Sign in with
Your question

Calling all experts my 2 hard drives have broken down

Last response: in Storage
May 28, 2006 7:24:02 PM

Hi guys hope someone can help me here I bought a piece of shit pc at pcworld 18 months ago and the 2 hard drives both 200gb have broke down and cant be repaired so I just want to know a few things on what to do next.

1.The warranty has gone on the pc so I have to buy a new hard drive and Im getting this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316693&view=detaile...
Komplett.ie - Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM

2.I Know how to put in the hard drive and take it out but whats worrying me is windows and the software with the pc.I bought the pc new so I didnt get any windows xp software disc and nero disc and so on.

3. So what I want to know is when I replace the 2 broken hard drives with a new one,how can I put windows and the rest of the software back on to the hard drive as I have no windows xp disc all I have is a recovery disc.

4.Like the only thing I can think of Is the recovery disc,is that how you do it or do I have to buy windows xp

As you can see I dont know much about computers so can someone help ous out and put my mind at rest thanks
May 28, 2006 11:47:33 PM

I'd call the manufacturer and see if there is some way you can use the recovery disk. You just replaced the hard drive so I should imagine there is a way of doing it. If not, you'll have to get a copy of XP and download the dirvers for he mobo from the mfg website. Any software you don't have backed up, e.g., on a CD, you'll have to download again and if you can't download them, I guess your sol for those programs. There are companies that will recover data from a borken hard drive but don't know much about with them.
May 29, 2006 5:22:04 PM

Thanks for the help man I hope the recovery disk works as all I want is windows xp and the programs that came with the pc ie factory settings I will now in 2 or 3 days when my new seagate hd arrives.Fingers crossed it will work as I will throw it in the bin if I have to go out and by windows xp for it.
Related resources
May 29, 2006 8:33:57 PM

The recovery disk is usually set up to only work on the computer it came with and I'm not sure how this is set up. I would imagine the computer mfg or Microsoft could activate it if it won't just install on the new hdd. Check the Support section of the mfg web site. Who is the mfg and what is the Model designation of the computer? If you have to get XP, I just picked up an OEM version at newegg.com for $85 or $90. I really didn't mind paying this much because Bill Gates like some of these high paid atheletes have a family to feed. :D 
May 30, 2006 10:27:18 PM

Did both drives die at once?

If so have to consider the possiblity that the drives are fine and its the motherboard that has the problem (specifically the IDE controller).

You may also want to check that the drives are getting adequate ventilation.

A PC should have an intake and an exhaust fan with no major obstrucitons to airflow. Also if you mount two HDs next to each other you will want a fan blowing directly on them to prevent overheating.
!