Xi-Fi and USB microphone

Anyone have any idea how (or if) you can get a Xi-Fi (Extreme Music) to recognise a USB microphone instead of the 3.5mm Jack Microphone.

I'm not finding the software to be particularly intuitive.

Thanks in advance.

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I am not positive. But no. USB deviceis need there own drivers and are completly different then anything else. they wont do anything with any of you other hardware.

I saw your response and was starting to think that this might be a similar but opposite (in a way) situation. I can kind of understand it from the output side, as the amplification stages are an important part of the function and quality of the card. I'd have thought that the digital input side would be treated differently as you can input from CD which is off card via a bus, as would a USB mic be.

halcyon

Splendid
Surely, he knows he can still use his USB mic, I think, and I could be wrong, that he's wondering if he can use it directly with his X-Fi and utilize the X-Fi Creation mode and all their glory.

Can he do that with a USB Mic?

Go to Control panel/Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices/Adjust the system volume/ Audio tab and choose your USB mic under the Sound recording section.

I've just looked found it was set like you suggested, but still can't get it to recognise and record from a USB mic, it works ok in messenger, but can't talk in BF2. Am having to use a secondary mic plugged into the mic jack.

Is the software really unfriendly or is it just sufficiently different to be difficult?

Surely, he knows he can still use his USB mic, I think, and I could be wrong, that he's wondering if he can use it directly with his X-Fi and utilize the X-Fi Creation mode and all their glory.

Can he do that with a USB Mic?

Nope I didn't know I could use one, not all that interested in the fancy crystallisation stuff really, at least not for capturing sounds. Thanks for the thought though.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I agree with the first response. I have had both USB mics and mics that plug into the sound card. I think that any USB sound device will not be picked up by the sound card which is why many high end head set / mic combinations are offered with dedicated USB sound cards such as the Steel Sound 5H and Icemat Siberia.

You might be out of luck.

For more help you might want to post this on the site of the sound card manufacturer.

Thanks Waylander, need to dismantle machine and get to serial No. before I can register and therefore post with creative.

Will do at some point soon though.

With such limited numbers of PCI slots on next gen Mobos what will happen, USB2.0 card for extra ports, decent sound card, video capture cards, headset cards, and NF5 only supports 2xPCI?

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
I just ordered a Logitech USB microphone --- will I be able to use it in Counter Strike: Source instead of the MIC jack on the back of my creative card?

I just ordered a Logitech USB microphone --- will I be able to use it in Counter Strike: Source instead of the MIC jack on the back of my creative card?

I also have a Logitech USB mic. and the answer is I don't know, I can use the logitech ok on Messenger and Skype etc. so pure windows recognises it as Heyyou27 wrote, but I can't get the Xi-Fi card to recognise it. That's not to say it can't be done, just that I can't find out how to do it.

halcyon

Splendid
13th, seriously...I don't think the X-Fi can recognize input and output devices that are not connected to it...in fact, I'm pretty certain that such devices simply compete with it (well, maybe compete is too strong a word). From what I understand from your earlier posts, you want to be able to use the X-Fi for output and the USB mic for input in a certain game? So the question is will the game allow you to assign different input and output devices? That's the first place I'd look...but you may have indeed already checked that.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Been away from this for awhile but I was thinking, there is no physical connection between the usb and the sound card and the motherboard communicates with the sound card through the pci slot (also power of course) but what about connecting the "aux" from the motherboard to the sound card?

halcyon

Splendid
Xi-Fi appears to disable the mobo sound, its just seems bizzare that it can't pick up on another digital signl coming through the PCI slot. that should even be patchable.

I know that X-Fi will work along side an SB Live Value! in the adjacent PCI slot. That's the config I'm running now. I'm able to choose which card outputs via CP's Sound and Audio Devices applet. I'm further able to assign the input of one card to the output of the other card or my HK Soundsticks that register as as seperate output device.