Viewing a web cam from my PPC HP4150

November 12, 2004 2:39:20 AM

I have a web cam installed at my factory so I can overview production online
from my home PC. Is it possible to view the web cam from my PPC?

I believe I need java tu run my web cam application.

Thanks in advance

Joel
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 1:13:36 PM

Not really necessary to run Java on the PPC : As long as thw web cam
creates a web page with a standard image type (JPEG, GIF etc) it'll be
fine.

The webcam software normally makes a web page with a `refresh`, so as
the page updates every minute (lets say) it grabs a new copy of the
image from whatever PC is sending the image, evey time it reloads.

The only place you may need Java is in the software which generates
the image. But that'll be on the PC ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:39:20 -0600, "Joel H Villanueva"
<joelhvillanueva@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

>I have a web cam installed at my factory so I can overview production online
>from my home PC. Is it possible to view the web cam from my PPC?
>
>I believe I need java tu run my web cam application.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Joel

Anonymous
November 12, 2004 1:21:36 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not really necessary to run Java on the PPC : As long as thw web cam
> creates a web page with a standard image type (JPEG, GIF etc) it'll be
> fine.
>
> The webcam software normally makes a web page with a `refresh`, so as
> the page updates every minute (lets say) it grabs a new copy of the
> image from whatever PC is sending the image, evey time it reloads.
>
> The only place you may need Java is in the software which generates
> the image. But that'll be on the PC ;-)
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:39:20 -0600, "Joel H Villanueva"
> <joelhvillanueva@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
>
>>I have a web cam installed at my factory so I can overview production
>>online
>>from my home PC. Is it possible to view the web cam from my PPC?
>>
>>I believe I need java tu run my web cam application.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>
>>Joel

Who would you go about viewing a streaming video image on a PPC?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 3:24:48 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:21:36 -0000, "Kimball K Kinnison"
<nospam.please@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Not really necessary to run Java on the PPC : As long as thw web cam
>> creates a web page with a standard image type (JPEG, GIF etc) it'll be
>> fine.
>>
>> The webcam software normally makes a web page with a `refresh`, so as
>> the page updates every minute (lets say) it grabs a new copy of the
>> image from whatever PC is sending the image, evey time it reloads.
>>
>> The only place you may need Java is in the software which generates
>> the image. But that'll be on the PC ;-)
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:39:20 -0600, "Joel H Villanueva"
>> <joelhvillanueva@prodigy.net.mx> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a web cam installed at my factory so I can overview production
>>>online
>>>from my home PC. Is it possible to view the web cam from my PPC?
>>>
>>>I believe I need java tu run my web cam application.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>>
>>>Joel
>>>

>Who would you go about viewing a streaming video image on a PPC?

Your definition of streaming and mine might differ. It's not going to
be an image if it 'streams', rather it will be video.

In that case you need to define the format of the video you're
producing and then we can suggest solutions ;-)

An example might be if you used windows media encoder on a webcam
attached to the PC. And you set it up to capture from the camera, or
even lets say on-screen content from a program window, once per
second.

This would create a stream which can be broadcast, and picked up by
any network attached PC or PPC.

You'd have to use windows media 8 or 9 video codec rather than the
screen capture codec for the PPC to read it. But it would work fine,
you'd point your PPC's media player to the IP address and port number
of the media encoder PC (the port is needed to identify the encoder
service, that's where it broadcasts from).

All you'd need to do then once it was running, is make sure the
firewall on the PC was open to the outside on that port number - Zone
alarm can do this (not too sure about the XP firewall).

HTH
Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:24:30 PM

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:21:36 -0000, "Kimball K Kinnison"
> <nospam.please@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Not really necessary to run Java on the PPC : As long as thw web cam
>>> creates a web page with a standard image type (JPEG, GIF etc) it'll be
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> The webcam software normally makes a web page with a `refresh`, so as
>>> the page updates every minute (lets say) it grabs a new copy of the
>>> image from whatever PC is sending the image, evey time it reloads.
>>>
>>> The only place you may need Java is in the software which generates
>>> the image. But that'll be on the PC ;-)
>>>
>>> Cheers - Neil

>>Who would you go about viewing a streaming video image on a PPC?
>
> Your definition of streaming and mine might differ. It's not going to
> be an image if it 'streams', rather it will be video.
>
> In that case you need to define the format of the video you're
> producing and then we can suggest solutions ;-)
>
> An example might be if you used windows media encoder on a webcam
> attached to the PC. And you set it up to capture from the camera, or
> even lets say on-screen content from a program window, once per
> second.
>
> This would create a stream which can be broadcast, and picked up by
> any network attached PC or PPC.
>
> You'd have to use windows media 8 or 9 video codec rather than the
> screen capture codec for the PPC to read it. But it would work fine,
> you'd point your PPC's media player to the IP address and port number
> of the media encoder PC (the port is needed to identify the encoder
> service, that's where it broadcasts from).
>
> All you'd need to do then once it was running, is make sure the
> firewall on the PC was open to the outside on that port number - Zone
> alarm can do this (not too sure about the XP firewall).
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil

I have a Axis Network Camera at home and I would like to be able to view the
video it produces on my PPC.
An example of an axis network camera can be found at.

http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html (This is PluNet My home ISP)

There is a webcam icon about half way down on the right. Click this and then
chose a camera to look at.

I would give the link to my own camera but the last time I did it was
swamped!

I can view a still image from my own camera as a JPG on my PPC (an HP5450)
but not the video.
Anyone any suggestions?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:24:31 PM

>> http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html <<

Pretty impressive...

It does use java and the image is a cgi address so, while I have not run
it on a ppc, would expect problems.

Here's the video image address of one of the three demo camera outputs
if someone has the ability to try in on a ppc before I do;

http://195.166.137.248/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?11002747...

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 6:57:43 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:24:30 -0000, "Kimball K Kinnison"
<nospam.please@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:21:36 -0000, "Kimball K Kinnison"
>> <nospam.please@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>>Who would you go about viewing a streaming video image on a PPC?
>>
>> Your definition of streaming and mine might differ. It's not going to
>> be an image if it 'streams', rather it will be video.
>>
>> In that case you need to define the format of the video you're
>> producing and then we can suggest solutions ;-)
>>
>> An example might be if you used windows media encoder on a webcam
>> attached to the PC. And you set it up to capture from the camera, or
>> even lets say on-screen content from a program window, once per
>> second.
>>
>> This would create a stream which can be broadcast, and picked up by
>> any network attached PC or PPC.
>>
>> You'd have to use windows media 8 or 9 video codec rather than the
>> screen capture codec for the PPC to read it. But it would work fine,
>> you'd point your PPC's media player to the IP address and port number
>> of the media encoder PC (the port is needed to identify the encoder
>> service, that's where it broadcasts from).
>>
>> All you'd need to do then once it was running, is make sure the
>> firewall on the PC was open to the outside on that port number - Zone
>> alarm can do this (not too sure about the XP firewall).
>>
>> HTH
>> Cheers - Neil
>>

>I have a Axis Network Camera at home and I would like to be able to view the
>video it produces on my PPC.
>An example of an axis network camera can be found at.
>
> http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html (This is PluNet My home ISP)
>
>There is a webcam icon about half way down on the right. Click this and then
>chose a camera to look at.
>
>I would give the link to my own camera but the last time I did it was
>swamped!
>
>I can view a still image from my own camera as a JPG on my PPC (an HP5450)
>but not the video.
>Anyone any suggestions?

No, you wouldn't be able to. That page installs an ActiveX control
(you'll have seen a popup the first time it ran asking did you want to
install it). The pocket PC generally doesn't support any ActiveX
drive-by downloads so there's no way to view it using the Axis control

Instead as I said you'll probably want to set up a streaming server.
Be aware though, that being swamped is really a function of how many
people are connected and how much bandwidth you have outgoing.

If it's just your PPC camera it'll probably be fine, you might even
get 2-5 frames per second if you used a media stream.

I'd suggest downloading the encoder from here, see if you can get it
to recognise and connect to your camera, then go from there :
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/e...

You'll want to tell the encoder to Output to Broadcast, rather than
encode to file (although you can do that at the same time for a
security archive if you like). The only problem will be it's one
source at a time, so no way to switch on the fly between several
cameras witout writing some code to stop and restart the encoder.

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:18:40 PM

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:
[...]
> I have a Axis Network Camera at home and I would like to be able to
> view the video it produces on my PPC.
> An example of an axis network camera can be found at.
[...]
> I can view a still image from my own camera as a JPG on my PPC (an
> HP5450) but not the video.
> Anyone any suggestions?

If it's the company that google first throws up, then their "AXIS Camera
Explorer (ACE) for Pocket PC" might be worth a look -
http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/index.htm.

Tony
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:57:19 PM

Tony A. wrote:
> Kimball K Kinnison wrote:
> [...]
>
>>I have a Axis Network Camera at home and I would like to be able to
>>view the video it produces on my PPC.
>>An example of an axis network camera can be found at.
>
> [...]
>
>>I can view a still image from my own camera as a JPG on my PPC (an
>>HP5450) but not the video.
>>Anyone any suggestions?
>>

> If it's the company that google first throws up, then their "AXIS Camera
> Explorer (ACE) for Pocket PC" might be worth a look -
> http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/index.htm.

Joel

Yes, AXIS Camera Explorer will do what you want. I refused to pay the
£80 for the application after the demo time ran out so I wrote my own,
in my spare time, that has less bugs and more features. It does full
video mjpg streaming. I use it with my Axis 241Q video server.
Ironically, it appears to be slower on my HX4700 than my H4150.

Nikki
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 8:30:17 PM

"Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message

> Tony A. wrote:
>> Kimball K Kinnison wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>>I have a Axis Network Camera at home and I would like to be able to
>>>view the video it produces on my PPC.
>>>An example of an axis network camera can be found at.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>>I can view a still image from my own camera as a JPG on my PPC (an
>>>HP5450) but not the video.
>>>Anyone any suggestions?
>>>

>> If it's the company that google first throws up, then their "AXIS Camera
>> Explorer (ACE) for Pocket PC" might be worth a look -
>> http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/index.htm.
>
> Joel
>
> Yes, AXIS Camera Explorer will do what you want. I refused to pay the £80
> for the application after the demo time ran out so I wrote my own, in my
> spare time, that has less bugs and more features. It does full video mjpg
> streaming. I use it with my Axis 241Q video server. Ironically, it appears
> to be slower on my HX4700 than my H4150.
>

> Nikki

Is the one you wrote available? ;)
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 8:59:43 PM

Kimball K Kinnison wrote:

> "Nikki Casali" <nikki@ncSasPali.deAmoMn.co.uk> wrote in message
>

>>Tony A. wrote:
>>
>>>Kimball K Kinnison wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>>

>>>If it's the company that google first throws up, then their "AXIS Camera
>>>Explorer (ACE) for Pocket PC" might be worth a look -
>>>http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/index.htm.
>>
>>Joel
>>
>>Yes, AXIS Camera Explorer will do what you want. I refused to pay the £80
>>for the application after the demo time ran out so I wrote my own, in my
>>spare time, that has less bugs and more features. It does full video mjpg
>>streaming. I use it with my Axis 241Q video server. Ironically, it appears
>>to be slower on my HX4700 than my H4150.
>>

>>Nikki
>>

> Is the one you wrote available? ;)

The application is written specifically for the 241Q as that is the only
mjpg stream it has been designed for. I think there are very subtle
differences between Axis' video streams. I would need you to send me a
link, to my personal email, so that I can scrutinise the stream to
determine if it's compatible. The application would probably only need a
minor change, but futher gui changes would need to be made to make it
more user friendly, for example, the authentication details are
hardcoded!. But is is SE_VGA compatible! I link directly to the stream,
example: http://AxisCamera/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi, would suffice.

Nikki
November 13, 2004 11:39:46 AM

I have a Toshiba IK-WB01A network camera... it's wireless/wired, and
generates its own webpage, which can be used to control and view. I've had
no problem connecting to it with my laptop and my tower (using both the
802.11b and the ethernet interfaces), but when I try to use my Ipaq2215, all
I can get is the control function. That is, I can make the lens pan and tilt
by remote control, but there isn't an image from the camera on the Ipaq
screen. Any suggestions?

m9876c at yahoo dot com
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 11:39:47 AM

On a long shot, have you tried turning off the "fit page" option on the browsers. I've notice other web pages that hide controls when they are fit to screen.

nntp://news.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.pocketpc/<10pc3l4kqans8ae@corp.supernews.com>

I have a Toshiba IK-WB01A network camera... it's wireless/wired, and
generates its own webpage, which can be used to control and view. I've had
no problem connecting to it with my laptop and my tower (using both the
802.11b and the ethernet interfaces), but when I try to use my Ipaq2215, all
I can get is the control function. That is, I can make the lens pan and tilt
by remote control, but there isn't an image from the camera on the Ipaq
screen. Any suggestions?

m9876c at yahoo dot com

[microsoft.public.pocketpc]
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 12:41:01 AM

x wrote:
> I have a Toshiba IK-WB01A network camera... it's wireless/wired, and
> generates its own webpage, which can be used to control and view. I've had
> no problem connecting to it with my laptop and my tower (using both the
> 802.11b and the ethernet interfaces), but when I try to use my Ipaq2215, all
> I can get is the control function. That is, I can make the lens pan and tilt
> by remote control, but there isn't an image from the camera on the Ipaq
> screen. Any suggestions?

The web page most probably has an ActiveX control embedded in it that
receives the stream of video. ActiveX controls are machine dependent,
they are compiled for x86 type processors. A Pocket PC will not be able
to execute this type of control and Pocket Internet Explorer won't even
attempt to download it.

There's also the possibility that the web page has a Java applet
instead, but PIE will not be able load this either as it doesn't have a
Java Virtual Machine to execute it. But I have had success with the
NetFront's alternative web browser and Java add-on.

Nikki
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:22:25 AM

If you can tell us the web page address (MUNG IT A BIT or you'll get
buried ;-) then I can take a look and tell you why it should or
shouldn't work and get some suggestions.

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 08:39:46 -0500, "x" <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I have a Toshiba IK-WB01A network camera... it's wireless/wired, and
>generates its own webpage, which can be used to control and view. I've had
>no problem connecting to it with my laptop and my tower (using both the
>802.11b and the ethernet interfaces), but when I try to use my Ipaq2215, all
>I can get is the control function. That is, I can make the lens pan and tilt
>by remote control, but there isn't an image from the camera on the Ipaq
>screen. Any suggestions?
>
>m9876c at yahoo dot com

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 1:22:26 AM

You can try this link, it is the application I am trying to access using my
PPC.:

http://www.technovision.co.kr/eng/products/security-cam...

Indeed it loads an activeX control in order to work.

Is it possible to say windows media player in the PPC instead to see video,

Thanks

Joel

!