Trying to set up RAID 0

Jackpine

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Although I have studied the motherboard manual, I am not sure how to configure my two data drives as RAID 0. This is what I have done so far:

WD 250MB SATA2 installed on SATA1 (red). IDE Configuration set to Standard IDE. Windows XP loaded onto that drive. Windows XP runs fine.

Now, I want to install 2 WD 250GB SATA2 drives and configure them as RAID 0. I am thinking that I plug them into the SATA3 and SATA4 (black) connectors. According to the mobo manual, I have to change the IDE configuration in BIOS to Configure SATA as RAID before I can set up the RAID 0 using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM Utility.

But if I do that, what happens to the Standard IDE setting I had previously for my boot drive? Won't that change?

I really need some guidance here because I am at a loss on how to do this.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Although I have studied the motherboard manual, I am not sure how to configure my two data drives as RAID 0. This is what I have done so far:

WD 250MB SATA2 installed on SATA1 (red). IDE Configuration set to Standard IDE. Windows XP loaded onto that drive. Windows XP runs fine.

Now, I want to install 2 WD 250GB SATA2 drives and configure them as RAID 0. I am thinking that I plug them into the SATA3 and SATA4 (black) connectors. According to the mobo manual, I have to change the IDE configuration in BIOS to Configure SATA as RAID before I can set up the RAID 0 using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM Utility.

But if I do that, what happens to the Standard IDE setting I had previously for my boot drive? Won't that change?

I really need some guidance here because I am at a loss on how to do this.

SATA I and SATA II busses should be seperate and you should be able to controller them differently in BIOS. If not, it does not matter, when you build the RAID array only include the two drives you want to use on the array. The third drive will operate just fine.

BobtheDead

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
For a little clarity; Why slots 3 and 4? Are you adding 2 more harddrives (in raid) seperate from the one in slot1? Or, areyou are trying to sneak a second, identical harddrive in with your boot drive? Regardless, when you set for raid, the raid setup screen will most likely prompt that 'all data will be lost', thusly losing your winxp boot and files. A work-around for this would invlove an IDE drive, backing up winxp onto the drive, powering down and placing that drive someplace safe while you tinker around with bios and raid. Once you have raid figgured out, get that harddrive backup onto your raid array.

Now, concerning your "standard ide" question. The answer is really motherboard specific. The board on this pc only has a pair of sata connectors and allows for "ide styled", independant operation, or raid. However my real pc and not this one has 3 pair of raid capable connectors; 4 sata and 1 IDE. That board in particular WILL support single, non-raid on a pair of connectors and raid on the others, or vice-versa. So, without a link to your motherboards website, its tough to further say what it can and cant do.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
No he won't lose his boot drive! When you build a RAID array you tell the RAID uliity what drives you wish to build into the array. All other drives are NOT AFFECTED by the operation, it does not matter if they are connected to the SATA bus or not.

Your second paragraph about Standard IDE is valid however. :)

Jackpine

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
To clarify: I have the Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard. I have installed one HDD in the SATA1 slot. Windows XP is installed on this drive. I now want to install 2 additional HDDs in the SATA3 and SATA4 slots, and configure them in RAID 0.

My understanding of what shadowduck says is that I can keep the IDE Configuration as "Standard IDE", and when I press Ctrl l, I only have to specify the two new HDDs that I want to configure. Is that correct?

Also, I don't believe that I need to install any RAID drivers. Is that also correct?

thanks.

BobtheDead

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
It would be prudent to back your os regardless: all it takes is 1 mistyping in the setup screen to acccidently get your sata1 drive to become hosed.

Regardless, its your os and not mine =d

TRENDING THREADS