Decisions..Decisions...

Tenshigure

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Hey all,

I've been around for quite a while, just never really posted until now. I've been custom building my own PCs for about 10 years now (well, technically it's been for other people, last one I built for myself was 2 years ago), and now that I finally have a PAID job where I can actually afford purchasing my own PC once more, I'm FINALLY going to bite the bullet and get myself some uber gear after dealing with crapty second-hand parts for quite a while now.

Let me get a little background here first. I'm an American who has accepted a job in Canada, and due to the fact I was moving into a PC-related job, I left my fossil of a machine to my brother as a parting graduation present. Currently I'm not able to actually get paid real money just get for the job, so for my first contract they're giving me the option of two PCs I can take home for personal use. They are as follows:

- Option 1: Dual-core 3.0GHz 800MHz Pentium 4 Prescott mPGA-478 w/Hyperthreading Technology
ASUS P4S800D-X Motherboard
ATI Radeon 7000-Series AGP Video Card (to hell if I know which one, but it's old, 64MB)
Basic DVD-ROM
512MB DDR Memory
120GB Western Digital HDD
19" Flatscreen LCD Monitor

- Option 2: Acer 1640 Notebook Computer
Pentium M 740 1.73GHz Processor
Integrated Graphics (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 128MB)
512GB DDR2 Memory
Dual Layer DVD-RW Burner
80GB HDD
15.4" WXGA Display

Let me make note that I WILL be building myself a mega-rig as soon as I can afford it (hopefully by September or October), and going to try to put as much aside as I can (going to try to get $1,500+ saved). More or less, here's the two options I have:

- Take the notebook computer for now, and then when I have the money just buy a completely new machine.

- Boost the first computer enough for the time being (adding RAM, a DVD Burner, and a better Graphics Card mostly) that will in turn be used for the new rig once money is saved.

I have a feeling that I'm more than likely going to be taking the notebook computer, seeing that it does have decent enough power behind it, though I wouldn't be able to use it too much for major gaming just yet (*tear*), mostly because of the fact that when I do build my mega-rig, it'll be using the latest technology as far as graphics & memory is concerned (PCIe isn't supported on the above motherboard, and I wants me some sweet speed). It's extremely difficult to pass up a dual-core 3.0GHz P4 though...

But hey, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the matter because, after all, I haven't been keeping up to date TOO much as far as the best tech/best way to spread the love as far as my money for a new PC. So here's my questions:

- Should I take the desktop and scrap it for parts on a new PC, or take the notebook and just buy a completely new rig altogther when I build a new PC?

- With a planned purchase date of late September / early October, what would be the best way to go with spending a $1,500 - $2,000 budget on a PC? I do not plan on OCing, but I may change my mind. Keep in mind I'm in Canuck-ville, so no NewEgg for me (more than likely be buying parts from TigerDirect.ca).

Let me hear what you guys think!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Take the notebook, and don't even think about touching that desktop. Dual core 3.0GHz is nothing special, and it get smacked around by basically everything AMD has. However, in your building time frame, Conroe will be out, which is what you want to use. It wont work with the desktop, so there is no reason to get a subpar system now, just to have to throw it out later. Take the notebook (which will be useful on-site for your work too) and run. Boost the memory in the notebook to 1GB though.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I agree, take the note book. You can always get an external mouse and keyboard and when you're ready to buy a monitor, you can always hook it up to the note book untill you get your system built.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i will have to aggree as well. the processor is far to small to use in the new system anyway, and with some more RAM you might be able to play games at low quality settings untill then.