CPU overheating and mb (I'm freaked out!)

SamTheMan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
ok these are my pc specs:

AMd fx 60 dual core on water cooling. (Cooler master liquid cooling kit)
corsair 512MB XMS PC3200 PC400 DDR x 4
ASUS A8N32SLI NF4-SLI 2-X16PCIE
2 geforce 7800 gtx pcie x16
1 nvidia quadro nvs 440 on pcie x1 slot
250GB SATA II 3.GB 7200RPM 8MB
Case is coolmaster praetorian 730 rc-730 aluminum tower

Ok guys, I've had this pc for three months so far with no problems. Last week I added the nvidia quadro nvs 440 and pc was working just fine, until today. Although I did notice some slow down playing a pc game, but today it totally crashed, and I realized it was because it overheated, but I didn't know by how much. I usually checked the tempreture through the nvidia thingie in dispay setting advanced, it shows GPU core tempreture, and ambient tempreture. It didn't seem that bad (It was in the 50's), but I installed the asus Probe program to find out exactly what the temp was. OMG, it says my CPU is 100C, WTH? and my MB is going between 48 and 50C. Now I'm not a big PC guy, but 100C is like impossible? I freaked out and shut down my pc immediately

I don't know what to do, or how to fix it. I opened the case and turned it on to see if I notice any fans not working, and they all seem to be working, then again I suck, and I probably wouldn't notice it anyway. Is it possible that the water cooler is broken? I don't even know how to mess with that thing. It was working fine for three months without a hitch, until now, one week after I installled another gfx card. I doubt this is because of an extra gfx card though. The air flow is fine, wires are placed properly. I bought this PC from Cyberpower, and thats whats bad. They have bad customer support.

Can someone give me any ideas? Does someone know of a company/person in the New York City area that I can hire to come to my house and fix it?

Thanks guys...

Edit: It may be worth noting that it recently became hot in New York City (Mid 80's) and There's no AC where the PC is located, so its quite hot and humid, although I doubt this is the problem either. I'm guessing the water cooling is broken?

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
It could be one of many things, though I seriously doubt that it was actually a hundred degrees celcius. Ambient temperature does affect the temperature of the computer, as that is the air it is trying to cool itself with it would make sense the the warmer the air, the hotter it will be. Also as to temperature, it can drop as much as ten degrees by the time you are able to view the reading. The first thing I would think of being wrong with the cooling system would be a blockage, air bubbles, or a busted pump. I'm not big on liquid cooling systems, but with this bump, you will likely get a more helpful response. If not, this will get you started. Good luck :wink: .

SamTheMan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
It could be one of many things, though I seriously doubt that it was actually a hundred degrees celcius. Ambient temperature does affect the temperature of the computer, as that is the air it is trying to cool itself with it would make sense the the warmer the air, the hotter it will be. Also as to temperature, it can drop as much as ten degrees by the time you are able to view the reading. The first thing I would think of being wrong with the cooling system would be a blockage, air bubbles, or a busted pump. I'm not big on liquid cooling systems, but with this bump, you will likely get a more helpful response. If not, this will get you started. Good luck :wink: .

Thank you for the reply. I couldn't believe it myself, that's why i'm freaked out. It actually said 100C CPU temprature.

If someone can reccommend a reputable PC repair man/company in the NYC area, I'd greatly apperciate it. I'd repair it myself if I knew what the problem was, and how to do it, but I don't even know what the problem is yet. Like I said before, I'm guessing its the water cooling that is the problem since it had such an extreme temprature.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Well if you think it's the water cooling can you see it running? Is the pump going? Maybe spend a few bucks and get a flow meter to stick in the line and check. Or replace your cpu water block with a standard HSF and see if that helps.

I don't think too many places with try and repair your water cooling set up... too much liability. I think you are stuck with trying to fix it yourself.

sailer

Splendid
Maybe there's a breakdown of understanding, but it looks like you have three PCI-E cards installed in a board that only has two PCI-E slots. Or did you take out the two video cards and put in one?

Anyway, you may have caused an interference with the liquid cooling lines and now have no cooling being provided at all. First thing is to double check the liquid cooling lines. Next, take out the Nvidia card and return to the stock cards. If the CPU temp goes down, then the new card is interferring with something. Though you have a liquid cooling system, remember that airflow is still important for the total system. I'm not a fan of liquid cooling yet, as I haven't seen many systems that do all they're supposed to do. I still prefer lots of fans.

You're right about Cyberpower. I bought one of their computers and their tech support is bad. Would have been better off building a computer myself, but I needed something in a hurry. Little did I know that with all the problems that turned up, with the computer broken down and in their shop for repair, that I'd loose more time on that than if I had taken the time to gather parts and build it myself. I also looked at the Cyberpwoer liquid cooling system and concluded that it was a low end system that wasn't worth the money. Oh well, that's just an opinion, nothing more.

Live and learn, and try not to repeat mistakes.

SamTheMan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Maybe there's a breakdown of understanding, but it looks like you have three PCI-E cards installed in a board that only has two PCI-E slots. Or did you take out the two video cards and put in one?

Anyway, you may have caused an interference with the liquid cooling lines and now have no cooling being provided at all. First thing is to double check the liquid cooling lines. Next, take out the Nvidia card and return to the stock cards. If the CPU temp goes down, then the new card is interferring with something. Though you have a liquid cooling system, remember that airflow is still important for the total system. I'm not a fan of liquid cooling yet, as I haven't seen many systems that do all they're supposed to do. I still prefer lots of fans.

You're right about Cyberpower. I bought one of their computers and their tech support is bad. Would have been better off building a computer myself, but I needed something in a hurry. Little did I know that with all the problems that turned up, with the computer broken down and in their shop for repair, that I'd loose more time on that than if I had taken the time to gather parts and build it myself. I also looked at the Cyberpwoer liquid cooling system and concluded that it was a low end system that wasn't worth the money. Oh well, that's just an opinion, nothing more.

Live and learn, and try not to repeat mistakes.

Thanks for the tips, I will check it out to see if I notice anything. As far as the PCI question, I have two gf7 gtx's on x16 slots and a nvs quadro 440 on pcie x1/2 slot. You know the lil pcie slot on the side?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Check to see if you have a proper contact between the cpu and the cpu water block. Make sure you have a thermal paste on it. Check if your water cooling unit is working properly. See if there's a good amount of water flow and that the radiator fan(s) are working properly as well.

100c is kind of impossible since it should crack that cpu at that temps. Touch the water block while it's running as you should be able to feel it. At 100c that would burn your finger or if it's hot to the touch then that's too hot for the cpu, especially when it's water cooled.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, I see where you put the card. Its been my understanding that the use of that slot was mainly for networking or for as a stand alone card, not one that would combine with the other cards, but I'm not always on top of everything. I looked over the NVidia technical briefs and saw that it was more for workstations than for gaming or anything else, But, if that's what you do, fine enough. None the less, its position does make it more of a potential problem causer for the water cooling lines and blocking off air flow, thus adding to heat.

sailer

Splendid
You folks run hot! My CPU usually runs between 45c and 51c. Get some cooling going or a a frying pan out, cause you're going to be cooking up a storm at those temperatures.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The 100C reading was probably way off due to some kind of thermal sensor malfunction but it does indicate that something must be wrong with the cooling system.

Watercooling kits such as the one you have are heaps of mismatched and flimsy components, I would'nt be surprised if your waterblock is clogged up or the pump decided to end its miserable existance.

SamTheMan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Check to see if you have a proper contact between the cpu and the cpu water block. Make sure you have a thermal paste on it. Check if your water cooling unit is working properly. See if there's a good amount of water flow and that the radiator fan(s) are working properly as well.

100c is kind of impossible since it should crack that cpu at that temps. Touch the water block while it's running as you should be able to feel it. At 100c that would burn your finger or if it's hot to the touch then that's too hot for the cpu, especially when it's water cooled.

How do I check for water flow? I tried feeling the tubes where I assume the coolent flows through and I felt nothing. The radiator fan is working properly, but the waterblock is extremely hot. If I leave my finer there long enough (Maybe 10 seconds or less) I probably will get burned.

I'm guessing that I will have to purchase another water cooling kit. Maybe I should go with a regular heat sink fan this time? Perhaps a Zalman?

Thanks everyone.

sailer

Splendid
You can't feel anything, no vibration, or anything in the water lines? Sounds like your pump isn't working, and that leaves the water to just sit there and boil, no cooling action at all. A Zalman would be way better than what you have. You might also try calling Cyberpower, explain that the water cooling unit isn't working, and ask them to send you a replacement, provided its still under warrenty.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Clearly a dead pump if the waterblock is hot, STBU :?

No need to get another crappy watercooling kit, a high end HSF with heatpipes is cheaper, more reliable and provide better cooling than those rip-off kits.

Unless you are interested in building a real watercooling system, just get top notch air cooling...

SamTheMan

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Don't feel anything at all, no vibrations, and I don't hear anything. Also the waterblock is very hot to the touch.

I think I'm gonna go for the best HSF I can find since this water cooling kit has been a big disappointment.

I'm just happy that so far, the CPU isn't broken because of this.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Yep. I agree that would be the best bet. Save yourself a whole light of time and aggravation, spend about $50 to $60 for a great HSF combo and some Artic Silver thermal compound.

I'm using the Zalman CNPS7700cu (now $38.99 at NewEgg) on my X2 3800+. Overlocked to @ 2.2 ghz and under full load, I rarely get above 41 or 42C.

If you have the vertical room, you might also try the Zalman CNPS9500 with heat pipes ($47.99 at NewEgg).

hacky_maximus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
as others said, your WTC kit broke down, but maybe you can replace that broken pump ;) A HSF is very good, and fits nice in a tight budget. You dicide what to do next: fix that pump or get a HSF, but my advice is to go for a HSF.

linux_0

Splendid
Don't feel anything at all, no vibrations, and I don't hear anything. Also the waterblock is very hot to the touch.

I think I'm gonna go for the best HSF I can find since this water cooling kit has been a big disappointment.

As others have suggested it sure sounds like your water pump has died or has gotten clogged.

I would strongly recommend one of these for the CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118223

And a few of these for the VGA cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118117

I would shoot over and fix it for you but I'm almost 8 hours away :-/

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I havw a 2Ghz Optron 146 OC to 2.95 and it never gets above 38C on air.
Use a good cooler like the Thermalright SI-120 as I really think it cools the best.
Also the way that cooler is built it not just cools the CPU better than any I have seen but also cools the ram,voltage regulators at the same time.

Run hard,run fast,run cool.
Run with a Thermalright SI-120 (and use a Silverstone FM-121 fan).

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

nah man, watercooling is awesome if you have high quality hardware. Since you already have the blocks and lines ran, just invest in a higher quality pump. You've already saved yourself the cost of a repair call by way of this forum, and it sounds like you want the best you can get.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002

nah man, watercooling is awesome if you have high quality hardware. Since you already have the blocks and lines ran, just invest in a higher quality pump. You've already saved yourself the cost of a repair call by way of this forum, and it sounds like you want the best you can get.

True, watercooling is great when it is done the right way, unfortunately, kits tend to have restrictive hoses, weak pumps, innefective rads and poorly designed blocks.

Depending on which kit he got (model and version please), it may not be worth it to replace the pump (not even an option in some cases) if the rest the components are sub-par.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
The last thing you need is for it to start leaking as you're trying to repair the system

Obviously, a watercooling system should be completely drained and removed from the case before any attempts to service it, I also recommend a 24 hours leaktest (preferably with the pump on) and securing every single fittings with an a screw driven hose clamp (I only thrust barbed fittings, quick-fit and lock-nut fittings are unreliable) before mounting it back into the case.

I tend to skip the leaktesting myself, regardless, do as I say (not as I do).

linux_0

Splendid
The last thing you need is for it to start leaking as you're trying to repair the system

Obviously, a watercooling system should be completely drained and removed from the case before any attempts to service it, I also recommend a 24 hours leaktest (preferably with the pump on) before mounting it back into the case.

I tend to skip the leaktesting myself, regardless, do as I say (not as I do).

Indeed :-D

I prefer air myself.