New fresh system. What to put on?

Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2005 2:45:57 AM

I am itching to get a new system. Something like:

P4 3.0
1 GB Ram
Geoforce??
200 GB HD

I have had a passion for flight for over 40 years. Finances and my wife are
keeping me from getting my ticket. But I recently discovered this NG and I
have become aware of a whole new world of simming. I have a retail copy of
FS2004. I'm not sure what version it is. I have read here about 9.1??? or
something.

There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3 or
4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics. I fly
mostly in southern California and Arizona if that helps narrow it down. Also
what does each add-on do?

Thanks,
Andy

More about : fresh system put

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:45:58 AM

Welcome, Andy!
9.1 is the patch issued by Microsoft for FS 2004. FS 2004 is also
referred to as FS 9. And Century of Flight.
If I could only afford one add-on, it would be FS Navigator. It contains the
mapped globe and it's easy to zoom into any part of the world and see the
airports, NAVAIDS, etc. It makes flying from point A to point B easy...and
lets you concentrate on flying the aircraft. And your aircraft is displayed
on the map so you know where you are and the direction you are flying.
When I started sim-flying decades ago, FS Nav was the first add-on I used
(it was free then) and doubles the fun of flying.
I also fly mainly in Arizona, but on an urge will pop to any interesting
place on the globe!
Tom
"Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I am itching to get a new system. Something like:
>
> P4 3.0
> 1 GB Ram
> Geoforce??
> 200 GB HD
>
> I have had a passion for flight for over 40 years. Finances and my wife
> are keeping me from getting my ticket. But I recently discovered this NG
> and I have become aware of a whole new world of simming. I have a retail
> copy of FS2004. I'm not sure what version it is. I have read here about
> 9.1??? or something.
>
> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3
> or 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics. I
> fly mostly in southern California and Arizona if that helps narrow it
> down. Also what does each add-on do?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:45:58 AM

Andy:

The retail copy is likely v. 9.0. After you load the retail version,
you may add the 9.1 patch (free, at the Microsoft web site).

As for add-on's, I recently asked that question, and most folks voted
for the 38 meter terrain mesh from FS Genesis (payware if you buy a
disc-full, or freeware if you download one section at a time from Avsim.
Over a cable modem, it took maybe one hour total). I was also advised
to purchase Ultimate Terrain ($35.00 or so). This provides nicer
textures, over the enhanced terrain mesh. UT does not affect water, and
everyone seems to have a favorite, there. Poke around on Avsim, and see
what looks good. While I recommended Ultimate Terrain above, this new
software from Bird's Eye View (not out yet?) looks pretty good.

Finally, consider downloading Flight Sim Manager (again, freeware at Avsim).

Have fun.

Andy L. wrote:
> I am itching to get a new system. Something like:
>
> P4 3.0
> 1 GB Ram
> Geoforce??
> 200 GB HD
>
> I have had a passion for flight for over 40 years. Finances and my wife are
> keeping me from getting my ticket. But I recently discovered this NG and I
> have become aware of a whole new world of simming. I have a retail copy of
> FS2004. I'm not sure what version it is. I have read here about 9.1??? or
> something.
>
> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3 or
> 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics. I fly
> mostly in southern California and Arizona if that helps narrow it down. Also
> what does each add-on do?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Related resources
August 23, 2005 10:43:35 AM

"Andy L."
> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3
or
> 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics.

My personal list in order of importance:

1) ActiveSky - dramatically impacts the environment's realism
http://www.hifisim.com/

2) FSNav - got rid of my huge stack of airport diagrams, sectionals and
printed flight plans.
http://www.fsnavigator.com/

3) Ultimate Terrain - enables you to fly VFR in the sim
http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utusa

Then get the free mesh for the areas you want to fly from Avsim.com. Search
under the author's name Justin Tyme.

The list goes on... but you did say 3. :-)

Dallas
August 23, 2005 3:16:08 PM

Do any of the add-ons add regional airports that are not on the default
FS2004 game? For example, There's an airport at Barwon Heads Victoria, with
dirt runways, and there's always about 6 small planes there. Would like to
be able to land and takeoff there, especially as it's right near where I
live! :-)
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Cat in the Hat" <garrett451@diespammerscox.net> wrote in message
> Welcome, Andy!
> 9.1 is the patch issued by Microsoft for FS 2004. FS 2004 is also
> referred to as FS 9. And Century of Flight.
> If I could only afford one add-on, it would be FS Navigator. It contains
> the mapped globe and it's easy to zoom into any part of the world and see
> the airports, NAVAIDS, etc. It makes flying from point A to point B
> easy...and lets you concentrate on flying the aircraft. And your aircraft
> is displayed on the map so you know where you are and the direction you
> are flying.
> When I started sim-flying decades ago, FS Nav was the first add-on I used
> (it was free then) and doubles the fun of flying.
> I also fly mainly in Arizona, but on an urge will pop to any interesting
> place on the globe!
> Tom
> "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I am itching to get a new system. Something like:
>>
>> P4 3.0
>> 1 GB Ram
>> Geoforce??
>> 200 GB HD
>>
>> I have had a passion for flight for over 40 years. Finances and my wife
>> are keeping me from getting my ticket. But I recently discovered this NG
>> and I have become aware of a whole new world of simming. I have a retail
>> copy of FS2004. I'm not sure what version it is. I have read here about
>> 9.1??? or something.
>>
>> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3
>> or 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics. I
>> fly mostly in southern California and Arizona if that helps narrow it
>> down. Also what does each add-on do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy

August 23, 2005 4:31:09 PM

There is an free addon available for about 150 Victorian airports (don't
know if Barwon Heads is included but there is a good chance)
I cant remember the file name but Im sure it was on a scenery website that
people have posted here before. The site has heaps of aussie and NZ scenery

Anyone know which site Im thinking of? (John Ward might know)

Bryan

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> Do any of the add-ons add regional airports that are not on the default
> FS2004 game? For example, There's an airport at Barwon Heads Victoria,
> with dirt runways, and there's always about 6 small planes there. Would
> like to be able to land and takeoff there, especially as it's right near
> where I live! :-)
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!
> "Cat in the Hat" <garrett451@diespammerscox.net> wrote in message
>> Welcome, Andy!
>> 9.1 is the patch issued by Microsoft for FS 2004. FS 2004 is also
>> referred to as FS 9. And Century of Flight.
>> If I could only afford one add-on, it would be FS Navigator. It contains
>> the mapped globe and it's easy to zoom into any part of the world and see
>> the airports, NAVAIDS, etc. It makes flying from point A to point B
>> easy...and lets you concentrate on flying the aircraft. And your aircraft
>> is displayed on the map so you know where you are and the direction you
>> are flying.
>> When I started sim-flying decades ago, FS Nav was the first add-on I used
>> (it was free then) and doubles the fun of flying.
>> I also fly mainly in Arizona, but on an urge will pop to any interesting
>> place on the globe!
>> Tom
>> "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>I am itching to get a new system. Something like:
>>>
>>> P4 3.0
>>> 1 GB Ram
>>> Geoforce??
>>> 200 GB HD
>>>
>>> I have had a passion for flight for over 40 years. Finances and my wife
>>> are keeping me from getting my ticket. But I recently discovered this NG
>>> and I have become aware of a whole new world of simming. I have a retail
>>> copy of FS2004. I'm not sure what version it is. I have read here about
>>> 9.1??? or something.
>>>
>>> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to
>>> 3 or 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics.
>>> I fly mostly in southern California and Arizona if that helps narrow it
>>> down. Also what does each add-on do?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Andy

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:03:15 PM

Thank you Dallas. I have seen some of your screen shots and have been very
impressed. It might be the effect of quite a few more than 3 add-ons though?
Is Bird's Eye View to be added in addition to UT?
I want to enjoy "as real as it gets, plus" flight. The scenery is important
because of the visual (obviously), and I recently read about FSPassengers.
Takes flight to new level???

Thank you for all your help, I have found this group to be very (mostly)
civil and helpful.

> "Andy L."
>> There was a thread of must have add-ons recently. But boil that down to 3
> or
>> 4 max of the add-ons (other than aircraft) for scenery and basics.
>
> My personal list in order of importance:
>
> 1) ActiveSky - dramatically impacts the environment's realism
> http://www.hifisim.com/
>
> 2) FSNav - got rid of my huge stack of airport diagrams, sectionals and
> printed flight plans.
> http://www.fsnavigator.com/
>
> 3) Ultimate Terrain - enables you to fly VFR in the sim
> http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utusa
>
> Then get the free mesh for the areas you want to fly from Avsim.com.
> under the author's name Justin Tyme.
>
> The list goes on... but you did say 3. :-)
>

> Dallas

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:36:01 PM

http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

http://virtualvfr.com/pages/tassim.htm

http://www.westsim.com.au/

http://www.aussim.com.au/login_fail.asp?accessdenied=%2...
"Bryan" <Idontthinkso@tim.com> wrote in message
news:D ee1qa$25m1$1@otis.netspace.net.au...
> There is an free addon available for about 150 Victorian airports (don't
> know if Barwon Heads is included but there is a good chance)
> I cant remember the file name but Im sure it was on a scenery website that
> people have posted here before. The site has heaps of aussie and NZ
> scenery
>
> Anyone know which site Im thinking of? (John Ward might know)
>

> Bryan
>

> "Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
>> Do any of the add-ons add regional airports that are not on the default
>> FS2004 game? For example, There's an airport at Barwon Heads Victoria,
>> with dirt runways, and there's always about 6 small planes there. Would
>> like to be able to land and takeoff there, especially as it's right near
>> where I live! :-)
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> I'm not always right,
>> But I'm never wrong!
>> "Cat in the Hat" <garrett451@diespammerscox.net> wrote in message
>>> Welcome, Andy!
>>> 9.1 is the patch issued by Microsoft for FS 2004. FS 2004 is also
>>> referred to as FS 9. And Century of Flight.
>>> If I could only afford one add-on, it would be FS Navigator. It contains
>>> the mapped globe and it's easy to zoom into any part of the world and
>>> see the airports, NAVAIDS, etc. It makes flying from point A to point B
>>> easy...and lets you concentrate on flying the aircraft. And your
>>> aircraft is displayed on the map so you know where you are and the
>>> direction you are flying.
>>> When I started sim-flying decades ago, FS Nav was the first add-on I
>>> used (it was free then) and doubles the fun of flying.
>>> I also fly mainly in Arizona, but on an urge will pop to any interesting
>>> place on the globe!
>>> Tom
>>> "Andy L." <caldex@earthlink.net> wrote in message

August 24, 2005 3:01:35 AM

"Andy L."
> Thank you for all your help, I have found this group to be very (mostly)
> civil and helpful.

Welcome to the group.

> I want to enjoy "as real as it gets, plus" flight.

Hang out here and ask questions and you can invest your add-on dollars
wisely.

>I recently read about FSPassengers.
> Takes flight to new level???

If you intend to fly the big stuff, it might be a must have.

Dallas
!