Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the Professional Edition,
if I do that will I loose all the programs I have previously installed on XP
Home Edition?

In news:E82D5B49-1683-44D2-ADF4-20023980FBF5@microsoft.com,
Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the
> Professional
> Edition, if I do that will I loose all the programs I have
> previously
> installed on XP Home Edition?

By definition, an upgrade (as opposed to a clean installation)
means that all your programs, data, etc. are kept intact and
nothing is lost.

However, there are no guarantees. However unlikely, it's always
possible that something can go wrong, and you should be sure to
have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose.

But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP
Professional and Home are identical, except that Professional
includes a few features (mostly related to security and
networking) missing from Home? Most home users have no need for
these extra features and will see little or no benefit by
upgrading. Be sure that there are benefits there for you before
doing this.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In news:E82D5B49-1683-44D2-ADF4-20023980FBF5@microsoft.com,
> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the
> > Professional
> > Edition, if I do that will I loose all the programs I have
> > previously
> > installed on XP Home Edition?
>
> By definition, an upgrade (as opposed to a clean installation)
> means that all your programs, data, etc. are kept intact and
> nothing is lost.
>
> However, there are no guarantees. However unlikely, it's always
> possible that something can go wrong, and you should be sure to
> have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose.
>
> But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP
> Professional and Home are identical, except that Professional
> includes a few features (mostly related to security and
> networking) missing from Home? Most home users have no need for
> these extra features and will see little or no benefit by
> upgrading. Be sure that there are benefits there for you before
> doing this.

One other consideration. Based on other posts about the Home to Pro
upgrade, if you have already updated Home with SP2, you will be unable
to upgrade to Pro until you get your hands on a Pro CD that includes
SP2 slipstreamed onto the CD.

He should be able to roll back SP2.

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>> In news:E82D5B49-1683-44D2-ADF4-20023980FBF5@microsoft.com,
>> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>> > I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the
>> > Professional
>> > Edition, if I do that will I loose all the programs I have
>> > previously
>> > installed on XP Home Edition?
>>
>> By definition, an upgrade (as opposed to a clean installation)
>> means that all your programs, data, etc. are kept intact and
>> nothing is lost.
>>
>> However, there are no guarantees. However unlikely, it's always
>> possible that something can go wrong, and you should be sure to
>> have a backup of anything you can't afford to lose.
>>
>> But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP
>> Professional and Home are identical, except that Professional
>> includes a few features (mostly related to security and
>> networking) missing from Home? Most home users have no need for
>> these extra features and will see little or no benefit by
>> upgrading. Be sure that there are benefits there for you before
>> doing this.
>>
> One other consideration. Based on other posts about the Home to Pro
> upgrade, if you have already updated Home with SP2, you will be unable
> to upgrade to Pro until you get your hands on a Pro CD that includes
> SP2 slipstreamed onto the CD.

Upgrading from Home to Pro is a reasonable thing to do. I don't understand
Home users who get defensive about Home when others consider going beyond
it. Users who do upgrade generally grow into Pro as they widen their
interests. If the user is using any wireless devices Pro will certainly
offer better service and more security, but Pro has dozens of tools not
available in Home.

In news:uYvVXeBoEHA.2492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst@msn.com> typed:

> Upgrading from Home to Pro is a reasonable thing to do.

Certainly. I didn't say otherwise. Nevertheless, for *most* home
users, there is nothing in XP Professional that justifies the
cost of upgrading to it. They don't need to join a domain, they
don't run two processors, they don't run a web server, and they
don't need any of the other features that Professional adds.

Clearly, there are exceptions, and for *some* users, XP
Professional is the right choice. My last paragraph below is
meant to point out only that Tom should be sure that he needs or
would use some of these extra features. As I said, *most* home
users don't need them.

> I don't
> understand Home users who get defensive about Home when others
> consider going beyond it.

I am an XP Professional user, not a Home user, and I am not being
at all defensive. If Tom needs Professional, he should get it;
*most* home users don't and it's a waste of money for them, which
is why I cautioned him to be sure before upgrading.

> Users who do upgrade generally grow into
> Pro as they widen their interests.

I completely disagree with this. And even if it were true, the
time to upgrade to Professional is when their interests have
widened to the point that they need some of Professional's extra
features. There's no point in upgrading because you *may* need
some feature in the future.

Please reply to the newsgroup

If the user is using any wireless
> devices Pro will certainly offer better service and more
> security,
> but Pro has dozens of tools not available in Home.

>> In news:E82D5B49-1683-44D2-ADF4-20023980FBF5@microsoft.com,
>> Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the
>>> Professional
>>> Edition, if I do that will I loose all the programs I have
>>> previously installed on XP Home Edition?
>>

>> By definition, an upgrade (as opposed to a clean installation)
>> means
>> that all your programs, data, etc. are kept intact and nothing
>> is
>> lost.
>> However, there are no guarantees. However unlikely, it's
>> always
>> possible that something can go wrong, and you should be sure
>> to have
>> a backup of anything you can't afford to lose.
>>
>> But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP
>> Professional and Home are identical, except that Professional
>> includes a few features (mostly related to security and
>> networking)
>> missing from Home? Most home users have no need for these
>> extra
>> features and will see little or no benefit by upgrading. Be
>> sure
>> that there are benefits there for you before doing this.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Hi

No, you shouldn't do. Your files, programs and settings should remain
intact, although you may like to backup your valuable data files beforehand.
I've never had any problems with the updgrade from XP Home to XP Pro.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm thinking about uprading from XP Home Edition to the Professional
> Edition,
> if I do that will I loose all the programs I have previously installed on
> XP
> Home Edition?

One other important item missing in XP Home is the backup program that is
installed by default in SP Professional.
It is available on your XP Home CD.
Yes, it is included! It’s just not installed by default.
To install Windows Backup you will need your Windows XP Home Edition CD. Use
Windows Explorer to open the \valueadd\Msft\Ntbackup folder and then double
click Ntbackup.msi
If your computer came with only a “system recovery� CD instead of a full
Windows CD, finding Ntbackup.msi is not so easy. I suggest that you contact
your computer manufacturer’s support people for instructions to locate and
install.
Once installed, it works exactly as in Windows XP Professional, with one
important exception. You can’t restore your system using Automated System
Recovery. If this is important to you, contact your manufacturer’s support
people

In news:22237D5B-B3E9-497C-9F06-97789A48BBA0@microsoft.com,
Chuck Davis <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> One other important item missing in XP Home is the backup
> program
> that is installed by default in SP Professional.

Personally, I don't consider that an important omission at all.
As backup programs go, it's probably the worst of those
available. Whether you use XP Professional or Home, I would
recommend a third-party backup solution.

And besides, as you yourself say, it's not really missing, just
not installed by default.

TRENDING THREADS