Lost XP login screen, failed repair of OS, now I've lost m..

I lost my login screen to Windows XP about 3 weeks ago. In my initial search
I found everything from viruses to corrupted login executeables. I ended up
reading an article that said to "Repair your windows installation using the
Repair Console". Since this seemed to be a viable approach I decided to try
it out. About half way through the repair process, a message box popped up
that said it could not find a file. I put the Windows XP CD into another
computer, found the file (since the popup did not have a browse feature) and
then typed in the path. Unfortunately it said it still could not find the
file. I tried every drive letter to no avail. So I HAD to exit the
"repair". Then each time I booted it would enter the "installation" step and
prompt me for the location of the file that it was looking for. After a few
more reboots and failed attempts to repair I gave up.

Anyway, I installed XP on another HD and started from scratch. Not a bad
thing to do anyway. The major problem now is when I try to view the HD that
failed, Windows Explorer shows only one file unless I enable hidden/system
files. Then the whole HD is an array of TEMP folders and files with no
discernable filenames.

Would anyone possibly know how to recover the data off the HD? There are
configuration files, pictures of my kids, emails, PST files, documents, etc.
that I would like to recover from the HD. Any information other than "you're
hosed" :)would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Good Day
River_Rat

[...]