Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Energy Efficient Small Form Factor**) $364

Maybe new or Not new news but this is awsome<< good for Energy efficient users

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
They also have Produced 35Watt TDP

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Energy Efficient Small Form Factor**) $364

Maybe new or Not new news but this is awsome<< good for Energy efficient users
And how much is that more expensive than normal S939 X2 3800+?

It's been a while since XP-M, A64-M DTR... my hands are getting itchy.

Around 40$ more expensive than the s939-energy efficient* 64Watt X2 3800+

Around 60-65$ more than the AM2 version and S939* non-efficient

The Chart and the Pricing information, It's all in the link provided in AMDs site via theinquirer site

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I really don't see the point, since those are only clocked higher. This will most likely impact AM2 sales, which (I think) AMD doesn't want.

that's a good point. good news for 939 owners though. maybe this is an excuse for them to keep 939 prices up.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
You have to question the sanity of AMD in regards to this. If they confine their top processors to the AM2 platform then at least they can give people the impression that AM2 is a worthwhile upgrade. If you can buy the same processor on 939 then why are you going to upgrade to AM2? Intel did a good job of moving people over to 775 from 478 even if there wasn't much to be gained in performance. I guess unlike Intel, Amd doesn't make money on chipset sales but still I think it's a bit silly not to at least give people a steady push in the direction of their new platform.

I really don't see the point, since those are only clocked higher. This will most likely impact AM2 sales, which (I think) AMD doesn't want.

that's a good point. good news for 939 owners though. maybe this is an excuse for them to keep 939 prices up.

I agree. It allows current owners some breathing room before they must upgrade to AM2 or to Conroe.

I think this will cannibalize some of AMD's AM2 sales, but it should keep a few AMD owners happy as well.

I'll grudgingly call it a win-win situation for both owners and AMD.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
"Smart Move" Is what i think when I see FX-62 and Athlon 64 5000+ avaliable for s939 because it gives s939 owners a chance to use their motherboards for a year or two more without being totally cut from AMD support. And give's AMd a chance to work on AM2 Socket a bit more(*since there is'nt any performance gain from it) and if you see closely They have also included a

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Energy Efficient Small Form Factor**)
at $364 which has a 35Watt TDP 8O 8O 8O Dual Core Moblie i say<<<

And its only 60$ more than a Regular 303$ Athlon64 X2 3800+, but at 1/3 its Energy usage

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Only problem is that if and when 939 is phased out, AMD will be stuck with a lot of people still on the 939 platform. Meaning that when they want to upgrade they're going to be forced to buy a whole new PC and if Conroe delivers then if you're having to buy a whole new system it's going to be an Intel......

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Only problem is that if and when 939 is phased out, AMD will be stuck with a lot of people still on the 939 platform. Meaning that when they want to upgrade they're going to be forced to buy a whole new PC and if Conroe delivers then if you're having to buy a whole new system it's going to be an Intel......

Well in 2 years AMD will have K8L and So much otherthing worked out and BETA tested to hit the market. AMD might have a plan of letting Intel have the Rest of this year and maybe the Q1'07 and then hit them with Low power consuming, 65nm Cores which they will produce at lower costs than the Core 2 Duo. And their Main marketing theme is going to be Energy Savings and Watt/performance ratio. Which most, if not all s939 users will gladly upgrade to AM2

And the Next year will hold Promise of AMD talking over the market from Intel or Staying where they are. It's all up to their Next Core maybe the K8l, but most likely it'll be the K9 that makes AMD

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Well in 2 years AMD will have K8L and So much otherthing worked out and BETA tested to hit the market. AMD might have a plan of letting Intel have the Rest of this year and maybe the Q1'07 and then hit them with Low power consuming, 65nm Cores which they will produce at lower costs than the Core 2 Duo. And their Main marketing theme is going to be Energy Savings and Watt/performance ratio. Which most, if not all s939 users will gladly upgrade to AM2

And the Next year will hold Promise of AMD talking over the market from Intel or Staying where they are. It's all up to their Next Core maybe the K8l, but most likely it'll be the K9 that makes AMD

I think things are going to be tight from here on out. if intel keeps it's "new architecture every two years" promise, we probably won't see the performance deline we saw with the aging P4 and the A64 slow performance increase after AMD knew intel couldn't catch up.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
"Smart Move" Is what i think when I see FX-62 and Athlon 64 5000+ avaliable for s939 because it gives s939 owners a chance to use their motherboards for a year or two more without being totally cut from AMD support.

The thing is. You have a heap of people going out now and saying "Hi I want the fasted PC I can have now"

At this point in time if they've got a 939 board they can just upgrade to an FX-62 or a 5000+. What about in the future when they want to upgrade and there are no top line 939 CPU's or 939's are significantly outperformed by AM2. Then in the future when this person wants to upgrade again they're going to be forced to move to another platform. BAM! Why move up to AM2 when moving to 975 makes more sense. If you get the customer onto AM2 now then at least you give them some sort of reason to stay with AMD. Releasing these two chips AFTER Conroe started shipping in volume would have been a great idea.

Stupid AMD. OMFG AMD IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!!!!!

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006

No company just lets another company run amok like that. AMD has had to work sooooo hard to take market share away from Intel and has only just got it's toe in the foor with Dell. To start sitting back and taking it up the bum for 3 quarters and lose market share. As I said above it would have been smarter for AMD to bring out faster 939 processors after Conroe starts shipping in volume and at the same time lower prices so even if the performance isn't as good..... you can still see an AMD as a good alternative based on price and the fact that you don't need new RAM, mobo as well as the price of a new processor

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
"Smart Move" Is what i think when I see FX-62 and Athlon 64 5000+ avaliable for s939 because it gives s939 owners a chance to use their motherboards for a year or two more without being totally cut from AMD support.

But here is my question, if an E6600 is $316 and lets say estimate a motherboard at $150 for a 965 chipset and $180 for 2 gb of DDR2-667 for less than $650 why not go for a new platform instead of investing $1,031 in an old one?

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I guess unlike Intel, Amd doesn't make money on chipset sales.

I think this is part of the reason. The other part is they've still got a LOT of 939 chips on the market that they need to move, and for someone buying a system right now, AM2 will be their choice if the 939 product line ends here and now. So now they cover both camps, the DDR/939 people who think AM2 is a poor performer/not worth the cost increase and the people who want long term upgradability.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Why are they releasing the FX-62 for 939? There's no difference between it and the FX-60, they're exactly the same. Same cache, clocks, everything, I think inclusion of Pacifica (a retarded inclusion in the FX series, since nobody is going to run a network of FX processors . . . stupid) is the only difference. Nothing else warrants the release of it, what a waste.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Why are they releasing the FX-62 for 939? There's no difference between it and the FX-60, they're exactly the same. Same cache, clocks, everything, I think inclusion of Pacifica (a retarded inclusion in the FX series, since nobody is going to run a network of FX processors . . . stupid) is the only difference. Nothing else warrants the release of it, what a waste.

Since when was a 2.8Ghz processor the same speed as a 2.6Ghz processor? :roll:

You're a waste of my oxygen......

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well they probbaly want to stick with Socket 939 because you don't see AM2s im masses i bet that AMD has'nt produced much AM2 Motherboards because they know if they try and switch to some thing to fast they might get a backlash and sales of the new socket and have a hoard of AM2 socket motherboards just sitting overstocked(Intel did it before), so their just slowly tyring to lullify the 939 socket Cpus and Motherboard so that when people ready they will go for the better performing Am2 with better CPus and everything

It merely delays the inevitable, but it's a psychological boost to current S939 owners because it breathes life into the platform.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Have some overclocking evidence available. A very good company, which overclocks computers, has hit these initial clocks:

FX-62: 3.0GHz to 3.1GHz

Now you know all CPUs don't clock the same, so there is a little variance there. They take a butt load of time picking the best steppings which OC the best, so give them another month or so and they'll probably hit 3.2GHz.

PROOF:

Customizer: http://www.overdrivepc.com:8080/opc...p?action=startOver&useBuild=51087&site=gaming

Home Page:
http://www.overdrivepc.com/coolbluei/

They aren't offering the 5000+, probably because it can be beaten when OC'ed by cheaper chips, i.e. the X2 3800+, X2 4000+, and all the others. I mean, if OPC can hit 2.6-2.7GHz stable on all those cheaper chips, why offer the 5000+?

~Ibrahim~

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31557

thrown off by that article, i thought it was 2.6 and the 57 was at 2.8

....... you do realize that a fx 57 is a single core chip, while fx 60 and 62 are dual, it makes a diff

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Oh Well, the Socket 939 Seems to be totally Cut off from the AMD branch now. But the 35Watt TDP Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Energy Efficient Small Form Factor**) at a price of $364 which is only 60$ more than the non-efficient at 303$

This is great news for 939 Socket Moblie Laptop users because this will increase their battery life by 100% to 150% at minimum

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Well they probbaly want to stick with Socket 939 because you don't see AM2s im masses i bet that AMD has'nt produced much AM2 Motherboards because they know if they try and switch to some thing to fast they might get a backlash and sales of the new socket and have a hoard of AM2 socket motherboards just sitting overstocked(Intel did it before), so their just slowly tyring to lullify the 939 socket Cpus and Motherboard so that when people ready they will go for the better performing Am2 with better CPus and everything

It may shock and disappoint you but AMD don't actually manufacture motherboards.....