modifying Lian Li 6070b Plus

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi people!

Building my first...and have been collecting components. I am now trying to decide about the case. @frozencpu.com they're selling a 'mod' 6070B Plus by adding 3 120 Coolermaster Ultra Quiet fans, silver grills for the fans and sound killing system--installed--for $269.00 plus shipping coming to $304.00.
I've found the same case for $169 with its standard fans without an after market noise killing sys.
It's rather obvious to me, but wanted to see what "my mentors'" thought, that I'me getting taken for a ride! How much of a job would it be to make the holes in the case for 3 120's and install the fans myself? And after market sound deadening material.
Because I'm a newbie and implusive as hell I always learn more after the fact. I think I can still cancel the order.
What should I do???
Thanks again for all your help!

Ross

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I have a 6070B Plus. It is a remarkably lovely case. Not for overclockers as it just doesn't cool as well as my PC-65B but it is much quieter. Consider that you're spending a good deal of money on your case. Got mine from coolerguys.com and spent about the same $169. Cutting into the case is going to lessen noise reduction because the fans have to blow somewhere and that leads to noise. I'm running an X2-3800 and it does just fine without extra cooling. If you're going to use a hotter processor, I'd recommend lookng elsewhere because, while the 6070 series is a work of art, it's primary feature is the quiet, which you will eliminate by putting in so many fans.

Just my $.02.

rossglen

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hey MG & Wun...

Forgive me for employing the sake of brevity but both your answers are what I seek. MG, I'll be running an Intel Pentium D 930 cpu which I don't think is an especially hot chip. A good point in cutting into the case would reduce the sound dampening. It's the cooling factor that I'm really seeking. Just seemed to me that 3 120's would certainly do the job.
It's hard for me to understand such an outrageous mark-up--- over $100 bucks including Frozen's quieting kit.
One other question: I've read, here, I believe, that though the 6070b is advertised with a slideable mobo, it in fact, does not. I really don't plan on taking it out very often as I'm not really into heavy gaming. I do, however, want a fast enough system that will allow me to play should I desire to. I'm using a XFX GeForce 7600GS GPU. Waddayathink? Is heat going to require more fans?
Really appreciate you guys' feedback.

Ross

MG37221

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hey MG & Wun...

Forgive me for employing the sake of brevity but both your answers are what I seek. MG, I'll be running an Intel Pentium D 930 cpu which I don't think is an especially hot chip. A good point in cutting into the case would reduce the sound dampening. It's the cooling factor that I'm really seeking. Just seemed to me that 3 120's would certainly do the job.
It's hard for me to understand such an outrageous mark-up--- over $100 bucks including Frozen's quieting kit.
One other question: I've read, here, I believe, that though the 6070b is advertised with a slideable mobo, it in fact, does not. I really don't plan on taking it out very often as I'm not really into heavy gaming. I do, however, want a fast enough system that will allow me to play should I desire to. I'm using a XFX GeForce 7600GS GPU. Waddayathink? Is heat going to require more fans?
Really appreciate you guys' feedback.

Ross

Try to remember that a lot of work goes into case customization. $100 is not an unfair price considering they're equipped to do so. Whether that $100 is worth it to you is something only you can decide. I've no experience with that CPU. I'm unable to respond.

The motherboard tray does slide out however. This case is nothing short of elegant.