doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
I recently built an AMD64 3000+ w/ 1gig of ram about a year ago and now looking to upgrade to get more performance out of the machine. I have several directions to take this:

1. replace the video card. my current gpu is a MSI 6600GT that has done quite well and I'm pleased with it considering I only paid $150 a year ago. I'm looking to get either a 7800GTX or a 7900GT w/ 256mb ram

2. update the harddrives to use RAID0. I'm not sure as to the performace increase between 1 harddrive and 2 harddrives in RAID0 format.

3. update the processor. the AMD64 3000+ has served well. I'm currently looking at getting dual core so that I can multitask a little more efficently. Had my eyes set on a mid-spec, mid-priced X2. I'm using the 939 socket, FYI

What I'm looking at doing is replacing one key component to get the most bang for my buck in terms of upgrading performace of my current rig. Just kinda' a "what would you replace" senario here and explain what would be my best option/upgrade and why.

Thanks a mill,

DH

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
1. Forget the 7800 series, they're dead now. Go for 7900GT or X1800XT.
2. I wouldn't RAID 0 due to the high risk of data loss. It can bring faster load times, but there is risk involved.
3. X2 3800+ will do the job for you. Very good CPU for the money. Also consider an Opteron 165.

I would also recommend getting 2gb of RAM, to see the full potential of your setup. Especially with a 7900GT or X1800XT.

1. I don't think the 7800GTX is quite dead -- yet. From the specs, is there really that much difference between the 7800GTX and the 7900GT?

2. The chances of a failure are still quite, quite, quite slim and with today's technology almost nulled. I've heard mixed views for RAID0in' two identical harddrives.

3. I was looking at specifically the 3800+ or 4200+, I think. Between the two, also looking at some Patriot or OCZ 2x1024 RAM configuration.

Like I stated in the starting post, I'm looking for ONE upgrade option to give the MOST performance boost to my current configuration. I'm almost leaning twoards the processor or the gpu direction...

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005

Yup and you could try to OC that 3000+

So far I've got that 3000+ oc'd to 3200+, which isn't much. Some reason my ASUS A8N-E mobo has a fit at me and I know I can oc much farther. I got my ol' P4 1.6Ghz oc'd to 2.1Ghz easy...

GPU vs CPU...

dang, I hate tough choices!!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
2. The chances of a failure are still quite, quite, quite slim and with today's technology almost nulled. I've heard mixed views for RAID0in' two identical harddrives.

When you triple your points of failure (either drive or the RAID controller) I don't exactly call that slim. I have seen RAID arrays fail, and data loss is 100% of time. Unless you perform operations which require large data writes to the drive (like video) RAID will do you no good except like I said, triple your failure points.