Hello,
Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand how to
:

Install Asterisk
Configure Asterisk

without knowing much about Linux ?.

Are there any packaged installation routines ?. Are there any GUI (I know, I
know) configuration tools ?.

I'd like to have a play about but I'm coming from a Cisco CallManager
background where everything is done for you !.

Many thanks,
Steve

Steve McKee wrote:
> Hello,
> Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand
> how to
>>

> Install Asterisk
> Configure Asterisk
>
> without knowing much about Linux ?.
>
> Are there any packaged installation routines ?. Are there any GUI (I
> know, I know) configuration tools ?.
>
> I'd like to have a play about but I'm coming from a Cisco CallManager
> background where everything is done for you !.
>
> Many thanks,
> Steve

Asterisk@Home is a distribution with asterisk included and some management
tools also (web based).
You can download it from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/

Read the installation instruction at :
http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/index.html

And your ready to go:

And if yoy search for asterisk at www.sf.net you will find some other stuff
of intresst.

And take a look at www.voip-info.org that is the source for info about VoIP
and a lot of asterisk stuff.

/Mats

Mats Karlsson wrote:
> Steve McKee wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand
>> how to
>>>

>> Install Asterisk
>> Configure Asterisk
>>
>> without knowing much about Linux ?.
>>
>> Are there any packaged installation routines ?. Are there any GUI (I
>> know, I know) configuration tools ?.
>>
>> I'd like to have a play about but I'm coming from a Cisco CallManager
>> background where everything is done for you !.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Steve
>

> Asterisk@Home is a distribution with asterisk included and some
> management tools also (web based).
> You can download it from:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/
>
> Read the installation instruction at :
> http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> And your ready to go:
>
> And if yoy search for asterisk at www.sf.net you will find some other
> stuff of intresst.
>
> And take a look at www.voip-info.org that is the source for info
> about VoIP and a lot of asterisk stuff.
>

> /Mats

And I just remembered that Andy Powell wrote a execelent "Getting Started
With Asterisk".

Take a look at : http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

/Mats

Thanks Mats, I'll give them a browse.

Regards,
Steve
"Mats Karlsson" <mk@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mats Karlsson wrote:
>> Steve McKee wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand
>>> how to
>>>>

>>> Install Asterisk
>>> Configure Asterisk
>>>
>>> without knowing much about Linux ?.
>>>
>>> Are there any packaged installation routines ?. Are there any GUI (I
>>> know, I know) configuration tools ?.
>>>
>>> I'd like to have a play about but I'm coming from a Cisco CallManager
>>> background where everything is done for you !.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Steve
>>

>> Asterisk@Home is a distribution with asterisk included and some
>> management tools also (web based).
>> You can download it from:
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/asteriskathome/
>>
>> Read the installation instruction at :
>> http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/index.html
>>
>> And your ready to go:
>>
>> And if yoy search for asterisk at www.sf.net you will find some other
>> stuff of intresst.
>>
>> And take a look at www.voip-info.org that is the source for info
>> about VoIP and a lot of asterisk stuff.
>>

>> /Mats
>
> And I just remembered that Andy Powell wrote a execelent "Getting
> Started
> With Asterisk".
>
> Take a look at : http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm
>
> /Mats

>> Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand
>> how to
>>>

>> Install Asterisk
>> Configure Asterisk
>>
>> without knowing much about Linux ?.

Good advice on resources has already been given so I'll pitch my "how
to get started with Asterisk" advice: just do it. Commit some time
and hardware to setting up something. Get an account with at least
one of the good PSTN providers. When you run into problems, ask.
There are lots of us who will be happy to help. Do your homework but
also plan to use us.

Don't sit there trying to understand everything before you get started
(like I did). Assume everything is going to work the way you want and
just jump into it.

If you install Debian (from Knoppix, even), Asterisk installation is
not too much beyond "apt-get install asterisk". I'll be happy to step
you through it.

Oh! And keep track of the stuff you wish someone had told you. Post
it for the next guy.

--kyler

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 09:34:25 +0000, Steve McKee wrote:

> Hello,
> Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand how
>> [quoted text muted]
> Install Asterisk
> Configure Asterisk

Background articles. You should read them:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/07/03/asterisk.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/22/asterisk2.html

Excellent tutorial (already mentioned)
http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm

THE reference of the moment:
http://www.asteriskdocs.org

About using asterisk with double NAT (routers on both ends)
http://willypick.mindsay.com/?entry=10