I can't open any .exe files

I can't open any .exe files other
than explorer, all of my icons in the program list and
desktop have an iexplorer icon. It seems that my file
types are messed up. I also get the message "Windows
cannot open this file"(needs to know what created
program) when I try to open anything, including system
restore, msconfig, regedit, etc.

Any ideas? what could be causing this in the first place?

So far I've received following advice, but have not had a
chance to try it yet:

For starters check to see if the drive letter these
programs are located on has changed (for example drive C
is now D in My Computer. Navigate directly to the program
you want to run and open it insted of using the shortcut
and see if it opens that way. For example to open
regedit: Go to My Computer and navigate here
C:\WINDOWS\regedit
More about open files

    Hi Gene,

    www.dougknox.com, go to WinXP Fixes, click on File Association Fixes, then
    download and run both the .exe and lnk (shortcut) fixes.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gene" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't open any .exe files other
    > than explorer, all of my icons in the program list and
    > desktop have an iexplorer icon. It seems that my file
    > types are messed up. I also get the message "Windows
    > cannot open this file"(needs to know what created
    > program) when I try to open anything, including system
    > restore, msconfig, regedit, etc.
    >
    > Any ideas? what could be causing this in the first place?
    >
    > So far I've received following advice, but have not had a
    > chance to try it yet:

    > For starters check to see if the drive letter these
    > programs are located on has changed (for example drive C
    > is now D in My Computer. Navigate directly to the program
    > you want to run and open it insted of using the shortcut
    > and see if it opens that way. For example to open
    > regedit: Go to My Computer and navigate here
    > C:\WINDOWS\regedit

    thank you very much!

Windows XP