Sign in with
Your question

Finally Building My Own System - Tips/Recommendations Please

Last response: in Systems
May 30, 2006 2:25:48 AM

Ok, (First Post!) I'm looking to build my first system and here are the components I'm choosing with prices. Please, if you see any blaring or not so blaring mistakes or better options available please post them! :D 

Motherboard
Abit NI8 SLi - This has all of the slots and things I need and is available for $68.98.

CPU
Pentium D 805
- Of course, the main reason for my new system. The sheer potential power of this CPU still amazes me at only $122.90.

GPU
I really am not sure, I was leaning towards dual SLi 6800XTs and get a sub-$200 SLi solution but I was told that I would be better off with one more powerful GPU. This is where I need the most help but I will go ahead and label this as $190.01.

RAM
I think I'll go with the 1GB DDR2 PC 5300 Memory Upgrades Module with a heatsink for overclocking purposes, 68.50.

HDD
The Caviar 320GB RE HDD seems to be the best deal for the money. Any recommendations which are a better value than this processor for 99.00.

I already have a case, PSU, DVDRW drive, Floppy, 80GB drive with preloaded goodies and my Audigy Sound Card. Do I need any additional heatsink fans (for overclocking, I assume that I do) or peripherals. As of posting, this setup runs me a good, yet fair $549. All comments are appreciated and feel free to PM, AIM (emnors), MSN (gfxdog(AT)gmail.com, or email me (same address).
Love, Mason!
May 30, 2006 3:04:30 AM

One card is better. Just get one 7600gt.
May 30, 2006 3:17:13 AM

Quote:
One card is better. Just get one 7600gt.

What is the difference between a 7600GS and a GT? Is the BFG 7600GT a decent option?
Related resources
May 30, 2006 3:18:04 AM

You wont be overclocking much with that system.

The RAM needs to be DDR2-800 for any kind of decent overclocking. You need a Zalman CPU cooler for anything between 2.8 and 3.5. You need a 550W-600W PSU also because the D805 sucks power and pumps out heat. If you want anything over 3.5 you need water cooling, so add $300 to that total plus the cost of a suitale case.

The 805 does not have "sheer power" its frankly sucks, and overclocking is the only reason anyone would EVER touch such a pathetic CPU.

In other words, don't do this, unless you like a hot system that only performs at decent levels because its overclocked like crazy. That board won't run Conroe either.

7600GT is better than 7600GS.
May 30, 2006 3:25:49 AM

Quote:
You wont be overclocking much with that system.
Quote:

The RAM needs to be DDR2-800 for any kind of decent overclocking. You need a Zalman CPU cooler for anything between 2.8 and 3.5. You need a 550W-600W PSU also because the D805 sucks power and pumps out heat. If you want anything over 3.5 you need water cooling, so add $300 to that total plus the cost of a suitale case.
Alright, I can do that.
Quote:

The 805 does not have "sheer power" its frankly sucks, and overclocking is the only reason anyone would EVER touch such a pathetic CPU.

Quote:
The sheer potential power of this CPU

Quote:

In other words, don't do this, unless you like a hot system that only performs at decent levels because its overclocked like crazy. That board won't run Conroe either.
7600GT is better than 7600GS.
Ok, but I dont have a heater so this will have to do. :D 
May 30, 2006 3:32:44 AM

Why waste all of that money? Just get something with a 975 chipset (Rev 304) and a Pentium D 930 and get ready for Conroe which will smash the 805 anyway. Or heck just wait for Conroe, it won't be long.

Abit motherboards have never been known to overclock well, especially $68 boards. That was my point there.
May 30, 2006 3:39:56 AM

Ahh, I understand now. I'll wait for Conroe for now. The Mobo actaully was on sale!
May 30, 2006 4:29:29 AM

Quote:
I plan on purchasing one, and will probably run it at its default speed. :p  It's a great value chip.
May 30, 2006 4:33:26 AM

Tom's points it right out in his article. The D805 is awful unless you overclock the crap out of it.
May 30, 2006 5:09:46 AM

Quote:
Tom's points it right out in his article. The D805 is awful unless you overclock the crap out of it.

The 805 deserves no publicity or street credit. You are wrong for conisidering it. The 930, which is far superior in every concievable way, is a mere $70 more, which absolutely demolishing it in overclocking (on water it could hit 5.0ghz instead of 4.1) and even at stock its comparable with a rival AMD processor instead of being a weak 2.66ghz chip.
!