Sign in with
Your question

Celeron D

Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2006 2:57:31 AM

I used to be a hardcore RTS fan back in the pre-Pentium 4 days, loved StarCraft, WarCraft II and all the Command & Conquers, but then moved onto console gaming because at the time it seemed the cheaper gaming option, so for the last 5-odd years I've been living off Xbox (and now 360) and DELL branded PC's for MSN/Internet ecetra. Well here I am, on the weekend I went over to a friends house and played some WarCraft III and C&C: Zero Hour and I was totally impressed, I need to play them.

My motherboard is limited to Socket 478 so that limits me to the newer Celeron D CPU's. Im thinking of picking up the 350 3.2Ghz (256k L2, 16k L1, FSB533) model, I believe thats the fastest S478 Celeron D available. I know I could fork out double the price and get something like a 2.8-3.0Ghz Pentium 4 but I'd rather save the cash as I'll be splurging out early next year and getting a beast for Vista, the games Im intending on playing doing require a beast of a CPU either. I've tested out a PC running a Celeron D and it was ALOT smoother and more responsive then my system.

I've read some of the Celeron D 335 (2.8Ghz) benchmark reviews found over at AnandTech and it seems it'll be able to do the job, running WC3 at 43+ FPS and Zero Hour at 31+ FPS, this is a 50% and 30% increase over the Pentium 4 1.8A, Im currently running a Northwood Pentium 4 (512k L2, 8k L1, FSB400) 2.0Ghz, so they're similar, I'd also be using a Celeron D with a 0.4Ghz higher clockspeed.

I have no idea what motherboard I have, but it contains the Intel 845G chipset and according to the Intel website it should be fine. Now, does anyone know if the new batch of Celeron D's (the ones with 512k L2 etc) will include Socket 478 variants? Should I wait? Also, my motherboard is limited to AGP X4 cards, considering that limitation what would be the best GPU card for my PC? The benchmark I mentioned before was using a Radeon 9800 Pro, I'd probably like something a tiny little bit more beefy, I'll also have twice the amount of RAM (1024MB, but not DDRII) as the benchmark system.

Opinions? Advice? Thanks.

Remember, I dont want to play F.E.A.R, Oblivion etc, as I said I'll be buying a Vista-PC next year, I just want to play some WarCraft III, Zero Hour and maybe some Counter Strike Source here and there...

More about : celeron

May 30, 2006 5:36:44 AM

Quote:
I used to be a hardcore RTS fan back in the pre-Pentium 4 days, loved StarCraft, WarCraft II and all the Command & Conquers, but then moved onto console gaming because at the time it seemed the cheaper gaming option, so for the last 5-odd years I've been living off Xbox (and now 360) and DELL branded PC's for MSN/Internet ecetra. Well here I am, on the weekend I went over to a friends house and played some WarCraft III and C&C: Zero Hour and I was totally impressed, I need to play them.

My motherboard is limited to Socket 478 so that limits me to the newer Celeron D CPU's. Im thinking of picking up the 350 3.2Ghz (256k L2, 16k L1, FSB533) model, I believe thats the fastest S478 Celeron D available. I know I could fork out double the price and get something like a 2.8-3.0Ghz Pentium 4 but I'd rather save the cash as I'll be splurging out early next year and getting a beast for Vista, the games Im intending on playing doing require a beast of a CPU either. I've tested out a PC running a Celeron D and it was ALOT smoother and more responsive then my system.

I've read some of the Celeron D 335 (2.8Ghz) benchmark reviews found over at AnandTech and it seems it'll be able to do the job, running WC3 at 43+ FPS and Zero Hour at 31+ FPS, this is a 50% and 30% increase over the Pentium 4 1.8A, Im currently running a Northwood Pentium 4 (512k L2, 8k L1, FSB400) 2.0Ghz, so they're similar, I'd also be using a Celeron D with a 0.4Ghz higher clockspeed.

I have no idea what motherboard I have, but it contains the Intel 845G chipset and according to the Intel website it should be fine. Now, does anyone know if the new batch of Celeron D's (the ones with 512k L2 etc) will include Socket 478 variants? Should I wait? Also, my motherboard is limited to AGP X4 cards, considering that limitation what would be the best GPU card for my PC? The benchmark I mentioned before was using a Radeon 9800 Pro, I'd probably like something a tiny little bit more beefy, I'll also have twice the amount of RAM (1024MB, but not DDRII) as the benchmark system.

Opinions? Advice? Thanks.

Remember, I dont want to play F.E.A.R, Oblivion etc, as I said I'll be buying a Vista-PC next year, I just want to play some WarCraft III, Zero Hour and maybe some Counter Strike Source here and there...

No, you won't be able to get the new 65nm celerons(512k) on s478. If

you pick up a celeronD and overclock it, it may perform decently. If you

wait a little, Intel is chopping prices across the board, and you "may" be

able to get a s478 P4 for (what are) celeron prices now. As far as a

suitable graphics card, for a celeron D, i usually suggest trying to find

a 6600GT, X800GTO, X700(pro),and maybe a 6800GS. A 7800GS or

X850 will probably be cpu bound. GL :) 

PS. The AGP 4x Bus isn't going to limit the video card, as most think.
May 30, 2006 4:16:56 PM

Quote:

I have Celeron D system, its a Celeron D 325, a 2.53GHz version with EM64T. I am using 945G integrated graphics. For Warcraft III, I don't notice any lag unless it gets really intensive. Anyway it won't matter as with 845G you would want dedicated card.

845G does not support Celeron D. Though Celeron D's have Socket 478 variants, they require same motherboards that require Prescott. Of course that means new Celeron D's with 512KB L2 is out of the question as they are Socket 775.

Only the 865/875 chipsets support Celeron D, and then the ones that support Prescott. The older Celerons, are really slow.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2006 3:10:26 AM

Quote:
My motherboard is limited to Socket 478 so that limits me to the newer Celeron D CPU's.
No it doesn't, more logically it would limit you to older Northwood Pentium 4's.

Quote:
know I could fork out double the price and get something like a 2.8-3.0Ghz Pentium 4 but I'd rather save the cash as I'll be splurging out early next year and getting a beast for Vista
Then you might as well not mess around.

Quote:
Im currently running a Northwood Pentium 4 (512k L2, 8k L1, FSB400) 2.0Ghz, so they're similar, I'd also be using a Celeron D with a 0.4Ghz higher clockspeed.
Once again you'd might as well not bother.

But I think there's a bigger point to make here:

Quote:
I have no idea what motherboard I have, but it contains the Intel 845G chipset and according to the Intel website it should be fine.
No, you won't be fine because the old boards don't support Prescott core processors, be they P4's OR Celeron D's.
June 2, 2006 3:42:40 AM

Good. I thought I was the only one who had an 845 chipset (845PE) that didn't work with Celeron Ds.

What I think the author of this thread should do, it to overclock his existing processor to the 533 bus (133 quad pumped), as I believe the 845G chipset supports the 533 bus. That will give him a 2.66 GHz processor that will be more than capable of handling the games he wants to play. Probably won't even need a voltage increase. If the bios does not allow you to go to the next higher fsb (you're now on the 400 fsb, or 100 fsb before quad-pumping), you can learn how to pin mod the cpu to the 533 bus, all you need to do is isolate 1 pin on the cpu to make the motherboard read your cpu as a 533 bus pentium 4. It will even work on oems like Dell, HP, etc. I will post a link soon.

EDIT: here's a pic:
http://jhaller3.users.mywdo.com/Pics/478cpu.jpg
Just Isolate the red pin to make the cpu run on the 533 fsb. You can try to cover it up with nail polish (very hard to do), break it off (easy, but not recommended), or use the sleeving from some 30 gauge wire wrap (can be purchased at Radio Shack for ~$3, Recommended).

I have another idea: just buy a pentium 4 2.4B off e-bay. You can usually pick one up for under $70, and it should have enough horsepower for your games. Then you could sell your old 2.0 Northwood on e-bay, and easily get $50 for it. Total upgrade cost: probably less then 20 bucks. Sounds like the most sane thing to do if you ask me.
June 2, 2006 3:46:19 AM

If I can wait for Halo 3, you can wait and save even more cash for your Vista "Beast," system. Just wait, that way the Beast will be even that much better. :wink:
June 2, 2006 4:25:12 AM

You mentioned you have a P4 Northwood 2.0Ghz, I have one of those and its a very stable proc.

for you i would recomend overclocking it, if your up to it. I got mine up to around 2.9Ghz and i was just using a Thermaltake P4 valcano hsf - definetly not the best, but it works, temps around 30 idle to 48 full load. the mobo is an asus p4s533

but you should easily get up to 2.4-2.6 on that proc with maybe a little better hsf but you could still pull it off on the stock one.

just one thing to remember about P4 Northwood A's - Never raise the vcore above 1.7V - you'll fry the chip or give it a lifetime of about a week

for video card - go for a 6600gt or the X800gto like others said.
!