Who makes dell monitors?

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Ok, i've a bet with my dad, and he says dell is paying some other company to make their monitors for them (ideally Samsung). I disagree, so does dell make their own lcds or are they just rebranded???

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I used to own a Dell CRT a few years back and it was made by another company, I think Mitsubishi but it has been a while. As far as I know, they do not make their own monitors.

Final Fantasy 7 fan? Loved that game, I think it ties for 1st place as my favorite in the series (9 being the other).

pauldh

Illustrious
Dell surely doesn't make the tubes and panels. There are only so many different ones that all the monitors share. Can't say for sure they don't have them assembled directly for them, but I feel they are probably made by other well known company's; basically rebadged.

For instance I don't know who made their Analog 18" that a buddy of mine has, but their digital 19's with the thin bezel at one time sure looked like my Samsung 191T at work with a different base.

But really these things are so tied together. Benq, Aopen, and a couple others are all basically the same parent company. SOmebody makes Rosewill for them, And again I would guess somebody(not Dell, and not the same somebody even depending on model) makes Dells too, and for a dirt cheap price. :roll:

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Here I got on the dell site and found this:

FCC Declaration of Conformity

According to 47 CFR, Part 15 of the FCC Rules

* For the following named product :

COLOR MONITOR

(Category Name)

E171FPb / DELL

FP767

(Model No / Brand Name)

(Basic Model)

* Manufactured at :

1. BENQ Corporation

157 Shanying Road, Gueishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan, R.O.C.

2. BENQ Co., Ltd.

New District 169 Zhujiang Rd Suzhou Jiangsu, China

That is from the Dell site for the E171FPb Flat Panel monitor. Looks like that one was made by BENQ.

Dell E171FPb FCC Info

pauldh

Illustrious
Good find! Makes it easy to check other models.

Seems BenQ makes their 24" widescreen also:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2405fpw/en/appendx.htm#Regulatory%20Information

Samsung makes this 19"
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1900fp/en/regs.htm

Samsung also makes my 19" Flat CRT M992:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/M992/En/tco95.htm

Edit: Ah, this is fun. My buddies 18" was made by LG electronics. Now thanks to you I know it all. And so can anyone else by going here: http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/documentation.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~cat=3&~subcat=138

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I used to work in B2B sales for Global Computer and that's how I found this out. There are only a few LCD monitor manufacturers out there. They make the LCD panels that the other companies that put them in their own enclorures. I remember late '03-early '04, the market that sold the LCD monitors to the end consumers (Dell, electronics stores, CDW, etc) depleted the world's supply by offering 17" LCDs at about $200 for the first time. It was because the demand was so high for the first time because of that price, everybody sold out. The price went back up. It was hard for us to get them in because the monitor manufacturers were backordered because they couldn't get the panels. The companies that make the LCD panels themselves are all in Aisa and do not sell to the consumer and we would not recognize their names.

Another thing, laptops are like this too. There are only a few laptop manufacturers out there too once again in Aisa. They will make a custom style for Dell or HP or whomever but they are all built for those companies by other non direct to customer companies. There was a time in about 2000-2002 where the only difference between a Systemax laptop and a Dell laptop was the sticker on it, they looked that similar. If I remember right there are only three companies that still make their own laptops and they are Lenovo (IBM), Toshiba and Sony.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Ok, i've a bet with my dad, and he says dell is paying some other company to make their monitors for them (ideally Samsung). I disagree, so does dell make their own lcds or are they just rebranded???

I guess the saying's true...Father knows best. :wink:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Dell has used several vendors.

One of my dells ( an older 15 inch) is manufactured using an AU Optonics LCD element (made in china...suprise suprise) with BenQ electronics. I dont know who makes my newer Dell though, as Im not about to disassemble and void the warrenty

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
dell in fact doesn't make a lot of their products. their printers are mostly made by lexmark last time i checked (hence why they rape ink and look like crap) and theres a bunch more, but a lot of it is rebranded and then they throw a big margin on it.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Dell has used several vendors.

One of my dells ( an older 15 inch) is manufactured using an AU Optonics LCD element (made in china...suprise suprise) with BenQ electronics. I dont know who makes my newer Dell though, as Im not about to disassemble and void the warrenty

AU Optronics is a division of BenQ. They make the lcd panels.

Im surprised to see BenQ makes the much appraised Dell monitors. I just bought a BenQ FP93G 19" 6ms and couldnt be happier with it, especially at just over $200.

I think dell makes the boards, like gpu and stuff and mobo but not much else.

I dont think so. I dont think dell makes anything. They just assemble the pc's, and configure them.

If I remember right there are only three companies that still make their own laptops and they are Lenovo (IBM), Toshiba and Sony.

Well HP/Compaq make their own, EuroCoom, and so do many others and I would think even Dell considering their sheer volumes alone which wold lose money if it was a non-owned source (consolidate building, outsource parts), probably the same for gateway. I doubt if cutting edge boutiques like Voodoo are rebranded either since along with Eurocomm they usually lead the marke in features. and people like Acer and ASUS would simply provide their own shell for you to build yourself. 3 Mfrs? I doubt it anymore.

It may have been the case that alot are re-branded, but many are ground up different. It's not like an LCD panel which is complicated to assemble, laptops are a combinaton of other people's MoBos, HDs, Ram, etc.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I think Dell makes very little, if anything, in their own manufacturing processes. They take finished components and assemble them, just like your local computer store but with better badging. Because of their buying power they can often get special "made for dell" only products. I know from working at Sport Check (canadian sporting goods store) they used to get special branded Soloman skis with model names that only they carried (helped when they guaranteed the lowest price on IDENTICAL products, since there were none).

Dell doesn't "make" anything, not even their catalogues.

It all depends on how granular you want to get. What does 'making' mean. In a laptop's example assmebly of the parts from other companies would be making the laptop. Having someone else assemble the laptop and then put your sticker on it would be rebranding.

Getting to the granular level of the component makers never really ends, because then who makes the platter in the HD or who makes the resin for the plastic, or who mined the copper/gold for the wires etc.

Taken far enough everything is made by GOD and rebranded, since GOD made the BigBang and everything comes from that. :lol:

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Not really, I had a Dell with an Asus M/B in it. As far as the GPU goes, they don't make them either, they are either built into the M/B or it is made by Nvidia or ATI or some other manufacturer.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Ok, guess I meant "they don't manufacturer individual components, they just combine them"

When Dell stopped selling Trinitron displays they were still made by Sony, I have two of them. A Dell P1130 and D1025TM. Nobody can sell a display with Trinitron displayed on it that wasn't made by Sony, that's why it was named Diamondtron by Mitsubishi, check the wiki on this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron

Sony still has Trinitron as a trademark even though the patent has expired.

I don't know if Dell ever sold Diamondtron's but if they did they would have been made by Mitsubishi.