ATX 2.0 pwr supply

gercam

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Will an ATX 2.0 pwr supply work with an A7N8X-E deluxe asus mother board. Only reason I was wondering I looked at the main connector and it didn't look right.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457

To buy. My last psu went out the other day. I think it didnt have enough rated amp for what I had. It only had 10a for the 12 volt which seems low after reading most psu.

If it will not work is there a good one to buy.

CPU 2800 barton
Video Geforce 6600gt
Audio Onboard
Memory 3 X 500 meg for 1.5 gig
other Floppy, 1 sata , 1 ide, 1 dvd , 1 cd rewrite , 3 case fans

Thanks

I normally recommend Seasonic S12 PSUs because they are quiet, efficient, and very reliable. Such as the SeaSonic S12-380 380W Power Supply for $81 shipped.

However, if cost is a concern then get the FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN 400w PSU for around $50 shipped.

Your PC uses only around 170w max off of the 12v rail.

The Seasonic S12 380 and the Fortron AX400-PN can provide 300w of power off of the 12v rails.

CPU power consumption is falling, and GPU power consumption will drop a bit as well.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
the antec smartpower is still cheaper.

also my friend runs this:

P4 2.66
6600GT
1 GB RAM
100 GB HDD
2 optical drives

on the stock HP generic PSU, which is 185 watts i believe.

the antec smartpower is still cheaper.

The Antec Smart Power may be cheaper. But the Seasonic S12 is still superior. It is one of the quietest, or the quietest PSU with a fan. It is also rated and tested to be up to 85% efficient where as the Antec Smart Power is rate at 70%. The higher the efficiency, the lower the power draw from the A/C outlet, and the less heat will get dumped in the PC case. As almost everyone knows, heat is a probably especially when overclocking.

But not everyone is willing or can afford to spend money on a premium quality PSU, which is why I usually list cheaper, but still good PSUs.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
true true, but if a 44 dollar PSU will cut it, especially that system, ill get the cheaper one cuz that thing isnt going to be upgraded soon(old socket, old gfx card) so why even spend the extra cash? thats my ethic. if u only need 44 bucks to make it run just was well as spending 65, whats the point.

its like this, why buy a zalman if the stock cooler will do the job?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PSU fan does exhaust heat from the PSU and the case, but heat is still emitted by the PSU and some of that heat gets transferred to the inside of the case.

Certainly, but that doesn't matter. The reason it doesn't matter is that more heat is blown out of the case by the PSU fan than the PSU puts into the case to begin with.

Efficiently cooled power supplies with inefficient power conversion will have fans with higher airflow, so they'll cool better. More efficient power supplies will have slower fans so the cool less. The balancing factor is how much heat the power supply "leaks" compared to how much it "exhausts" and the net result is this: Efficient power supplies are able to stay cool more QUIETLY while reducing your ELECTRIC BILL, case heat isn't a significant issue because hot power supplies use faster fans.