Apple Wins Batch of Patents for iPhone, Apple TV and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntax21

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
How do these concepts differ from what is in place by Roku and Nintendo? I don't see anything innovative enough to justify a patent award.

G

Does this mean all the settop boxes and smart HDTVs that have been on the market for years are all going away because Apple invented everything useful for the future?

Nevermind that there's already a 3D smartphone on the market, Apple invented the concept of 3D apps too right?

Oh yeah, you can change the background of a video the same way you can change the background of a photo or even a webpage. Nevermind that the concept of imposing images over backgrounds is standard in the television and movie industries, Apple invented that too!

US Patent Office is the suck.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Apple. Patents. I see a dark tomorrow.[/citation]

Couldn't agree more. But hey, if there were nobody worshipping Apple and bulk buying their products the market would be different. I admire Apple for bringing competition but at the same time they are blocking it via patents. Oh well.. total market represents average user - and its not someone who wouldn't buy from one or another maker for real reasons.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
The TV industry never has this problem. You don't see Panasonic suing Samsung for manufacturing plasma displays, and you don't see Sony suing Panasonic for manufacturing LCD displays. And you certainly don't see lawsuits out of "shape" or "appearance". All of them make 3D TVs for those that are interested, and all of them will make 4k when 4k becomes economical enough for the common household, supported by the availability of 4k media.

All the brands make what all of the users want at the best price they can. And if one particular brand finds a way to make a better product or a cheaper product, the consumers vote with their wallets. They don't sue each other into oblivion or patent the most obvious things. If it works for the TV manufacturers, why can't the mobile device manufacturers behave the same way?

Oh wait, Apple doesn't make TVs yet... Maybe the TV manufacturers will be forced to become just as vicious when Apple brings the fight to them... Isn't Apple great?

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
If these patents are just ideas, no actual devices to demonstrate it actually works, then they are just plain imaginations!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
It is def a Patent war out there. Everyone gunning for each other so companies have to protect themselves as well as play fair with fellow competitors. Its hilarious to see all the iHaters saying no innovation when Apple literally changed the smart phone market and all electronic brands are influenced by Apple design. Keep up the laughs iHaters!!!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Couldn't agree more. But hey, if there were nobody worshipping Apple and bulk buying their products the market would be different. I admire Apple for bringing competition but at the same time they are blocking it via patents. Oh well.. total market represents average user - and its not someone who wouldn't buy from one or another maker for real reasons.[/citation]

Hah. You iHaters make it seem like Apple is the only company that files patents. ALL companies need to protect their expensive R&D development through patents. Believe it or not innovation would die without patents because every company would simply copy whatever is most popular, clone city (Hmmmm...I guess more than they already do from Apple...lol). But since Apple is hugely successful I can understand there is a funny underdog mentality that requires you to hate Apple. I am poud Apple is a US company :) I was tired of buying all my electronic goods from foreign companies in the 80s & 90s.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom] I am poud Apple is a US company I was tired of buying all my electronic goods from foreign companies in the 80s & 90s.[/citation]

My dad posed an interesting question a few years back when he was picking out a new vehicle: What's more patriotic, a Chevrolet made in Mexico or a Toyota made in Kansas? So many nationalities are involved with designing and building anything, you can hardly make a claim of patriotism with your shopping these days.

Back on topic, people aren't frustrated with technology companies applying for patents. Rather, we're frustrated with patent trolls that don't have a product for their patent yet still sue, or companies that patent an idea rather than an implementation of a product or part of a product. Patents should exist to protect the inventor's intellectual property, not to feed the lawyers and and spice up the competitive playing field by gambling with the earnings of multiple companies, pitting them against each other in what seems hardly more just than a game of chance.

Previously, I had respect for Apple as a company. I've always preferred not to use their products, because I like options and flexibility (what some would call needless complexity) instead of one choice, but I acknowledged that they were easy for the non-technical consumer to use. But now, Apple disgusts me with their blatant patent trolling and suing over shapes. Instead of thinking "It's not right for me, but it's probably right for others", I'm now leaning closer to "They are abusing the system, and everyone should boycott them to show them it's wrong."

Richeemxx

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
This is the problem with how the USPTO operates. They don't have the time, money or likely even the knowledge, so search out prior art or products that are already in play. So they push through patents and say lets let the courts settle it. Then there is the convolution that occurs with "word games". Apple files for a patent on something like 3D on a portable media device, some other company already owns the patents for 3D recording on everything else but doesn't mention smartphone or some word by semantics and even though the original patent should cover it all Apple gets their way and then sue.

Remove a background from video chat? There have been apps out there that have done that for years and years. Apple's patent might say something like chat on a portable device or some other crap while the other will say video chat via computing device

Recording in 3d on a portable device?? Pretty sure that is out and has been for awhile. Any camcorder would be considered a portable device and Sony already has portable 3D recorders like the Bloggies. There are already 3D smartphones that do the same.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Believe it or not innovation would die without patents[/citation]
This takes the credit of being the most stupid comment today.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Sadly, with the recent change to U.S. Patent laws (so called "reform") the patent winner is determined on a "first to file" basis, rather than a "first to invent" basis. Companies like apple only need to hear of a good idea and rush to file it rather than have to actually implement it.

Honestly, a lot of these patents should be getting rejected on the basis of being too vague. Reading Apple's patent win above, you'd think they just patented using 3d on anything other than a TV, and that companies will now have to pay licensing fees or else be accused of 'stealing Apple technology'...

It's too open ended and non-specific. Multidimensional? Really? I can see Universal studios getting sued in the next decade for their "4D" movie rides simply because Apple used Multidimensional rather than Three dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.