Microsoft Is Shipping Surface Tablet Orders Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Any word on how good Adobe Flash support on Windows RT?[/citation]
Really, who cares? Is IE10 doesn't support it I'm sure chrome or firefox for RT will offer it, unlike how those browsers have been hamstrung by apple on the iOS platform.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I care. I need good flash support on a tablet to read Marvel unlimited comics. It only works through a web browser, but Android browsers with flash installed can't handle it right.

Desktop IE10 on PC has flash integrated just like Chrome.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Looking at reviews, I'm not sure I'd get this even at a $199 fire sale. Gizmodo, WSY, NYT and the Verge panned it, while Engadget and Anandtech like it. Mix in the effect of Microsoft advertising money and it looks like Surface isn't really impressing anyone.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
not sure if the sold out thing is really that big a deal. Raspberry pi have consistently had a delivery time of serveral months - that better indicates demand (or poor production numbers)

psykhe

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
No.

Not (only) because it is too slow, but because it does not run a real Windows OS - it is not Windows 8, it is Windows RT. Applications have to be made specifically for this one. Normal Windows applications are incompatible.

That being said, there will likely be games for it eventually, but forget using it as laptop replacement for windows games.

G

[Legitimate Question: Can this thing run Crysis? Is it meant for gaming or just someone browsing the internet, checking E-mails and word processing?]

Legitimate Answer: No it cannot run Crysis. It is meant for gaming for those who like Angry Birds. Yes, you can browse internet, check emails and edit office documents in it. Best part about the tablet is the addition of a cover keyboard, and ability to support various external devices (including hard drive) with the USB port. Worst part about it is you currently have very few apps that you can run so you better like Office as your main computing activities.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Any word on how good Adobe Flash support on Windows RT?[/citation]
See for yourself:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6385/microsoft-surface-review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6387/asus-vivotab-rt-review

Windows RT, however, consumes a considerable proportion from the tablet's storage capacity. The 32GB version seemingly has as much as 12GB less storage on the device due to the operating system, leaving users with 20GB of space to utilize.
WHAT THE HELL? Zak seriously. Does it HAVE to have a negative ending with anything non-Apple?

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
The 32GB version seemingly has as much as 12GB less storage on the device due to the operating system, leaving users with 20GB of space to utilize.
And once again you reiterate this misinformation. Let me quote someone from the comments of your other article.
The source never stated 12 gigs was the install. The guy said after the OS, Office and "A bunch of apps you will be left with 20 GBs.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/11kyja/iam_panos_panay_gm_of_microsoft_surface_amaa_ask/c6ndgfl

Stop spreading LIES.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
After years of the same stuff we finally get something new and way better and everyone's lynching MS for it. It's like people hate Apple just because and when a company comes with something innovative it's unacceptable. [citation][nom]Wolygon[/nom]And once again you reiterate this misinformation. Let me quote someone from the comments of your other article.http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme [...] sk/c6ndgflStop spreading LIES.[/citation]
There's also the extra 7 GB free on SkyDrive which works on all devices (Mac, iOS, Android, etc). I believe you can have up to 100 GB , for a fee.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I think the Surface is actually is actually a great thing for everyone seeing as its a solid and even innovative design that should push tablet makers with its competition.

I'm holding out for the "Pro" that runs full windows. Being able to install full Windows programs would be epic for a tablet w/keyboard cover. Sooo much easier to pull out on airplanes to get work done, not to mention a tablet I could load some real games on (even if slightly older games).

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Zak Islam[/nom]Windows RT, however, consumes a considerable proportion from the tablet's storage capacity. The 32GB version seemingly has as much as 12GB less storage on the device due to the operating system, leaving users with 20GB of space to utilize.[/citation]

You keep saying this on your Surface articles, you can say it as much as you want but it will never be true. The quote from Reddit said after "A bunch of apps" you will be left with 20 GBs.

I wish I could filter out Zak Islam's posts. It used to be as easy as avoiding apple articles but now he posts about the competition and always throws a bash in there.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I like this quote "Demand for Microsoft's Surface tablet has been unprecedented ever since the device's pre-orders commenced" unprecedented compared to what? Is he referring to other Microsoft products, because this happens every time Apple releases a new tablet or phone. I would selling out pre orders for a device is unprecedented.

[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]I asked before and I will ask again : How many have they sold ? , 1 ? , 1 billion ? one and a half ? ...[/citation]
The are predicting about 5 million by the end of the year, so we can assume it is less than that.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

With Adobe now abandoning Flash on Android, I'm guessing not good. I'm guessing it'll still run fine on the x86/x64 version of Windows 8.

G

Has anyone in Canada received a shipping notice yet? I've ordered one, did get the " too bad, we're not going to deliver.." email, followed by the "oops" one, but still no tracking/shipping info.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]I asked before and I will ask again : How many have they sold ? , 1 ? , 1 billion ? one and a half ? ...[/citation]

I believe they said initial production was 4 or 5 million, so if they sold out it is probably in that neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.