tuk

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
AMD Opteron 170 2.0GHz Socket 939 1000MHz 275.77
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (SKT 754/939/940) CPU Cooler 13.5
DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert 140
2x 1GB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFF NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 116.31
Samsung SpinPoint P 250GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s 8MB Cache 53.57
256MB ASUS 7900GTTOP Mem 1440 MHz, GPU 520 MHz, 24 Pipes, Dual DVI-I S-Video/TV Out 214.9
Nesteq 620w PSU 140
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid Tower Case 103.27
Postage 8.95 quietPC + 10.00 SCAN 18.95

£1076.27 Scan + quietpc
$2027.26

Looking to build a system for all aspects of PC use. I really cant afford to spend a penny/dime more than already stated(already gone over several times).

Hows does it look to you guys...maybe i should go with x2 4200 instead???

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Looks good to me, but I haven't heard good reviews on the CPU cooler, maybe the Tuniq Tower 120? It is pretty quiet, but big. Or a Zalman, or a Thermaltake. These are all good choices, unless you'd really like the Arctic.

You got a really good deal on the GPU, I'd stick with it.

I'm guessing you are not going to be getting AM2, otherwise I would have recommended the X2 4000+...

~Ibrahim~

chenBrazil

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Artic cooler is fine, but tuniq perform better , specially if you are going to OC (if not...that's a shame as 170 opty is so ocable...) Check if your case choice a mid tower will fit the cooler you choose as some cases do have problem with hi-end cooling solutions because some lack space or better ventilation for better cooling performance . I use Ammo 533 from coolermaster and results are fine. If you are not going to use the second VGA (SLi), maybe you can save some money buying single slot MB...
I would go for better memory , cl 2 would be better , PC 4000 would give you better oc possibilities...OCZ or Gskill have good deals on this area...

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
True, but is he going to be overclocking? Yeah, if you are not planning for SLi, try the ASUS A8N-E. Also, DON'T get the 4200+ over the Opty. Less cache. Only 939-Pin X2 1MB or more CPUs: 4400+, 4800+, FX-60. Cache isn't too important, but it can't be upgraded.

~Ibrahim~

tuk

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Thanks for the feedback, I forgot to mention that I wanted to build something that was quiet as well as fast..

Im trying to keep my options open with this rig, maybe in the future I will go SLI or maybe use the slot for something else, sometimes the SLI boards have better features and are slightly better designed,
Im considering a mild overclock...but i still got more research to do...
I know the Dimms dont look like anything special but I thought 2Gb medium slow was better than 1Gb medium fast in regard to overall system speed

As for the Artic, heres a review from 'Custom PC', I really like the low price/temperture/noise ratio

Verdict: Cooler than Frosty The Snowman's refrigerator

Arctic Cooling has a tradition of producing excellent HSFs and the Freezer 64 Pro is no exception.

The heatsink is actually similar to the Freezer 64, but it has a higher number of more tightly packed aluminium fins. This increases the weight of the Freezer 64 Pro by almost 15 per cent, so Arctic Cooling has updated its mounting mechanism. It still attaches to the CPU mounting bracket, but the clip pressure has been increased to make sure that the heavier Freezer 64 Pro doesn't wobble about on top of the CPU. Unfortunately, the Freezer 64 Pro's clip pressure is so high that you really need to remove the motherboard in order to install it.

The 92mm fan spins at 2,000rpm, yet barely makes any noise at all. Best of all, the Freezer 64 Pro is an even better HSF than its predecessor, cooling the Athlon 64 test CPU to 18ûC below the reference AMD HSF.

Although the Gigabyte G-Cooler Power Pro and Cooler Master Hyper 6+ are more powerful HSFs, the Freezer 64 Pro is quieter and cheaper. Unless you want the passively cooled Scythe Ninja, you'd be a fool to buy any other HSF for your Athlon 64.

From what I have seen of Am2 it isnt really any faster than 939 unless running DDR2 which kinda starts pushing up overall system costs

Feel free to destroy any illusions im having

Imgnryflagdotcom

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Go to DFI Street and read the posts there, you'll learn alot about DFI boards (As they can become either really good, or really bad if you don't know what you're doing).

People there might also tell you to get the Ultra-D mobo from DFI. It has 2 PCI-Xpress slots but doesn't have an SLI chipset (But you can mod that yourself, all you need is a pencil.). It would save you $50 USD.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
OK, thanks. I had read a semi-good review about it, and wasn't sure. Thanks for the review! Does the mod for SLi have a good chance of success? If not, you might be better off with the SLi version. I'm kind of confused how it can have SLi without the nVidia Northbridge/Southbridge. SLi IS a software thing, though, so maybe. I don't know, I personally would rather just get the SLi version to make SURE it'll work.

Well, I'll try not to destroy them, lol. AM2 has to use DDR2, it can't use DDR, that I pretty sure of. And you'd have to be using around DDR800 to hardly surpass the DDR400 because of the loose timings, like DDR RAM can hit timings as close as 2-2-2-5, while DDR2 at it's best can hit 3-4-3-9. Those are both "performance" chips, meaning they'll cost $100+ per gig. AM2 is doing all right, but there has to motherboards in the MAINSTREAM. Currently, all you have is high-end to enthusiast, costing $125+. That is where your system cost is going higher, and then the high memory costs are soaring for quality RAM that is actually faster than DDR. It'll take some time for both things to drop in prices.

~Ibrahim~

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
AMD Opteron 170 2.0GHz Socket 939 1000MHz 275.77
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro (SKT 754/939/940) CPU Cooler 13.5
DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert 140
2x 1GB DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFF NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 116.31
Samsung SpinPoint P 250GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s 8MB Cache 53.57
256MB ASUS 7900GTTOP Mem 1440 MHz, GPU 520 MHz, 24 Pipes, Dual DVI-I S-Video/TV Out 214.9
Nesteq 620w PSU 140
Antec P180 Advanced Super Mid Tower Case 103.27
Postage 8.95 quietPC + 10.00 SCAN 18.95

£1076.27 Scan + quietpc
$2027.26

Looking to build a system for all aspects of PC use. I really cant afford to spend a penny/dime more than already stated(already gone over several times).

Since the budget is rigid, I'd look for items that can possibly be changed. For example, there are decent cases out there that cost less than the P180. You can probably substitute an OCZ 520 Modtstream PS and save a bunch. It's a very solid PS but if you want more juice, the OCZ 600 watt Gamextreme is just $119USD. I'd recommend avoiding SLI and getting the DFI LP nF4 mobo which will save you a few more pounds. Then take the excess and get some better RAM. OCZ Platinum DDR500 is on sale and with a MIR on Newegg right now. Stick with the Opty 170. I just built one up last month and it's really excellent. At stock clock it runs super cool, like 24 to 26C. I ran 3DMark06 at stock clock last night and some other benches and managed to get it all the way up to 27C. I'm just beginning to piddle OC'ing it but it looks to be a beast. Love it!

tuk

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I have just heard that Nesteq have 'product recalled' the nesteq 620w PSU, because of a problem with a rubber sound dampner causing the fan to make more noise than it should...this recall has been instigated by Nesteq...which I guess it says something for their integrity..

I looked around at cheaper alternatives promising roughly the same spec...but not as quiet...seems some PSU's have problems with the DFI boards(seasonic)...and if they dont then there are noise issues etc....Damm I gotta wait now....cos i really want a nesteq

The reason im spending so much on the PSU is because cheap PSU's/cases can so often be the cause of failure in system components and overall system stability/efficiency...and also to have a quiet PC

Im sure there are cheaper cases than the Antec 180, but Im not sure they would have the same degree of noise/cooling and overall good design

Even if i dont use SLI the Expert version of the DFI board it seems to have better features and component quality..with the option to go SLI in the future

The Asus boards seem to have a higher fail profile on the net

As much as I would like to get better Dimms I dont think I can justify compromising the psu/mobo/case...I mean just how much difference will it make to my system to have 1Gb medium fast dimms instead of 2Gb medium slow(see shopping list)

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
The reason im spending so much on the PSU is because cheap PSU's/cases can so often be the cause of failure in system components and overall system stability/efficiency...and also to have a quiet PC

No need to justify to me at all. I'm typing this on a rig with a mushkin 700watter, four 12V rails that auto-bridge if current demands saturate a single rail. And it's pretty and quiet. If only she swallowed, I think I'd buy her a ring.

Im sure there are cheaper cases than the Antec 180, but Im not sure they would have the same degree of noise/cooling and overall good design

Sure, I understand. Picking a case is one of the more nebulous choices.

As much as I would like to get better Dimms I dont think I can justify compromising the psu/mobo/case...I mean just how much difference will it make to my system to have 1Gb medium fast dimms instead of 2Gb medium slow(see shopping list)

Hey, freedom of choice makes life worth living. Good luck.