Sign in with
Your question

144 vs D805 in my situation. Help please!

Last response: in Overclocking
May 30, 2006 3:52:21 PM

My current setup is an Opteron 144 @ 2.2ghz. On my current setup that’s as far as it’ll go. Roughly what would the clock speed of a Pentium D805 have to reach before it eclipses that? I know it’s dual core, but I use a mix of video editing/photoshop & gaming apps. Is it worth me going for a D805 based system and overclocking, and getting rid of the Opty to someone who can get the most out of it?

More about : 144 d805 situation

May 31, 2006 10:06:41 AM

What is your current setup?
May 31, 2006 10:18:51 AM

I can post it in a few days when I'm next to the machine but basically I'm running an Abit Fatality Mobo, Opty 144 (CABYE stepping from memory - so pretty good?), and 2 x 512mb Corsair XMS PC4000. My psu is a 550W not so good brand, but not terrible. Voltages are well within 5% boundaries.

When I clock above 2.2Ghz the machine won't even start and I have to reset the cmos. At just under, when I'm pushing it too far I get blue screens and lockups in Windows.

Also, the corsair memory will not even start the system in the first 2 slots, but will in the second, so I'm feeling they may not be working as a matched pair because in the 3rd and 4th slots they work, albiet as single channel because these aren't dual channel slots. (even though the RAM is from the same batch, lot etc.)

Hope you can shed some light on it lads (& lasses). Cheers. :) 
Related resources
May 31, 2006 10:24:48 AM

Try using a memory divider because your RAM doesn't want to run over DDR500. Set it at DDR400 to keep it running within the rated speed.
May 31, 2006 10:42:16 AM

Quote:
Is it worth me going for a D805 based system and overclocking, and getting rid of the Opty to someone who can get the most out of it?

No. And remember that you have to get a new pair of DDR2 RAM to go with a good OC'ing mobo as well as a new $40 120mm-size HSF.

It takes 3.6Ghz to completely dominate A64 @2.2Ghz in single-threaded application. Not worth it.
D805 is a furnace, 144 is uhhh...(help me here!), the two can't be compared.

Your 144 shgould be running at 2.5Ghz+

I completely agree! :-D

It is not worth it.

You need a $240 motherboard + at least $200 for DDR2 + the 805 + an expensive HSF.

The 805 is not a good deal
May 31, 2006 10:44:28 AM

Quote:
I can post it in a few days when I'm next to the machine but basically I'm running an Abit Fatality Mobo, Opty 144 (CABYE stepping from memory - so pretty good?), and 2 x 512mb Corsair XMS PC4000. My psu is a 550W not so good brand, but not terrible. Voltages are well within 5% boundaries.

When I clock above 2.2Ghz the machine won't even start and I have to reset the cmos. At just under, when I'm pushing it too far I get blue screens and lockups in Windows.

Also, the corsair memory will not even start the system in the first 2 slots, but will in the second, so I'm feeling they may not be working as a matched pair because in the 3rd and 4th slots they work, albiet as single channel because these aren't dual channel slots. (even though the RAM is from the same batch, lot etc.)

Hope you can shed some light on it lads (& lasses). Cheers. :) 

Are your corsair sticks identical?
May 31, 2006 10:44:46 AM

It wasn't all about the price. I mean, I picked up the components cheaply here in the uk. I could have sold the Opty kit and bought P4 stuff without losing out to be honest. It's just this damn failed overclock that's really annoying me. Never mind, I shall have another go at it when I find the time. I really want the think running at 2.5ghz+
May 31, 2006 10:48:39 AM

Quote:
It wasn't all about the price. I mean, I picked up the components cheaply here in the uk. I could have sold the Opty kit and bought P4 stuff without losing out to be honest. It's just this damn failed overclock that's really annoying me. Never mind, I shall have another go at it when I find the time. I really want the think running at 2.5ghz+

With a good board, PSU and RAM should be able to push the 144 way up there.

Most 1xx Opterons OC very well.

You just have to take it one step at a time... it sure sounds like your RAM isn't cooperating...

GL :-D
May 31, 2006 10:52:57 AM

Thing is, thinking about it, it's Twinx PC4400 stuff I think. Very annoying to say the least.

I'll try and test it in a friends A64 PC.

Cheers for the help :) 
May 31, 2006 10:57:51 AM

Quote:
Thing is, thinking about it, it's Twinx PC4400 stuff I think. Very annoying to say the least.

I'll try and test it in a friends A64 PC.

Cheers for the help :) 

That's supposed to be really good stuff, I use Corsair XMS myself and it's some of the best RAM you can get.

It sounds like there might a compatibility issue with your motherboard...

Have you memtested it?

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-b...

Download http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorder...

Unzip memtest86 and record the ISO to a CDR with ISORecorder ( you must have XP SP2 ).

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm
May 31, 2006 11:00:04 AM

No problems with memtest :( 

I'll test it and if it works fine with a friends, i'll check the compatability with this fatality mobo. It should support it though. Failing that, Abit are going to receive a lovely present in the post :D 
May 31, 2006 11:04:09 AM

Quote:
No problems with memtest :( 

I'll test it and if it works fine with a friends, i'll check the compatability with this fatality mobo. It should support it though. Failing that, Abit are going to receive a lovely present in the post :D 

Here's the thing... I have an ASUS board which refuses to work with my Corsair XMS PC3200 while my MSI board with an identical chipset works just fine.

Compat issues do exist sometimes.

A BIOS update might help.

:-D
May 31, 2006 12:03:07 PM

wouldn't he have to raise voltages to overclock the opty more (seeing as nobody mentioned this)? in order to reach 2.5 ghz?

Ara
May 31, 2006 12:36:26 PM

Yep Ara, tried that. Can't get past 2.3Ghz even by boosting the Vcore. The board has an excellent in Windows overclocking util as well, where you can alter pretty much everything you can in the bios, but no luck with that either.
May 31, 2006 12:58:58 PM

Quote:
Yep Ara, tried that. Can't get past 2.3Ghz even by boosting the Vcore. The board has an excellent in Windows overclocking util as well, where you can alter pretty much everything you can in the bios, but no luck with that either.

If your RAM is not working correctly, you will not be able to OC very much at all because the RAM and the clock are dependent on each other.

Once you resolve your RAM issues I believe you will be able to OC to the 144's true potential.
May 31, 2006 1:18:33 PM

Quote:
I completely agree! Very Happy

It is not worth it.

You need a $240 motherboard + at least $200 for DDR2 + the 805 + an expensive HSF.

I happen to disagree here.

You do not need a $240USD board, I have a D805 on an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe running @ 3.8GHz (190MHz FSB, 1.625V Vcore). I was running it perfectly with a Thermaltake BigTyphoon cooler with no issues whatsoever (just switched to a BigWater SE setup, will push for 4GHz soon). Although I only use Corsair Value Select PC2-4300 (2GB kit) at the moment it still beats the living daylights out of my stock X2 4400+, 2GB G.Skill PC3200 (2-3-2-5, I think), DFI nF4-SLI-DR rig at the moment. Both systems also run identical 256MB 7800GTXs and 550W TP2.0 Antec PSUs.

Its not to say I am not a fan of AMD, but given the value of the D805 and i945-based motherboards such as the P5LD2 Deluxe. Its getting hard not to consider one for OC'ing. So what if it is a hotplate, you can't expect everything for free without a catch.

As for Richard_uk's Opty, persist with it. Those things are just as mad OC'ing as the D805. I reckon you just need a decent power supply, as I found with most generic ones, even if voltages are within optimal operating range just can't cut the mustard with a decent overclock. Most of the higher end PSUs are able to deliver cleaner, more stable power and can therefore help in your situation. Another thing to consider is that generic PSUs will say things like 550W when in reality it a 450W rated PSU with a 550W peak that can only be held for a short period of time before it burns out or shuts down.

Otherwise look at another board, like a DFI nF4 Ultra-D or similar. These boards would be the ultimate complement to your CPU. Abit boards like you have are good, but I just don't think they have enjoyed the overclocking success Abit had in the past.

Funny thing is, I built my D805 as an experimentation with the LGA775 layout and now use it as my main rig instead of the X2 4400+. I am clearly that impreesed with it. And the 550W PSU handles the CPU, video card, 4 x SATA drives, 1 x Optical drive and four fans on a fan controller at full load all day without a problem. Now I am off for some experimentation with the X2 4400+........
May 31, 2006 1:34:19 PM

Quote:
I completely agree! Very Happy

It is not worth it.

I happen to disagree here.

You do not need a $240USD board, I have a D805 on an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe running @ 3.8GHz (190MHz FSB, 1.625V Vcore). I was running it perfectly with a Thermaltake BigTyphoon cooler with no issues whatsoever (just switched to a BigWater SE setup, will push for 4GHz soon). Although I only use Corsair Value Select PC2-4300 (2GB kit) at the moment it still beats the living daylights out of my stock X2 4400+, 2GB G.Skill PC3200 (2-3-2-5, I think), DFI nF4-SLI-DR rig at the moment. Both systems also run identical 256MB 7800GTXs and 550W TP2.0 Antec PSUs.

Its not to say I am not a fan of AMD, but given the value of the D805 and i945-based motherboards such as the P5LD2 Deluxe. Its getting hard not to consider one for OC'ing. So what if it is a hotplate, you can't expect everything for free without a catch.

As for Richard_uk's Opty, persist with it. Those things are just as mad OC'ing as the D805. I reckon you just need a decent power supply, as I found with most generic ones, even if voltages are within optimal operating range just can't cut the mustard with a decent overclock. Most of the higher end PSUs are able to deliver cleaner, more stable power and can therefore help in your situation. Another thing to consider is that generic PSUs will say things like 550W when in reality it a 450W rated PSU with a 550W peak that can only be held for a short period of time before it burns out or shuts down.

Otherwise look at another board, like a DFI nF4 Ultra-D or similar. These boards would be the ultimate complement to your CPU. Abit boards like you have are good, but I just don't think they have enjoyed the overclocking success Abit had in the past.

Funny thing is, I built my D805 as an experimentation with the LGA775 layout and now use it as my main rig instead of the X2 4400+. I am clearly that impreesed with it. And the 550W PSU handles the CPU, video card, 4 x SATA drives, 1 x Optical drive and four fans on a fan controller at full load all day without a problem. Now I am off for some experimentation with the X2 4400+........

How much did that WC setup cost you?

The heat dissipation and power consumption is not worth it in my opinion.

Also it is not fair to compare an OC'ed CPU vs one at stock.
May 31, 2006 1:51:52 PM

3.1ghz on air.... CCB1E though.... no the YE. Plus my dual core opty 165 goes over 3ghz stable on air.... sold my CCBWE to a non oc'ing friend, and bought this one... glad I did, fun to play with.
May 31, 2006 3:07:24 PM

Quote:

How much did that WC setup cost you?

The heat dissipation and power consumption is not worth it in my opinion.

Also it is not fair to compare an OC'ed CPU vs one at stock.

I only invested in the watercooling setup after using a Thermaltake Big Typhoon air cooling setup. When I was running the air cooled setup I was still able to run 3.8GHz stable. The watercooling setup was purchased on eBay for about $100USD, retail here in oz is about $160-165USD. The Big Typhoon I purchased for about $40USD through eBay again. I only bought the WC setup to be able to push the CPU even further. But like I said before you don't need to spend all that $$$ on a big ass 975X board unless you require Crossfire capability, when a 945 chipset can do the job for much less to be able to allow you to invest in better cooling arrangements.

As far as heat dissipation and power consumption are concerned, overclocking a PC is much like "hotting up" a car engine. You sacrifice reliability and fuel efficiency in order to gain that bit extra in performance. Where you lay your compromise on the scale of reliability vs performance is totally up to you. As far as I am concerned, I'll take every last bit out of it, I want to push the limits of this thing, regardless of the sacrifice as I said it was an experimentation to begin with as I still have a backup to fallback on in case of extreme failure. Then what do I care? Stuff all, I am fortunate enough to not be paying my electricity bill, so I'll take it for all its worth.

Comparing OC'd CPUs to stock ones. Yeah good point, but the D805 is AUS$220 ($166USD), the X2 4400+ cost me nearly AUS$800 ($605USD). My point here is the same as one the main goals of overclocking, to be able to acheive the performance of much pricier components by OC'ing lower priced components to their limits and beyond. And again my point of not having to spend as much money to do it where possible.

I am not saying that everyone should throw away everything they have done with their Opterons or whatever they have, but just saying there is another option to consider and having travelled that road myself with positive results if you can cope with the sacrifice. If you have the power and the means, use it, after all that is what it is there for.[/quote]
May 31, 2006 3:29:04 PM

Do you realize what the 805 does to the environment?

It's power consumption is almost double the already terrible TDP.
May 31, 2006 4:21:55 PM

Cheers for the advice guys, feel free to keep it coming.

Think i'm going to bite the bullet and look for some new OCing RAM (Geil perhaps) and a better PSU. I just didn't want the expense :) 

I've heard the argument for the 805s power consumption and also @ 2.2 the Opty only runs at like 28 degrees under load thanks to a big Coolermaster Hyper 6 (the thing is a beast). I'll keep working at it and in a few days/weeks/months I may have a nice overclock. :D 
May 31, 2006 4:48:09 PM

Quote:
Cheers for the advice guys, feel free to keep it coming.

Think i'm going to bite the bullet and look for some new OCing RAM (Geil perhaps) and a better PSU. I just didn't want the expense :) 

I've heard the argument for the 805s power consumption and also @ 2.2 the Opty only runs at like 28 degrees under load thanks to a big Coolermaster Hyper 6 (the thing is a beast). I'll keep working at it and in a few days/weeks/months I may have a nice overclock. :D 

http://www.abit-usa.com/memory/

Here's the compat list:

http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/Fatal1ty%20AN8%20SLI...

Take it with a grain of salt.

Corsair XMS is usually extremely good. I normally recommend Corsair, OCZ, Crucial in that other.
May 31, 2006 4:57:40 PM

It is rather vague, yes.

I thought they were bulletproof as well to be honest. It's all very expensive and frustrating. Never mind. I'll be looking for a budget 550watt decent brand PSU then in the meantime. The old one is a Qtec Gold one.
May 31, 2006 5:08:34 PM

Quote:
It is rather vague, yes.

I thought they were bulletproof as well to be honest. It's all very expensive and frustrating. Never mind. I'll be looking for a budget 550watt decent brand PSU then in the meantime. The old one is a Qtec Gold one.

I don't want to place blame on Abit but I suspect the memory is fine and the board just doesn't like it.

A BIOS update may fix the problem.

If the memory is in fact identical you should be able to run it in dual channel without any problems.

As I said earlier I have 2 sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200 512MB C2 which do not work on my ASUS A8V board but they work fine on my MSI K8T Neo2, both have the K8T800 chipset and are socket 939.

You could certainly trade, sell or exchange the memory. If the memory is defective Corsair will surely replace it ( should have a lifetime warranty ).

As far as PSUs are concerned I would recommend:

Antec (True Power), PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Silverstone, OCZ.

FSP Group / Fortron Source is usually pretty good too.

Good Luck :-D
May 31, 2006 5:35:50 PM

Quote:
Is it worth me going for a D805 based system and overclocking, and getting rid of the Opty to someone who can get the most out of it?

No. And remember that you have to get a new pair of DDR2 RAM to go with a good OC'ing mobo as well as a new $40 120mm-size HSF.

It takes 3.6Ghz to completely dominate A64 @2.2Ghz in single-threaded application. Not worth it.

It is not worth it.

I agree that you should not go for a D805 its not really an upgrade unless you use a bunch of multithreaded apps. That would be the only reason

However if you are thinking about it linux is crazy with his prices.
$150 p5ld2 will work just fine, $200 ddr2 are you crazy? a $60 1 gig stick of pqi turbo 667mhz got 3.6ghz.and remember 667mhz is more then enough for the 133fsb you start with. of course the price of the cpu $130 and if you really want to a $40-$60 hsf even though its been documented stock hsf can make 3.5-3.6ghz.

I dont mind discouraging others from buying certain cpu's, but throwing up B.S prices is wrong
May 31, 2006 6:42:34 PM

To be honest lads & lasses, I skipped over the pricing as I'm a brit.

As it happens I've just got hold of a used Antec TruePower 550W supply for £35. Good price I think & should remove one area of doubt at least.
June 1, 2006 12:44:32 AM

Nope the cheapest you can go the aquagate mini 80mm for $70 granted it wont be better (or as good) then a good aftermarket hsf. but since i have the 120mm version it holds a special place in my heart

here you go for what its worth watercooling setups

1. Coolermaster Aquagate mini 80 $70
2. Coolermaster Aquagate mini 120 $85
3. Coolermaster Aquagate L.C.S $100
4. Thermaltake Bigwater SE Cl-wooo5 $100
5. Thermaltake silent water cl-w00g5 $110
6. Gigabyte g4-wIu01 $130
7. Corsair nautilus 500 $149
8. Thermaltake Bigwater 745 $150

6,7,8 being the most popular and best performing

I know this was off topic but it was fun regardless
June 1, 2006 3:16:21 AM

Quote:

It is not worth it.

I agree that you should not go for a D805 its not really an upgrade unless you use a bunch of multithreaded apps. That would be the only reason

However if you are thinking about it linux is crazy with his prices.
$150 p5ld2 will work just fine, $200 ddr2 are you crazy? a $60 1 gig stick of pqi turbo 667mhz got 3.6ghz.and remember 667mhz is more then enough for the 133fsb you start with. of course the price of the cpu $130 and if you really want to a $40-$60 hsf even though its been documented stock hsf can make 3.5-3.6ghz.

I dont mind discouraging others from buying certain cpu's, but throwing up B.S prices is wrong

Negative that was correct pricing for a 975XBX to downgrade / upgrade to con-roe[TM] later + decent DDR2 + the 805 + an expensive HSF or WC setup.

The 945 works but the is no way it will work with a con-roe[TM].

A good WC setup will cost you at least $150. A really nice one over $200.

If you're going to go beyond 4.0 GHz you will likely need it.

At the end of the day when you add it all up Intel costs the same or more than a similar performing AMD.
June 1, 2006 9:25:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Negative that was correct pricing for a 975XBX to downgrade / upgrade to con-roe[TM] later + decent DDR2 + the 805 + an expensive HSF or WC setup.

The 945 works but the is no way it will work with a con-roe[TM].

A good WC setup will cost you at least $150. A really nice one over $200.

If you're going to go beyond 4.0 GHz you will likely need it.

At the end of the day when you add it all up Intel costs the same or more than a similar performing AMD.

Where the hell conroe come from no one was talking about conroe?????

"At the end of the day when you add it all up Intel costs the same or more than a similar performing AMD" well as long as you believe that its ok.
June 1, 2006 9:37:49 AM

Quote:
I meant the cheapest one that still fits in the requirement of OC'ed D805.

1, 2, 3, and 7 on your list are kids' playtoy.

7. Corsair nautilus 500: well My kids playtoy has no problem with 4ghz
June 1, 2006 9:57:25 AM

805 = HYPE+HYPE+HYPE

con-roe[TM] maybe worth upgrading to if it's for real

I have configured similar AMD and Intel rigs and pricing in the end is about the same.
June 1, 2006 12:15:10 PM

Quote:

Run Prime95 for 4hrs under 4Ghz and you'll see what I mean.

Indeed :-D

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:
June 1, 2006 5:11:14 PM

Quote:

Run Prime95 for 4hrs under 4Ghz and you'll see what I mean.

i run 2x cpu burn for over 8hours already and unlike my bigwater this has not leaked
June 2, 2006 8:15:55 AM

Quote:
You'll also need this or Throttlewatch to check the dirty tricks your furnace is pulling off.

Yes indeed :-D

Great link!
June 2, 2006 9:36:08 AM

I have the same set up as you Richard_uk. I can't get past 2.21mhz on my 144 neither with Kingston Memory, Check sig.

My memory is running @ Dual Channel though.

I have a cheapo 550watt power supply too. :-(

Did you get the power supply?

If that doesn't solve our problem, then it has to be the Abit board.

Let me know how you make out.

O, yeah, another thing.

If I try to push the 144 past 2.21 my windows stops loading and then it will reset my CPU, saying it's running at an unsafe speed.

I also did the Memory Divider too. Set to DDR333. You didn't mention that you used the memory divider yet.
June 2, 2006 10:21:49 AM

Mine is the non sli version of your board mate, but I see no reason why these boards should not OC well. I mean, they have like ALL the settings to tamper with, and the chipset behind it is the leader so I don't know what we're running up against.

The PSU was from ebay so it'll be a few days yet. I'll report back if it changes anything though. Surely, our problems would be slightly different if it had been the PSU? The memory I have been using Is PC4200, so no real need to use a divider I don't think, in fact, I don't even know how to set one up! I'm on the hunt for new OC memory as well, possibly ballistix. I'm thinking, sod it, lets just get it running at a top speed!

What stepping is your opty by the way? Is it CABYE like mine?
June 8, 2006 10:39:07 AM

Right, so here's the update!

Since my last post I have fitted the Antec TruePower 550W PSU which changed nothing. That said, it was time for the generic one to go and at least I've futureproofed the system as well as making it slightly quieter!

Also, I tried my corsair xms in a friends Abit board. Worked fine dual channel.

I tried his Kingston and my board would boot with it in DIMM1 & 3, but not in 1 & 2, exactly the same results as with my old RAM. Also, tried some different XMS PC4000 Spec and again, it won't boot in the first two dimms, but will in 1 & 3, meaning it's running in single channel.

I've been using the abit OC utility from within windows and I can't push it past 235fsb. Even boosting the voltage to way past 1.4 (i.e. 1.475 is what I put it to to try and get over the hurdle) It still won't respond. Temps don't spike which is why I didn't worry about this (30 degrees idle).

So, I've more or less decided to send the board back to Abit when I find the time. Do you think replacing this & running in dual channel will allow me to unlock the capability of the processor? Or have I got a crap chip?

Here's the CPU-Z of the processor on stock.
CPU-Z
June 8, 2006 10:53:38 AM

Quote:
Right, so here's the update!

Since my last post I have fitted the Antec TruePower 550W PSU which changed nothing. That said, it was time for the generic one to go and at least I've futureproofed the system as well as making it slightly quieter!

Also, I tried my corsair xms in a friends Abit board. Worked fine dual channel.

I tried his Kingston and my board would boot with it in DIMM1 & 3, but not in 1 & 2, exactly the same results as with my old RAM. Also, tried some different XMS PC4000 Spec and again, it won't boot in the first two dimms, but will in 1 & 3, meaning it's running in single channel.

I've been using the abit OC utility from within windows and I can't push it past 235fsb. Even boosting the voltage to way past 1.4 (i.e. 1.475 is what I put it to to try and get over the hurdle) It still won't respond. Temps don't spike which is why I didn't worry about this (30 degrees idle).

So, I've more or less decided to send the board back to Abit when I find the time. Do you think replacing this & running in dual channel will allow me to unlock the capability of the processor? Or have I got a crap chip?

Here's the CPU-Z of the processor on stock.
CPU-Z

I would say your board is probably to blame. Although the CPU may not be able to handle it.

It should certainly be able to run in dual channel.

I would suggest trying a DFI or Epox board.

I myself have an ASUS A8V K8T800 board which refuses to run with 1 or 2 Sticks of Corsair XMS PC3200C2 but works with Corsair Value Select just fine.

Have you updated the BIOS by the way?

Are you able to try it in another board?
June 8, 2006 10:59:14 AM

I don't have another way to test the Opty unfortunately. Although it will cost me a small amount, I'm going to get Abit to test and replace the board as I can't really afford to buy another. Even if it won't let me get beyond 235 at least I'll be dual channel :( 

BIOS is updated to the newest one & it's meant to run fine with the corsair, albiet at 2.8V which i've set it at.
June 8, 2006 11:04:15 AM

Quote:
I don't have another way to test the Opty unfortunately. Although it will cost me a small amount, I'm going to get Abit to test and replace the board as I can't really afford to buy another. Even if it won't let me get beyond 235 at least I'll be dual channel :( 

BIOS is updated to the newest one & it's meant to run fine with the corsair, albiet at 2.8V which i've set it at.

It should be quite a bit faster in Dual Channel, so that'll be good.

Maybe they can suggest some settings that will work so you don't have to pay to get the board swapped out.

235FSB is really not that bad, it's a decent OC for free :-D
!