Can DDR2 be mixed with SD ram? (yes, i read the faq)

Skooma

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
i'm buying a new computer soon and i was wondering if i can put the old ram (which is SDRAM) in my new pc (Which is DDR2). i know it says in the faq that DDR cannot be mixed with SDRAM, but i was wondering does this apply to DDR2? thanks in advance

NeoPolus

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Nope, you won't even be able to plug the SDRAM on the DDR2 slots...

There used to be motherboards with SDRAM and DDR memory slots (they are different too), but they did only support using one of them (using the DDR slots or the SDRAM ones, but not both at the same time). But I think we won't ever see a mobo with SDRAM and DDR2 slots.

stuart

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
My guess by your post is that you should NEVER even attempt to open your computer case. My advice is buy an E-Machine, hook up with AOL and try not to post.

sailer

Splendid
Sure, you can put SDRAM into a DDR2 slot. First you line up the SDRAM as well as you can in the DDR2 slot. Then you get and big hammer and tap, hard. If that fails, just wind up and hit it good. Will the computer work afterwards? That's another story. Of course, after you get done with all this you can go out and buy real DDR2 memory to go with the new motherboard and anything else that got in the way of the hammer. Your favorite retailer will like the extra business, though don't expect him to warrenty any broken parts.

linux_0

Splendid
i'm buying a new computer soon and i was wondering if i can put the old ram (which is SDRAM) in my new pc (Which is DDR2). i know it says in the faq that DDR cannot be mixed with SDRAM, but i was wondering does this apply to DDR2? thanks in advance

Absolutely categorically no

Have you been using a little too much skooma? :lol: :lol:

j/k j/k :D

Elder Scrolls fan, I take it?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
SDRAM= 168 pins
DDR= 184 pins
DDR2= 240 pins
You do the math

My guess by your post is that you should NEVER even attempt to open your computer case. My advice is buy an E-Machine, hook up with AOL and try not to post.
I'll second that.

linux_0

Splendid
SDRAM= 168 pins
DDR= 184 pins
DDR2= 240 pins
You do the math

I'll second that.

DRAM 30pin SIMM

DRAM 72pin SIMM

PC66, PC100, PC133 SDRAM 168pin DIMM

PC2100, PC2700, PC3200, etc DDR SDRAM 184pin DIMM

PC2-3200 ... PC2-8500 DDR2 SDRAM 240pin DIMM

SDRAM 72pin SO-DIMM

SDRAM 144pin SO-DIMM

DDR SDRAM 200pin SO-DIMM

I'm not even going to mention RDRAM ;-)

:-D

Skooma

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
ok thanks, that was my friend who's getting the new pc btw, and im getting his old ram after he does (which yes, is compatible :D ), and i have another question, when he gives me his ram, i will need to get rid of 256mbs of my ram. I have 4 slots, each can hold a GB, two will be taken by his two 512 sticks, then i i have another 512 in the form of 128mbx2 and a 256mb stick. The question i want to ask is, will it be better to install the two 128mb sticks, or to install the one 256mb stick? or does it really make a difference? thanks again,

and yes, i'm a huge elder scrolls fan :p

linux_0

Splendid
ok thanks, that was my friend who's getting the new pc btw, and im getting his old ram after he does (which yes, is compatible :D ), and i have another question, when he gives me his ram, i will need to get rid of 256mbs of my ram. I have 4 slots, each can hold a GB, two will be taken by his two 512 sticks, then i i have another 512 in the form of 128mbx2 and a 256mb stick. The question i want to ask is, will it be better to install the two 128mb sticks, or to install the one 256mb stick? or does it really make a difference? thanks again,

For best performace you should run 2 identical DIMMs in Dual Channel config ( 128bit mode ).

What level are you in ES3: Morrowind?

Skooma

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

For best performace you should run 2 identical DIMMs in Dual Channel config ( 128bit mode ).

thanks,

lvl. 69 and at max lvl lol, need to start a new char again soon :)

linux_0

Splendid

thanks,

I'm level 71 ;-)

morrowind.png

Skooma

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006

thanks,

I'm level 71 ;-)

hehe, nice character, and you still have a few levels to go and all :D

linux_0

Splendid

It took me a while to get to level 71

ES3 runs on Linux? Or do you have a Windows PC that you use just for gaming? Or do you dual-boot between Linux and Windows?

ES3 does run on Linux.

I have several dedicated Linux PCs + some Unix machines + 1 dual boot box for games

TRENDING THREADS