Zalman 9500 LED cpu cooler in P180 case

Daveke34

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, this is probably a very silly question. I was thinking to put the Zalman 9500 LED cpu cooler in a Antec P180 case. But you won't see the LED, right ? What will happen ? Will there be a strange blue light through the cracks of the case :?
My local store doesn't sell the Zalman 9500 without Led. That's why I ask.
I could go with the Artic Freezer 64 Pro instead (but I prefer Zalman because it's more silent)

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I have the same setup and the led on the cooler is not that bright. At night you can see it a little, but it is nothing that will keep you awake. If you want i can take pics tonight and send them to you. Just PM me.

awesome cooler btw

TM

halcyon

Splendid
Dave, don't get the Zalman LED cooler unless you have a case that can let the LED photons escape.

Due to the LED photons that can't escape they'll likely build up and become compressed creating an unstable black hole at the direct center of the P180. When you open the case there will be a decompression which will, indeed, create a vacuum that will likely dislodge the the Zalman cooler and then cause it to implode and the remainder of your components to get sucked into the tiny black hole that was created by the non-escaping photons, including the case itself and anything likely within a 3 meter radius. I've seen this happen all too often and I'd hate for you to have lose your rig and possibly your life.

Yeah, I'd prolly go for a non-LED'd cooler with all this in mind.

8O

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Dave, don't get the Zalman LED cooler unless you have a case that can let the LED photons escape.

Due to the LED photons that can't escape they'll likely build up and become compressed creating an unstable black hole at the direct center of the P180. When you open the case there will be a decompression which will, indeed, create a vacuum that will likely dislodge the the Zalman cooler and then cause it to implode and the remainder of your components to get sucked into the tiny black hole that was created by the non-escaping photons, including the case itself and anything likely within a 3 meter radius. I've seen this happen all too often and I'd hate for you to have lose your rig and possibly your life.

Copycat.

Yeah, I'd prolly go for a non-LED'd cooler with all this in mind. 8O

Another solution is to pull one of the blue LEDs out of the fan and substitute in a red LED. As the compression process begins, destructive interference will counteract the black hole effect and you'll find it easy to OC to a bagillion GHz. A screen shot of this very phenomenon was shown here on Toms earlier. Unfortunately, that fellow's red LED burned up, his PC black holed and he was instantly flushed down his neighbor's toilet. This is serious business and requires a degree in Physix to fully comprehend. Or just buy a Physix card and install it out of phase with your GPU and look at the difference signal while listening to Marylin Manson backwards at 78 rpm.

halcyon

Splendid
LMAO

:lol:

You're right, of course, but I couldn't resist...but now I feel bad. As I can imagine why Dave may not want the blue light leaking out of his case's orifices. Heck, who would? You know that feeling you get when blue photons are leaking out of your orifices? Dude, it's no joke.

nigelf

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
i love it when this happens to threads. gives me a good laugh durning a boring day at work......wait, its quiting time!!!! im out here

What are you guys laughing about?
i seriously dont know ... this happy feeling just suddenly comes over me out of the unknown ... weird

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Scythe have a secret new weapon to counter the Zalman and its unrivalled LED cooling system: Ninja Balls!

ninja_balls.jpg

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
the power of the photons escape will make the silent fan from the zalman run light speed and make your machine hoover around and eventully take of into a infintus loop arond the eart orbit, making it spin faster and faster to eventually implode into dark mater and burst into super nova and this is how zalman 9500 can destroy all mankind... dengerous stuff this zalman things....

Now just answering your question i have a zalman 7000cu led and it's light it's not very bright, for me is even not bright enogh, so if the one on 9500 is similar you wont have any trouble of it bothring you, i guess

halcyon

Splendid
Whatwhatwhat getyourgrooveon, whatwhatwhatgetyourgrooveon.

Seriously, ? on the Zalman 9500. Does it come with thermalpaste already applied that I'd need to remove to use AS5 or does it come clean, ready-for-your-choice of tp? ...No it doesn't make a lot of difference, I'm just curious.

halcyon

Splendid
Thx Turbo. Is that cooler truly worth the ~$50 in terms of is it cooling. I know THG gave it good marks but I'm wondering if I should pick one up for m'A64 3K+. PCWiz 2K6 shows my processor hovering around 53 deg. C when NOT under load and as high as 64 deg. when only pushing iTunes visuals.

I'm using a cheesy Antec Lanman case with 2x120mm fans and though the ambient temperature in the room is not as cool as I personally prefer I thought the CPU would run cooler than it it has been in that case.

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
well, i switched from the stock cooler for my x2 3800+ when the temps under full load (2 instances of F@H) would take the chip up to about 58-59C. that is in a rather warm room. I have the 3 120mm fans in the p-180 on the low setting. Now with the 9500 and with about the same ambient room temp it never gets above 47C. With the ac on it doesnt go above 42-43C. I think it is worth it for the money. A Cool chip is a happy chip and happy chips live longer lives (......that sounds a bit..... :oops: )

EDIT: if i remember correctly I bought mine about 2 months ago at the local fry's for $39.99. They had a sale or something. You might be able to find one for that price somewhere.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
well, i switched from the stock cooler for my x2 3800+ when the temps under full load (2 instances of F@H) would take the chip up to about 58-59C. that is in a rather warm room. I have the 3 120mm fans in the p-180 on the low setting. Now with the 9500 and with about the same ambient room temp it never gets above 47C.

I didn't get quite that much improvement on my 4400+, more like 7C. But, hey, that's not so bad.

halcyon

Splendid
well, i switched from the stock cooler for my x2 3800+ when the temps under full load (2 instances of F@H) would take the chip up to about 58-59C. that is in a rather warm room. I have the 3 120mm fans in the p-180 on the low setting. Now with the 9500 and with about the same ambient room temp it never gets above 47C.

I didn't get quite that much improvement on my 4400+, more like 7C. But, hey, that's not so bad.

That's good to know. I'm wondering if that's worth it for this cheap CPU, though. I'm gonna just stop overclocking it for now and see how it does. Do I really need a fast jukebox? Naaaaaaa...