Sign in with
Your question

I am leaping off of the AMD bandwagon

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 30, 2006 8:56:49 PM

I have been a die hard AMD fan since the first Athlon 600 was released, those Slot A Athlons blew the doors off of the Intel processors. They handled memory better, played games better, and rendered video better. What has changed my mind? A Pentium D 950 chip for half the price of an Athlon x4800 changed my mind. Now here come the "Purist's" chasing me down with their pitch forks, ropes, tar and feathers, but before you lynch me, here is my rationalization. A x4800 chip costs roughly 700, I am rounding up 5 bucks you silly purists, and a D950 costs roughly 350, keep your tar and feathers to your self, I am rounding down a wopping five bucks. Hmm, 1.2 frames a second less in a game I love for half the price? Everyone has their price. I certainly do, it is $350. I render video also, you will notice that I am going to gain a whopping 2 seconds on 95mb mpeg2/dvd transition and encoded with Pinnacle, but I lose a second if I encode a mpeg2 in DivX 6. I think that is worth saving $350. Now you are going to say, but the NVidia SLI and Intel chips are not as good. SLI? I was doing SLI when most of the kids on here were still eating Gerber baby food and leaving messes in diapers for their parents to so kindly clean up. For you old school folks, I have one word. Voodoo. I had two of those bad boys in SLI and was playing Quake, MDK, ETC and getting wicked frame rates. Now you are going to tell me to get the Intel 975x chipset, it supports Crossfire. Uhm. No. A 955x chipset will do me fine, I was going to get the eVGA 7900GT, now, I can spend that extra $350 I am saving by not purchasing the AMD X4800 and put it torwards getting the 7900GTX. You can have your X4800, even your FX60 or FX62, but you are going to be stuck with your 7900GT and I again will be frame rate king. Here we go, you ATI fans are chomping at the bit for a piece of me. I have owned ATI cards in the past, notice the word past. ATI makes great integrated video for servers. :lol:  I have fried more ATI cards than Waffle House makes bacon, ATI is Canadian for Pete's sake! They fry lots of stuff beside bacon! I have never, ever fried, or had an Nvidia card crap out on me. I still have my old Viper w/ the Nvidia V770 Ultra chip running on my linux box, it has been running every day now since late 1999, never a hitch or a hiccup. Sorry, this is an AMD rant, not an ATI rant. I seemed to have gotten carried away.
I am stepping off my soap box now, as I turn to go, you may call me a traitor, a scoundrel, or even a cheap skate, but I will always remember you like I remember those Apple users slamming me for purchasing an Intel Pentium Pro 200 to edit my video, and yes, they got smoked too.

More about : leaping amd bandwagon

May 30, 2006 9:00:51 PM

damn noobs. go away! no one cares. sorry in advance for being so blunt, but yours is just one of about 5,000 posts saying the exact same thing in as many seconds.
May 30, 2006 9:07:14 PM

Quote:
damn noobs. go away! no one cares. sorry in advance for being so blunt, but yours is just one of about 5,000 posts saying the exact same thing in as many seconds.

Noob? ROTFLMAO I have been a visitor to Tom's Hardware since 1996. It seems you have consistantly posted on the forum here for a while, what else do you do with your free time? Don't answer that, I do not want to know. If you do not have anything intelligent to back up your claims, like calling me a noob, then you should sit back, drink a few more Mt. Dews, have some more Cheetos, and clean that orange sticky mess off of your keyboard.
Related resources
May 30, 2006 9:11:02 PM

ok fine- ur not a noob. whatever.

the POINT was no one gives a rat's ass about why you're jumping off the AMD bandwagon. as i said earlier, there's about 5,000 other posts like yours floating around. so save it for someone who actually cares.

to the rest of you: enough with this madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 30, 2006 9:12:28 PM

MPJesse - 1

Noobs - 0
May 30, 2006 9:18:06 PM

Quote:
I have been a die hard AMD fan since the first Athlon 600 was released, those Slot A Athlons blew the doors off of the Intel processors. They handled memory better, played games better, and rendered video better. What has changed my mind? A Pentium D 950 chip for half the price of an Athlon x4800 changed my mind. Now here come the "Purist's" chasing me down with their pitch forks, ropes, tar and feathers, but before you lynch me, here is my rationalization. A x4800 chip costs roughly 700, I am rounding up 5 bucks you silly purists, and a D950 costs roughly 350, keep your tar and feathers to your self, I am rounding down a wopping five bucks. Hmm, 1.2 frames a second less in a game I love for half the price? Everyone has their price. I certainly do, it is $350. I render video also, you will notice that I am going to gain a whopping 2 seconds on 95mb mpeg2/dvd transition and encoded with Pinnacle, but I lose a second if I encode a mpeg2 in DivX 6. I think that is worth saving $350. Now you are going to say, but the NVidia SLI and Intel chips are not as good. SLI? I was doing SLI when most of the kids on here were still eating Gerber baby food and leaving messes in diapers for their parents to so kindly clean up. For you old school folks, I have one word. Voodoo. I had two of those bad boys in SLI and was playing Quake, MDK, ETC and getting wicked frame rates. Now you are going to tell me to get the Intel 975x chipset, it supports Crossfire. Uhm. No. A 955x chipset will do me fine, I was going to get the eVGA 7900GT, now, I can spend that extra $350 I am saving by not purchasing the AMD X4800 and put it torwards getting the 7900GTX. You can have your X4800, even your FX60 or FX62, but you are going to be stuck with your 7900GT and I again will be frame rate king. Here we go, you ATI fans are chomping at the bit for a piece of me. I have owned ATI cards in the past, notice the word past. ATI makes great integrated video for servers. :lol:  I have fried more ATI cards than Waffle House makes bacon, ATI is Canadian for Pete's sake! They fry lots of stuff beside bacon! I have never, ever fried, or had an Nvidia card crap out on me. I still have my old Viper w/ the Nvidia V770 Ultra chip running on my linux box, it has been running every day now since late 1999, never a hitch or a hiccup. Sorry, this is an AMD rant, not an ATI rant. I seemed to have gotten carried away.
I am stepping off my soap box now, as I turn to go, you may call me a traitor, a scoundrel, or even a cheap skate, but I will always remember you like I remember those Apple users slamming me for purchasing an Intel Pentium Pro 200 to edit my video, and yes, they got smoked too.

Try to wait until it slows down. It's going pretty fast right now. Intel purposely dropped their prices cause they can barely give away NetBurst chips. It is a bold strategy considering that they will lose BILLIONS of dollars doing it. They had better hope AMD doesn't have anything else planned for this year.

They may be the first X86 with UEFI firmware. Looking at the fact that they are selling 35W Opterons to Sun, 4GHz X2's are NOT out of the question for 65nm.
May 30, 2006 9:19:14 PM

Quote:
It seems you have consistantly posted on the forum here for a while, what else do you do with your free time?

Do the math. My post count amounts to about 2 posts a day on average. Yes, I spend all my free time authoring a whole 2 posts a day.

I'm sure if you had actually bothered to join the forums back in 2000, yours would amount to 10 times that.
May 30, 2006 9:20:47 PM

Ever heard about that concept called "Overclocking" ?

Your arguments no longer stands when you factor in that nifty little trick, getting a thousand dollars worth of performance from a 300$ CPU is nice, regardless, you should compare the price of complete platforms, not just CPU vs CPU, AFAIK, DDR2 and LGA775 mobos cost more than DDR and S939...

Beside, TDP of a 950D is 130W (for a 75% load, totals to 173W under 100% load) while the TDP of an X2 3800+ is 89W (post AM2 S939 X2s have an unofficial 65W TDP under a 100% load, explaining the high overclock of '06 Manchesters when compared to those manufactured in late'ish '05), therefore, given the same cooling system (let's assume a cross platform, mid to high end aftermarket HSF), a lowly X2 3800+ is likely to reach a much higher overclock and better overall performance than that Presler.
May 30, 2006 9:36:44 PM

Quote:

Try to wait until it slows down. It's going pretty fast right now. Intel purposely dropped their prices cause they can barely give away NetBurst chips. It is a bold strategy considering that they will lose BILLIONS of dollars doing it. They had better hope AMD doesn't have anything else planned for this year.

They may be the first X86 with UEFI firmware. Looking at the fact that they are selling 35W Opterons to Sun, 4GHz X2's are NOT out of the question for 65nm.

Thanks for the intelligent reply. I am not much for waiting, impulse control is definately not one of my finer traits. I have $1000 burning a hole in my pocket, and I am starting to see my poor old Winchester chip and AGP slot based video card getting pushed to the wayside. I am willing to go a month or so to wait and see how AM2 and Conroe pans out, that should drive prices even further down since there are less than 10 chips you can buy today for AM2, and none seem to be dual core. This is always a risk buying computer hardware, you never know what the other guy has up his sleeve.
May 30, 2006 9:41:47 PM

I hear you, while the X2 4800+ is a great cpu and is faster than the 950. But talking about the price the 950 has more bang for the buck compare to the X2 4800+. With could all thank part of it because the Core are coming out, one of the reasons the older Intel architecture are going cheap. Dammit my 840 was $500 back when I got it and now it's $350! What a rip off I sure could use the 950 but it is not compatible with my motherboard. Hopefully the X2 4800+ would drop also, but not likely for it is still one of the best cpu especially for gaming. :D 
May 30, 2006 9:52:23 PM

Quote:
Ever heard about that concept called "Overclocking" ?

Your arguments no longer stands when you factor in that nifty little trick, getting a thousand dollars worth of performance from a 300$ CPU is nice, regardless, you should compare the price of complete platforms, not just CPU vs CPU, AFAIK, DDR2 and LGA775 mobos cost more than DDR and S939...

Beside, TDP of a 950D is 130W (for a 75% load, totals to 173W under 100% load) while the TDP of an X2 3800+ is 89W (post AM2 S939 X2s have an unofficial 65W TDP under a 100% load, explaining the high overclock of '06 Manchesters when compared to those manufactured in late'ish '05), therefore, given the same cooling system (let's assume a cross platform, mid to high end aftermarket HSF), a lowly X2 3800+ is likely to reach a much higher overclock and better overall performance than that Presler.

Sure I have heard of overclocking. I ran my old 486 dx100 for a year overclocked until it went up in smoke. You run a CPU beyond spec. You take a chance burning it up, blowing out the pots on your motherboard ETC, I have seen the silicon from the 386 all the way up to our lovely Athlon64's send smoke signals to x86 heaven. Your overclocking arguement does stand true. You do get more bang for the buck by overclocking. You do get less thermal dissapation out of an x2. Let me explain it a little differently. I just bought a 2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide. If I wanted to go faster I could do several things. I could supercharge it, I could purchase a big bore kit, I put a larger intake on it. Those are the add-ons like Corsair XMS or OCZ Memory, the 7900gtx video cards, the WD Raptor drives of the Harley World. If I wanted to go faster, I could of bought a Honda ACE and put Nitros on it. I am not questioning anyone's technical abilities, I am questioning my own sensabilities. AMD and spend more, Honda ACE and spend less and juice it. I will take the Harley any day, and I will run my processor at spec.
May 30, 2006 9:55:15 PM

mpjesse, raven 87, baronmatrix, sidvicious and prozac26 all need to STFU.

Who gives you guys the right to think for others and decided to say that no one cares about the original post. If you don't care, go away, don't post.

raven 87, baronmatrix, sidvicious, prozac26 = the lame AMD defenders who couldn't find many good reasons to turn the table, so they humped on the mpjesse bandwagon and start flaming the post. Obviously, you guys were the fist to care for clicking on to read the post.

Sidvicious, not everyone is overclocking, and when did the TDP for a pentium D reach 173 w?
May 30, 2006 9:58:51 PM

Quote:
I hear you, while the X2 4800+ is a great cpu and is faster than the 950. But talking about the price the 950 has more bang for the buck compare to the X2 4800+. With could all thank part of it because the Core are coming out, one of the reasons the older Intel architecture are going cheap. Dammit my 840 was $500 back when I got it and now it's $350! What a rip off I sure could use the 950 but it is not compatible with my motherboard. Hopefully the X2 4800+ would drop also, but not likely for it is still one of the best cpu especially for gaming. :D 

Yeah, we all suffer from the "dangit it was $xxx when I first bought it and now it is only $XX!" blues. I see the prices of video cards like the 7900gt wich costs less than the 6800gt I bought and cringe. Such is life for those of us that wish to be bleading edge, but our wallets say differently.
May 30, 2006 10:00:06 PM

Quote:

Yeah, we all suffer from the "dangit it was $xxx when I first bought it and now it is only $XX!" blues. I see the prices of video cards like the 7900gt wich costs less than the 6800gt I bought and cringe. Such is life for those of us that wish to be bleading edge, but our wallets say differently.
May 30, 2006 10:00:36 PM

STFU NOOB. NO ONE CARES. Did you join the forum just to say that? 6 posts and ur talking like your a well known member like 9-Inch. Now IF 9-Inch said this i would care. You i do not.
May 30, 2006 10:01:11 PM

Hmm...yeah, the Intels are quite cheap and offer great price/performance for their price range. But isn't Intel losing a lot of money by doing this? I mean, I don't care that they are, it's just that once Conroe comes out, and it becomes performance king, won't the prices go up for Conroe?

Yah, I remember the old days....when one could purchase an AMD for less than an Intel and yet outperform it! Those were the good days....for example my Athlon XP 1800+ outperformed the P4 2.0Ghz!!! I couldn't be happier. I miss those days...:( :( :( 

I plan on upgrading this clunker to a P-D 930/805 or perhaps Conroe...I'm not in a rush ;) 
May 30, 2006 10:07:58 PM

Quote:

Who gives you guys the right to think for others and decided to say that no one cares about the original post. If you don't care, go away, don't post.

raven 87, baronmatrix, sidvicious, prozac26 = the lame AMD defenders who couldn't find many good reasons to turn the table, so they humped on the mpjesse bandwagon and start flaming the post. Obviously, you guys were the fist to care for clicking on to read the post.

Sidvicious, not everyone is overclocking, and when did the TDP for a pentium D reach 173 w?

Everyone here has opinions, its called free speech.

Nobblekitty, heed your own advice and STFU, ya hypecrite. End rant.
May 30, 2006 10:11:23 PM

Quote:
STFU NOOB. NO ONE CARES. Did you join the forum just to say that? 6 posts and ur talking like your a well known member like 9-Inch. Now IF 9-Inch said this i would care. You i do not.

:D  :)  :)  :D  A guy who respect 9mm....WTF???
May 30, 2006 10:11:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the intelligent reply. I am not much for waiting, impulse control is definately not one of my finer traits. I have $1000 burning a hole in my pocket, and I am starting to see my poor old Winchester chip and AGP slot based video card getting pushed to the wayside. I am willing to go a month or so to wait and see how AM2 and Conroe pans out, that should drive prices even further down since there are less than 10 chips you can buy today for AM2, and none seem to be dual core. This is always a risk buying computer hardware, you never know what the other guy has up his sleeve.

Considering that you got some good DDR memory (I <3 Samsung TCCD chips), a decent GPU and a "meh" motherboard (Via chipset, yuck!), you could go for a 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard which supports both AGP & PCI-E and that can be upgrade to Socket AM2 & DDR2 by using a riser card, that will allow you to migrate your memory and GPU while being able to afford a nice Dual Core CPU along with a high end cooling system while benefiting of a long upgrade path.

The alternative would be to get a "BadAxe" mobo and bin all of your core components in favor for a PCI-E GPU and DDR2 memory, it'll cost ya...

@ noblekitty :

Go ahead, feel free to prove me wrong, the TDP values and the overclocking potential of '06 Manchester cores that I stated are facts...
May 30, 2006 10:14:06 PM

I'm amused at the way the author and responders to this thread consider it logical to be loyal to a "for profit" company. Words like "bandwagon" "traitor", connote that this is not about buying a product, its belonging to a team.

Don't you think that's interesting? Why does anyone feel the value of creating a team around who's profit you contribute to? .....its pretty funny if you think about it.

The amazing power of marketing, I suppose.

Why would anyone care what company anyone else buys their parts from?

Bob
May 30, 2006 10:28:20 PM

So you made a thread complaining about AMD's prices, or how you don't like ATI cards? :?

Oh and while you talk about saving $350 to put towards your 7900GTX, you could save money with an X1900 XT and outperform the 7900GTX in all shader intensive titles, and have the ability to use OpenEXR HDR with antialiasing simultaneously.
May 30, 2006 10:29:29 PM

AMD vs intel seems to be a very immotive subject on this forum. Is it possibly people like to root for the underdog.

Any ways sureley some healthy price competition is good for us consumers?

Maybe AMD will look at comments like toosobers and cut prices too.

I think the next few months look quiet exciting (Conroe v AMDs response, & Nvidia 7950gx2 v ATI response)

All inspired by competition.
May 30, 2006 10:32:18 PM

Quote:

noblekitty=1

mpjesse, raven 87, baronmatrix, sidvicious and prozac26=0
May 30, 2006 10:34:40 PM

Quote:

noblekitty=1

mpjesse, raven 87, baronmatrix, sidvicious and prozac26=0
May 30, 2006 10:41:06 PM

Even post from long time members are based on opionion. I must say if you jump ship based on new products so easliy I think Intel and AMD will enjoy your money. Since I know I am new here and that $1000 bucks isn't going to buy you a top of the line PC what is you point. You want to trash your old system with $1000 cash only. Your not going to be at the top. So why not just wait and see what happens. OC your old CPU and GPU and stop getting crazy.
May 30, 2006 10:43:34 PM

Quote:
AMD vs intel seems to be a very immotive subject on this forum. Is it possibly people like to root for the underdog.

Any ways sureley some healthy price competition is good for us consumers?

Maybe AMD will look at comments like toosobers and cut prices too.

I think the next few months look quiet exciting (Conroe v AMDs response, & Nvidia 7950gx2 v ATI response)

All inspired by competition.

Competition is good for us all. It drives down costs, forces innovation, and creates heated posts on the THG Forumz!
May 30, 2006 10:46:27 PM

When did i say i RESPECTED him? I was commenting on 9-inch's SUPER AMDness.
May 30, 2006 10:47:36 PM

Quote:

LOL, you're telling respected members to STFU? I'm surprised you're not banned yet. We're not defending AMD, we're saying n00bs shouldn't post their opinion why they like AMD or Intel.

Say what, - excuse me - let's pretend I'm 9-inch SAY WHAT!
And no matter what 9 inch says, all you see is the CAPS.. Grrr

People- follow your own advice. If you don't care what the N00B says.
Ignore the thread!

I don't agree with jumping off the AMD bandwagon, or any bandwagon.
It should always be, Show me the Beef (performance).

I'm a Noob, and that's my opinion.
May 30, 2006 10:50:15 PM

Quote:
It's not about "jumping ship" or "leaping of bandwagons", it's about getting the best products for your money, regardless what company they are. I still don't get why n00b cry and rant about "changing bandwagons", when the answer is easy.

Exactly
May 30, 2006 10:50:40 PM

The guy bought a Harley for gods sake :roll: Then talks about making it go fast. Umm...that's what sportbikes are for. Or if your an old timer and wanted some comfort there is always the Honda VFR or a BMW.
May 30, 2006 10:54:28 PM

props to OP..i'm going the same route
May 30, 2006 10:54:50 PM

Quote:
The guy bought a Harley for gods sake :roll: Then talks about making it go fast. Umm...that's what sportbikes are for. Or if your an old timer and wanted some comfort there is always the Honda VFR or a BMW.

I failed to mention that I also have one that goes fast, and is comfortable as well, a Yamaha fj1200.
A bike for each mode, one for speed, one for cruising. Just like gamers, they swear by the AMD, and I will give AMD cudos, they are fast. There is always the Dollar and Sense factor. My agurement stands. $350 saved to do the same tasks at roughly the same speed.
May 30, 2006 10:56:53 PM

Quote:
LOL, you're telling respected members to STFU?

Leave 'respected' out of it. Those member are truely a bunch of f*s.
May 30, 2006 11:16:21 PM

Quote:

Considering that you got some good DDR memory (I <3 Samsung TCCD chips), a decent GPU and a "meh" motherboard (Via chipset, yuck!), you could go for a 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard which supports both AGP & PCI-E and that can be upgrade to Socket AM2 & DDR2 by using a riser card, that will allow you to migrate your memory and GPU while being able to afford a nice Dual Core CPU along with a high end cooling system while benefiting of a long upgrade path.

The alternative would be to get a "BadAxe" mobo and bin all of your core components in favor for a PCI-E GPU and DDR2 memory, it'll cost ya...

@ noblekitty :

Go ahead, feel free to prove me wrong, the TDP values and the overclocking potential of '06 Manchester cores that I stated are facts...

I intend to keep the 3500+ running, it will be deligated to the honorable role of file server. My poor old Athlon 2500+ needs retired. My upgrade path include 2 gigs of Corsair XMS ddr2 675 ram, Intel or Asus 955x board, eVGA 7900GTX, and a Antec TPII-550 550W Power Supply.
Again, I am not going to overclock, I would have posted in the overclocking area if I was. I want a solid, speedy system that I can rely on. I have a budget, I work for the state supporting silly users, and sillier hardware, the last thing I want to do is come home to a dead computer.
May 30, 2006 11:24:58 PM

Quote:
My agurement stands. $350 saved to do the same tasks at roughly the same speed.
While you overpay for Nvidia cards that don't perform as well and have less features their ATI counterparts do?
May 30, 2006 11:27:23 PM

Wow. 4000+ posts and you don't even have enough sense to just move along when you should; you just go right in for the flame. I haven't seen 5000 posts on this topic.

Let me think about it and I'll post my thoughts on this subject. Conroe's got everybody worked up.
May 30, 2006 11:34:33 PM

I guess you failed to notice at the begining of this thread I took a pop shot at ATI.
May 30, 2006 11:37:30 PM

Quote:

I try not to talk about people I don't know. You should give it a try. In other words, uummmmm you dumb sh$t I didn't say anything about no tcaring about the post. I told him AMD is doing fine. So you STFU.
May 30, 2006 11:52:22 PM

:o  Is STFU the word for the day. If so, I'm now STFU!
May 30, 2006 11:54:00 PM

who gives a shit...seriously....OOH NO AMD ISNT THE BEST ANYMORE..oh noes!

look no 1 cares you should just be happy faster hardware is comming out. your going to buy intel just because intel is coming out withs omething faster whoodie freaking doo. I have an intel, Northwood never went to AMD my old gateway was an amd, i didnt jump off the band wagon or anything, i just bought the best hardware at the time that i could afford.

Who really cares in a few months amd will have soemthing ut and then you will be like OMG INTEL IS TEH SUCK ect. ect.

So seriously go post on your livejournal and cry to people who give a shit
May 30, 2006 11:55:34 PM

accualy intel can make a netburst processor for about $40, even if they are sold for only 100 its still a mighty high return percent wise. sure netburst may be inferior but frankly if its cheap and it works many would condsider buying it. Even if they were doing badly intel isnt all processors, they do lots of other things. sorry about the grammer im to lazy to correct ATM.
May 31, 2006 12:00:03 AM

Is it just me or are the noobs getting stupider by the day?
May 31, 2006 12:01:46 AM

not realy sure why you posted this, its a statement, and well, like before, its been said. so its not like you would evoke any sort of meaningful conversation.
May 31, 2006 12:04:58 AM

are you refering to me? i dont pretend to know alot of highly technical things such as the atom by atom engineering of a processor, but i have a certain degree of common sense, and i reconize the apparent lack of it, as in said thread.
May 31, 2006 12:11:47 AM

The guy made a statement about stop using AMD after so many years and start using Intel because of cost effective. And he gave some solid proofs to back it up.

These so called "respect members" came in and flame the post because of his statement about AMD. If you think you are a worthy poster, you should reallize that you are off to a bad start, you should reply to his reasonings, not his opinion. I did not attack any members opinions, I only comment on their actions.

For those who claimed to be part of these respected members group because you have a big number on your posting history, if you only get those numbers because you did a lot of replies like STFU, Noobs... ( like auctionman) instead of expressing your technological views..I can train a monkey to do just that. I started to feel like one of them now 8)

Pardon me for being so off topic, but I think toosober is right to pick the D950 over the x2 4800 , money wise. But I am the type of people who just want the fastest, so in the mean while, i will hold on to my overclocked 165.
May 31, 2006 12:30:41 AM

I just love this pc,,,, rotf lmao,,,

IBM 8088 turbo XT @ 7.44 mhz
2 360k floppies
WD 10mb MFM HDD
20mb unknown vendor hard card
CGA graphics adapter
Dallas Fax 9600 baud modem
AOL dial up
MS Dos 3.3
QEMM Memory Manager
XTREE Gold

where did you get that,,, & how the heck you get it on the net? lol
May 31, 2006 12:33:31 AM

Quote:
I just love this pc,,,, rotf lmao,,,

IBM 8088 turbo XT @ 7.44 mhz
2 360k floppies
WD 10mb MFM HDD
20mb unknown vendor hard card
CGA graphics adapter
Dallas Fax 9600 baud modem
AOL dial up
MS Dos 3.3
QEMM Memory Manager
XTREE Gold

where did you get that,,, & how the heck you get it on the net? lol

This is actually the specs of my first "IBM compatable". I use it now as a boat anchor.
May 31, 2006 12:38:52 AM

Quote:
I guess you failed to notice at the begining of this thread I took a pop shot at ATI.
Which is why I said you overpay for Nvidia cards that perform worse and have a lower quality set of features.
May 31, 2006 12:48:19 AM

Quote:
The guy made a statement about stop using AMD after so many years and start using Intel because of cost effective. And he gave some solid proofs to back it up.

These so called "respect members" came in and flame the post because of his statement about AMD. If you think you are a worthy poster, you should reallize that you are off to a bad start, you should reply to his reasonings, not his opinion. I did not attack any members opinions, I only comment on their actions.

For those who claimed to be part of these respected members group because you have a big number on your posting history, if you only get those numbers because you did a lot of replies like STFU, Noobs... ( like auctionman) instead of expressing your technological views..I can train a monkey to do just that. I started to feel like one of them now 8)

Pardon me for being so off topic, but I think toosober is right to pick the D950 over the x2 4800 , money wise. But I am the type of people who just want the fastest, so in the mean while, i will hold on to my overclocked 165.

I see that noblekitty has some sense, and can obviously see the facts in my statements. I find the attempts to flame the newbies sophmoric, and moronic. I state some well founded facts, and some pious opinions, and made a very legit arguement in favor of my position concerning bang for the buck.
Overclocking is fine if that is what you are into, hell I ran my 486 above spec, it blew up, and i ran my celeron 333 @ 450 mhz till it ate it. I learned that a stable computer is one that is ran at spec. I am no stranger to overclocking. Tinkering and tweeking is fine if that is your hobby, I been there done that.
I like a fast and stable computer, as I said before, I support a bunch of weenies and crappy hardware for work, I don't need unreliability and instability at home.
!