Sign in with
Your question

Computer freeze, now won't POST. Please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 30, 2006 9:47:00 PM

My computer froze, forcing me to do a hard shutdown. Now when I press the power button, everything lights up, hard drive spins up, but no POST.

I've made no changes to my hardware configuation in the past six months or so -- this has been totally stable computer for ages...

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to provide!

Pentium 4 3.06
P4t533-C mobo

More about : computer freeze post

June 1, 2006 1:26:01 PM

What are your full system specs? PSU etc
June 1, 2006 2:42:44 PM

A dead GPU?
Related resources
June 1, 2006 7:17:10 PM

Thank you for the replies. I don't think it's the GPU - tried starting with it removed - still no POST. Tried attaching a different hard drive with a working OS - still no POST.

Ultraviolet - I'll check the rest of my specs when I'm home this evening. I believe these are correct:

Antec 350w PSU
1G RDRAM PC1066
EVGA 6800 Ultra

Is there a specific component you suspect?

Thanks much.
June 2, 2006 11:31:57 AM

Yes i think this could be a PSU problem. ASUS mobo's are renound for not working with many PSU's, especially thoughs of a lower watage. I had the exact same issue, where it would start then turn off almost instantly. Although i was using a 500w Seasonic PSU my mobo (see below) would not start. After sending my mobo back and testing all other things, eventually found out that it was a PSU issue. Got me a new Tagan (see below) and it workes like a charm.

My advice: either get a Tagan, as i know they work - but many other PSU's will work, or phone ASUS - or who you bought your mobo from and ask them to recommend a PSU that is compatible with your specific mobo.

Good luck!
June 2, 2006 12:40:52 PM

So the screen remains blank when you power up? What were you doing when the computer froze up? If you have a multimeter, test the voltages on your PSU. Verify that all power cables are properly seated.
June 2, 2006 2:21:00 PM

Quote:
My computer froze, forcing me to do a hard shutdown. Now when I press the power button, everything lights up, hard drive spins up, but no POST.

I've made no changes to my hardware configuation in the past six months or so -- this has been totally stable computer for ages...

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to provide!

Pentium 4 3.06
P4t533-C mobo

I think maybe you guys/gals maybe missed the point ,he did say that it lights up but won't post.???
So may be it could be something as simple as a loose vid card or power connection,furthermore an Antec 350W should be plenty for this system..
Shimme, do check all connections,same thing happened here once or twice,and it was a loose vid card,as in not properly seated,maybe there are dust bunnies[elephants]where theyre not supposed to be,try another vid card,test the psu with a meter........Dosen't sound that serious,and if it were the psu,it would'nt boot at all,no lights nothing....Be Well....
June 2, 2006 3:41:28 PM

Thanks again for the replies folks. I'll try reseating & cleaning the dust of everything -- it'd be great if that was it. I doubt it's the PSU as it's been running fine for years, and as Dokk mentioned, everything is getting power. That's the weird part, really, that everything lights up, the hard drive revs up, everything is normal, then.... no beeps, no POST, blank screen, nothing. The hard drive indicator remains on.
June 2, 2006 4:11:26 PM

Are you hearing any beeps? Does your MOBO has any diagnostic LEDs?

If so check both of these and read your MOBO manual to see any pre post errors that might have occurred.
June 2, 2006 5:37:49 PM

My mobo usually beeps once, and then it has a audio diagnostic rather than diagnostic lights. I'm getting no beeps and no audio diagnostic -- just system lights (power, hard drive, internet connection).
!