Is It Dangerous To Overclock a Laptop?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Good lord. Imagine if the kid had the PC on his lap. And I thought my dad's P4 laptop ran hot! At least it's a P4 Northy, not a PresHOT. Apple makes great software, and designs great-looking and performing products, but they have no idea what they're doing in terms of cooling.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
I don't know if you want serious reply's, or just joking around
with the photo. My son has an alienware laptop. Heat is a major
problem, as it will shut down if he does any heavy gaming.

We experimented with cooling packs that the laptopp sits on, but he burnt two of them out so far. The laptap is big and heavy, consequently, the cooling pack fans start rubbing on the cage, and then the friction causes
premature failure. Normally, he raises the backend up using some type
of blocks, and then he uses two 3.5 inch stand-alone fans (from target)
pointed downward underneath the laptop.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Good lord. Imagine if the kid had the PC on his lap. And I thought my dad's P4 laptop ran hot! At least it's a P4 Northy, not a PresHOT. Apple makes great software, and designs great-looking and performing products, but they have no idea what they're doing in terms of cooling.
Rather, you could read the article, and realise it's nothing whatsoever to do with the internal cooling.

Sure, there are pretty pictures, but those tiresome squiggles underneath are often worth checking out too.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The article talks a lot about batteries but slyly slips in that the laptop fire wasn't caused by a defective battery.

The most likely cause was that it was sitting on the carpet, with the vents blocked. And that could have got the battery hot enough to "gas out" and cause a fire.

Had the thing been sitting in the kids lap to begin with, such an incident wouldn't occur.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
The article talks a lot about batteries but slyly slips in that the laptop fire wasn't caused by a defective battery.

The most likely cause was that it was sitting on the carpet, with the vents blocked. And that could have got the battery hot enough to "gas out" and cause a fire.

Had the thing been sitting in the kids lap to begin with, such an incident wouldn't occur.

Very true and also if it was in his lap I think he would have removed it before it caught on fire (that would feel kinda hot in all the wrong ways...) At any rate I dont think they can work this one into one of those apple comercials :p hehehe

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Everything is going downhill for Apples.

They forgot to mention the overheating caused by excessive thermal paste with Apple's new iBook.

New iBook? Would you care to share this new iBook with us all?

And downhill for Apple? The new Intel Macs are almost as important a development to Apple as the iMac was in the late 90s. How can you say they're going downhill?

As for anyone who says Apple don't have a clue about cooling, save some of the G4 PowerMacs and Cubes I haven't heard a whisper out of any of the more recent Macs I've used.

The iBook and PowerBook both say in the manual to keep the underside vented to avoid any heat issues.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Yes, it was. It's an iBook G4.

My partner had to return her battery under this program. It is a well known issue, and has been for at least 3 years.

What the article does 'slyly slip in' is the fact that MacBook batteries are not recalled, and the 'Magsafe' connector fires are unrelated to the batteries in said products.

Typical ****ty sensationalist journalism from Tuan & DailyTech.

TRENDING THREADS