Does Anyone use FSAutoStart by Ken Salter

Does anyone use this and if so what services are you shutting down?

FSAutoStart, a popular utility for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator
to maximize system performance, has now been released in a new version.
It is a utility not just for Flight Simulator users, but for users of
any application that needs as much resources your computer can offer.

FSAutoStart allows the user the ability to automatically shutdown
services and programs to provide as much resources to running today's
most demanding applications and games.

It also provides the ability to launch selected programs before the
application is launched. Lastly, it can automatically restart those
programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer
back to its original state.

It also adds some performance enhancing options like Defragment Memory.

How To Use:

· Execute FSAutoStart. The main window will appear and the default
profile will be selected.
· Click on the Services Button. This will display a list of all
services on your computer. Not available on Windows 9x/ME systems.
· Select the services you wish to stop. Click in the action column to
display a drop down list of actions. Available actions are "No
Action", "Stop", and "Stop & Restart". "No Action" will
do nothing. "Stop" will stop the service. "Stop and Restart"
will stop the service, then restart it after the main application has
finished. Click Save to save your settings.
· Click on the Programs Button. This will display a list of all
programs currently running on your computer.
· Select the programs you wish to stop. Click in the action column to
display a drop down list of actions. Available actions are "No
Action", "Stop", and "Stop & Restart". "No Action" will
do nothing. "Stop" will stop the program. "Stop and Restart"
will stop the program, then restart it after the main application has
finished. Click Save to save your settings.
· Click on the Configure button. This will display the configuration
window for FSAutoStart
· Make sure that the path to the application you wish to run is
correct. If it is not, click on the Browse button to find the
application executable.
· You can optionally enter a command line for the application, and set
the priority that the application will run.
· You select to defragment memory before the application is started by
selecting the Defragment Memory check box.
· On XP systems, you can choose for Force Idle Tasks to Execute by
checking the Force Idle Tasks check box (this is disabled on non-XP
systems)
· If you would like to automatically start any software before the
application starts, click on the Add button. You can then browse to the
executable of the program you wish to execute. You may then add any
command line arguments the program may require. Click Save to save your
settings.
· Click Start to begin shutting down services and programs and launch
the application. After clicking start, FSAutoStart will be terminated
and fsasctl (FSAutoStart Control) will start.
· At this point, the process becomes completely automated
· You can create as many configurations as you want by using the
File->New menu option. Select to create a blank configuration or a copy
of the currently loaded configuration. Then browse to the location
where you want your file to reside. All of your profiles will be
available in the list on the main window.

Thanks,
Chris
9 answers Last reply
More about does fsautostart salter

    Hi Chris,
    Everyone's PC is different in it's set-up and needed services, etc. To check
    out what is appropriate for you look at http://www.blackviper.com/.

    Hope it helps.

    Rich

    "Dude" <chris.holub@gmail.com> wrote in message
    Does anyone use this and if so what services are you shutting down?

    FSAutoStart, a popular utility for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator
    to maximize system performance, has now been released in a new version.
    It is a utility not just for Flight Simulator users, but for users of
    any application that needs as much resources your computer can offer.

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Everyone talks about using a utility to disable unneccessary processes, but
    with a lot of users running systems with 512-1Gb+ of ram is there really any
    benefit in gaining maybe 10mb of free memory. I try to run FS after a fresh
    boot so that most processes are using little memory.

    Ibby

[...]

    Thanks to all who reponded. I am very familiar with what services are
    and how to see what each one does. and have been to blackvipers web
    site beofore and seen his list of services. I guess I should have said
    I am a network admin and have several years exp in the field. I guess
    what I was looking for and I will google for it later will be someone
    who knows what is the basic set of services you need for online
    gamming. So you can maximise your PC's CPU & RAM. Im running a Athlon
    XP 2800+ and a Gig of PC3200 Geil RAM.

    Dude, you're free to reject my advice about using the service
    recommendations in the FSAutoStart program, but they ARE what you seek.

    Dude, David's answer is exactly what you are looking for. read
    carefully. The FsAutostart utility has a short recommendation notice
    that tell's you exactly what the specific service does, don't need to
    google each service.

    The FSAutostart Author already researched this for you and you have the
    recommendations within the utlity itself.

    Sorry man didnt mean to offend. I did overlook that. :) Please forgive
    me and my ignorance.

    Chris

    No offense taken. The Dude abides.*

    * I'm sure the Dude caught that one. For the rest of you, see "The Big
    Lebowski."

    Arthur, I have *never* had XP tell me it is low on resource whether I had
    512Mb or 1Gb of RAM and XP certainly manages memory much better than 98 used
    to. I wonder whether you have something else happening on your machine? :0))

    Iain

    "Arthur Dent" <arthurdent@magrathea.com> wrote in message
    >I have found that since I upgraded from 1/2 Gig Ram to a full gig that my
    >PC complains it is running low in resources a damn sight more than it did
    >before. No other changes have been made so I conclude that XP is a Ramhog.

    On the low resources issue, perhaps it would be helpful if someone
    knowledgeable could review the recommended settings for virtual memory?
    If he sets that correctly, I'm guessing his problem will be solved.

Microsoft Video Games