Where can I find a chart for maxiumum CPU tempuratures?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I have a friend who thinks her Athlon XP is overheating.

I tried searching AMD's site for the maximum operational CPU temps for various models but have yet to find anything solid.

I did find one page which quoted 90C for XP models below 2100, hers is an XP 1500 running at 82C. I am not sure if the 90 number is when the CPU quits working or when it fries.

1) Is that hot enough for the system to fail to boot XP.

2) Does anyone have links to charts showing the maxium allowable temperatures for the various AMD and Intel processor I would greatly appreciate it.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I don't think there's a chart that lists cpu's max operating temps. One thing I know is that anything over 65c AMD or Intel is not good. Im sure cpu could run higher than 65c but over that the cpu's performance is negatively affected. But then again I have no proof of that, but one thing Im sure of is that more heat means less peformance in semiconductors. So that said "rule of thumb" anything abover 65c is not good. :D

furbag

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Pretty well regardless of the temperature any processor is running at, a rule of thumb is that for every 10 deg. c increse in temp, the life span of the component is cut in half. Reseat your cpu heat sync with Arctic Silver thermal paste and add a blow hole with fan at the top of the case if possible. Hope this helps!

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.gen-x-pc.com/cputemps.htm

I finally found a mostly complete chart.

The new Athlon 64s are not supposed to run over 65C, but my friends XP 1600 1.4ghz can handle up to 90C

The remembered the numbers for the Socket A's as being lower because the early Socket A's didn't have an on die thermal sensor.

The external temp can be 30-40C lower than the on die temp reported by modern CPU's. At least for a short period.

---
BTW I dusted all the heatsinks and fans and it still overheats and shutsdown.

Sandra and the motherboard monitor I am using can't seem to agree on the temperature reading or what reading goes with one device.

All the fans sound, look and feel like they are working normally and the CPU fan is reporting the right RPMs.

I will probably just see what happens when I replace all the fans, including the one cooling the northbridge.

---

BTW does artic silver ever go bad and need reapplying?

furbag

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Unless you installed the heat sync yourself, for all you know there could be a thermal pad or just too much paste. You only need a very thin layer. If your mobo supports it, the bios will give you the most accurate temp readings.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Oh, I should say that Motherboard Monitor can sometimes be bad (for some reason, it made my CPU WORK HARDER than my ASUS Probe). If possible, see if you can get ASUS Probe as it may put less stress on the CPU, though at those temps, it'll probably die soon.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks, that chart has everything. I got it downloaded and bookmarked.

Plus now I know searching for "thermal and electrical specification of" at AMD will probably yield results for other CPU families as well.