Please recommend a BUDGET video card for this setup

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2006 1:03:51 AM

Hello,
I am not too sure where to go with this since i personally dont' know much and tried searching, but get A LOT of different answers. I am trying to find an upgrade to my video card since i believe it may be choking my system. THis is what I currently have:
Dell 8200 400 Mhz FSB 2.4 Ghz
768 MB 40 ns RDRAM
Nvidia Gforce4 4200 video card
160 Gb 7200 rpm

I play a decent amount of Everquest 2 and I recently installed a Logitech MX5000 bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I found that I need to shut basically everything unnecessary down when I play a game in order to make it playable. I even notice that my mouse will lag a good 1-2 seconds behind my movements in very intensive gaming or even just regualr web surfing!!!

I assume this could be the lack of memory or even my video card, but RDRAM is just so expensive I was hoping a sub $100 video card might help me out a bit. Is that the correct route to go? Should I be looking at something else? ARGGGHHH, i just looked in my device manager and it looks like I have my video card in a PCI slot. Hopefully have have an AGP slot, but I haven't opened up the case to look. Anyone know offhand? Am I just screwed? ANY, and I mean ANY, help would be greatly appreciated!! :) 

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

More about : recommend budget video card setup

May 31, 2006 1:32:21 AM

Oh and, yes, more RAM would be very useful but you can also try reformatting and doing a clean install of Windows since quite often a system is bogged down by junk piling up in the registry, extremely fragmented files on the HDD etc. etc. Basically the more you use your PC the slower it gets unless you do some maintainance regularly
Related resources
May 31, 2006 2:08:19 AM

Quote:
Oh and, yes, more RAM would be very useful but you can also try reformatting and doing a clean install of Windows since quite often a system is bogged down by junk piling up in the registry, extremely fragmented files on the HDD etc. etc. Basically the more you use your PC the slower it gets unless you do some maintainance regularly

Uprading that RDRAM will be so expensive that it will make more sense to get a new PC. In the meantime, format the hard drive and do a Windows reinstall.
May 31, 2006 2:26:22 AM

Yeah, i have already reformatted with a fresh install of XP pro, but it really wasn't affected that much. I try to keep the computer as clean as I can and am constantly checking the registry for unwanted additions.

After reading up a little more, i may just consider waiting a few months and making a new system when Conroe is available. Unfortunately, I am a complete noob when it comes to building a system so it'll take me a while. At least I understand how to change out system parts and play around in the bois, but I bet I can have fun screwing thing up as welL!! :) 
May 31, 2006 2:55:14 AM

I just got an x800 GTo in my dell 4550. I know that has only ddr ram and an agp slot i don't know what mobo you have. But the x800 is a great card for older systems!!
May 31, 2006 2:55:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah, i have already reformatted with a fresh install of XP pro, but it really wasn't affected that much. I try to keep the computer as clean as I can and am constantly checking the registry for unwanted additions.

After reading up a little more, i may just consider waiting a few months and making a new system when Conroe is available. Unfortunately, I am a complete noob when it comes to building a system so it'll take me a while. At least I understand how to change out system parts and play around in the bois, but I bet I can have fun screwing thing up as welL!! :) 

Read this guide
May 31, 2006 3:06:05 AM

i think in this case the X700 would be better
May 31, 2006 3:25:31 AM

I think I need to open up my case and see what I have. On 'system information' it says my ti 4200 is attached to a PCI slot, but on 3Dmark03 it says I have one AGP slot which the ti4200 is attached to. Hmm....maybe I do have an AGP slot and i am not as screwed as I thought?
May 31, 2006 3:28:02 AM

it's probably agp. as far as i know, agp is somewhat pci related, but i'm not sure how.
but the best way is to open your case and see it
May 31, 2006 3:59:53 AM

I got a BFG 6600 GT OC agp card and it's a great card. It might be a little to expensive for what you want, but I highly recommend you look at it.
May 31, 2006 3:05:44 PM

Good AGP cards around $100 are the 6600 and X1300.
!