Sign in with
Your question

Need help with laptop

Last response: in CPUs
May 31, 2006 3:15:41 AM

i bought a Acer laptop last year with a AMD sempron 2800+ processor and 256 mb ddr ram. can somebody pl tell me if it is possible to change the processor to a athlon or similar one and replace the ram with a 1 gb ddr2 ram in the same laptop. 8)

i am a computer newbie and dont understand the concepts very throughly.

swapnil

More about : laptop

May 31, 2006 3:21:01 AM

Quote:
i bought a Acer laptop last year with a AMD sempron 2800+ processor and 256 mb ddr ram. can somebody pl tell me if it is possible to change the processor to a athlon or similar one and replace the ram with a 1 gb ddr2 ram in the same laptop. 8)

swapnil

You can not use ddr2 ram in your laptop, it takes ddr ram. I would suggest maxing it out to 2 gigs, with 2 1 gig pieces of 240pin sodimm pc400 ddr ram. The cpu is a socket 754, I am not sure if i would spend money on the cpu, just spend it on the ram.
May 31, 2006 4:49:08 AM

Swapnil, Do you have an "Acer Aspire AS3002...." notebook?

You are looking for “200-pin sodimm, DDR400 (PC3200)” notebook memory.
Or,
Your system came with “200-pin sodimm, DDR333 (PC2700)” notebook memory (most likely).

Both will work.

Crucial provides a list of compatible memory;

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProduc...

DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.5V

NewEgg, or another derivative will offer brand choices.

You have 2 slots. A 256mb card is currently in one slot. Adding a 1 gig card to the empty slot would, most likely, substantially fulfill main stream uses for your current rig.

There are good arguments to matching brands and timings. A simple solution would be to take a small screwdriver, remove the memory cover, and copy down the brand and specifications of your current memory.
Related resources
May 31, 2006 5:57:37 AM

thanks

i went to the site and its really nice. will see which one is available here in india.

is there any way i can upgrade my cpu too!!!

thanks once again

swapnil
May 31, 2006 6:34:52 AM

Quote:

swapnil

Yeah, about the only thing you can really do at this point is just take the RAM to it's full potential. Depending on what type of socket or processor it is, they are either soldered directly to the board or they're like a zif socket where you can change the processor. You've already got a good processor in there so taking the RAM up to 2 Gigs will certainly help.
!