Pop up adverts

Hi
I have Google toolbar on internet explorer but i still
get popup advert how can i prevent this.
4 answers Last reply
More about adverts

    While the Google Toolbar does a fairly decent jog it is certainly not 100%
    effective. You might want to look into getting a popup blocker that enables
    you to have more control. EMS Freesufer is a decent freeware option
    http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Sinan" <sinan9@hotmail.com>
    wrote in news:036201c4a022$593a1f10$a401280a@phx.gbl:
    > Hi
    > I have Google toolbar on internet explorer but i still
    > get popup advert how can i prevent this.

    PopUpCop
    http://www.popupcop.com/

    Sinan wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have Google toolbar on internet explorer but i still
    > get popup advert how can i prevent this.

    There are at least three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions
    vary accordingly. Which specific type(s) is troubling you?

    1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
    Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
    from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
    http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
    to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker.

    3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
    KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
    understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
    quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
    possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
    against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
    manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    "Sinan" <sinan9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have Google toolbar on internet explorer but i still
    > get popup advert how can i prevent this.

    Sinan,

    Have you installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP?
    It includes a new pop up blocker built into Internet Explorer.
    see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Sinan" <sinan9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have Google toolbar on internet explorer but i still
    > get popup advert how can i prevent this.

Internet Explorer Google Microsoft Windows XP