Nevermind, wrong place to ask this question.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
My friend PC overheated today.

Athlon XP 1600 1.4 Ghz 266 mhz FSB on die thermal sensor. AMD specs the maxium operational temp at 90C.

MB Soyo KT400 Platinum with a burn out Floppy Controller, and its on its 2nd NB Fan, but otherwise functional.

Silent Case Fans, Silent CPU Heatsink (80mm 2600 RPMs). I installed the fans and heatsink 12-18 months ago, I think durring the winter. It passed 2 days burn in, memtest 86 Prime 95, I day Sandra Brun in. Also the system survived at least one summer in a non-airconditioned house with zero problems.

Anyway back to todays problem.

It was in a 90+ F room and the intake fan filter was clogged with dust, as well as the heatsinks. Thermal protection was set in BIOS to go off at 85 C.

They drop it off (my place was also 90+ F) , I use about half a can of compressed air, clean the filter ect. It boots fine. I run Sanda Burn in Wizzard the CPU the system still overheats after 30 minutes!

I dust again this time removing all the heatsink fans to do a more through job, remove the intake air filter, keep the cover off and change the cuttoff temp to 90C. This time the CPU stays arround 72 C on die, 50C external.

I stop to find out the thermal specs for this processor and then try the tests again with the cover on and the filter in place.

But by now the room temp is 77 F and I can't get the on die temp above 70C with the case on and the filter in place.

I check the forecast and the weather is going to be mild for the forseeable future.

So I am going to have no clue what is going to happen when the system is run at 100% in a 90 F room with the case on.

On the other hand it only sees office use and the only time the CPU closest the CPU gets near 100% is durring 15 min True Image backups.

----
Questions.

1) How hot is too hot for this particular CPU? Anyone know what is a "normal" temp for 100% load?

2) Is there anything wrong with just raising the thermal cuttoff to 90C and letting the CPU run hot if the system can still pass all stability/burn in tests in 90F weather?

3) Should I even care if the system can run at 100% for hours at a time durring 90 F weather, when it only used as a office PC?

4) Does Artic Silver III ever go bad (dry, shrink, crack...) and need reapplication?

5) Does anyone think I should put in a noisy heatsink/case fans just to be safe?

BTW

When they chose it fix their old PC the plan was to use this system last as long as possible then rebuild with a all new MB/CPU/RAM/PSU. So I really want to avoid having them waste any money into this somewhat crappy system.

Currently everything gets backed up to a 2nd partition once a week and then to DVD once a month. But important business papers all exist in print form and they are not the least bit alarmed at the prospect of having to restore to a month old backup if their system fails.

They are designed to run up to 90c
but in most cases they do not go much over 60.
I would say maybe it is a good idea to try to re-seat the HSF with new compound(maybe it got knocked at one time). As far as i know AS5 does not try crack and so on....but its worth a shot if u have some.

As u said its old.... u don't want to waste money.... burn i to the ground.... its aways an option

I think re-seating the HSF is the best option

Hope this helps

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I was tired, I just realize I was posting in the motherboard rather than the CPU or Cooling sections.

I slapped on a 7000 RPM fan I had laying arround, tested it for a few hours at 100% load in 95+F and when it only reached 81C I decalred the problem solved.

I will look into remounting the heatsink latter.