merrick97

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2005
Hi, Im getting ready to reformat my computer, I have an XP cd that is slipstreamed with SP2 but I wanted to know if there is a way to get all of the recent critical updates so I can have them all installed before I hook up the internet?

I dont trust that site called autopatcher, because it seems like that site is more for people who dont have legit copies of windows XP.

Does anyone have ANY advice?

Thanks

johnjailbait

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
screw windows get linux its free and dont have to worry about the gay windows validation shit. linux is uber and no crashes like windows

linux_0

Splendid
screw windows get linux its free and dont have to worry about the gay windows validation ****. linux is uber and no crashes like windows
True, Microsoft wants to make money, not make good products. For gaming, I don't think Linux is the way to go.

Yes indeed :-D

You have options even for gaming with Linux, but it's true XP is easier to use for recent windoze games.

Old windoze games oftentimes run better on Linux, *BSD or Unix.

I still have some great games I can no longer play because XP broke compatibility :cry: :cry:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I do love linux, and it is very stable. However I also think XP by MS has been a stable OS for... at least me. My dad however, just finds stuff for me to fix on his XP :roll:

I haven't had ONE problem with my XP system.

My copy of MS was brought from Bestbuy (Upgrade to Home Edition) and it was installed way back to somewhere of the year of 2002-2003. I've never had to reinstall it.

I also should say, I don't run an anti-virus program, I am behind a router with a dummy firewall, with XP firewall, with other systems running on the private network of mine.

I have installed programs to clean my system, just to be sure I didn't have any malicious software installed from just simple browsing the internet, which I never found anything. The thing I mostly try to avoid using... Active X by MS.

One thing I think people should try to learn, is how to prevent getting crap installed on MS systems. But, people love to install stuff on their machines that they can't seem to live without.

Just my 2 cents.

linux_0

Splendid
I do love linux, and it is very stable. However I also think XP by MS has been a stable OS for... at least me. My dad however, just finds stuff for me to fix on his XP :roll:

I haven't had ONE problem with my XP system.

My copy of MS was brought from Bestbuy (Upgrade to Home Edition) and it was installed way back to somewhere of the year of 2002-2003. I've never had to reinstall it.

I also should say, I don't run an anti-virus program, I am behind a router with a dummy firewall, with XP firewall, with other systems running on the private network of mine.

I have installed programs to clean my system, just to be sure I didn't have any malicious software installed from just simple browsing the internet, which I never found anything. The thing I mostly try to avoid using... Active X by MS.

One thing I think people should try to learn, is how to prevent getting crap installed on MS systems. But, people love to install stuff on their machines that they can't seem to live without.

Just my 2 cents.

I've had major problems with xp @home and @work and I have many friends that have had serious problems.

I guess you're one of the few lucky ppl that aren't having issues. :)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well... I wouldn't say I was lucky (though I think lady luck is on my side for now), but just an informed person that had a chance against people who want to mess up my XP. :wink:

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Ignoring the windows vs Linux debate, I shouldn't worry about connecting to the internet to get the updates if you only connect to the Microsoft site.

Just don't go looking at p0rn until you've got all your security up-to-date!

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
returning to the windows vs linux debat.. is linux able to play the newest games? cause if it is, you can save alot of money on that account.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i thought so :wink:

but how big is the diference betwen xp home and xp pro?
you could save a little money there, if home is good enough

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Home works fine for me. But I only use my PC for gaming, email and internet and a bit of Word and Excel.

An OEM copy of XP Home costs £50, which I think isn't unreasonable.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
XP Pro is more designed the business world, and has more security features. Though it still can be used as a very good OS for home users for gamers.