shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Neither.. the XTX is a total waste of money. Get the 1900XT.. save yourself $50-60 and overclock the XT to the XTX speed for a marginial (yes marginal) speed gain.

Unless you are doing large drive writes or other drive intensive operations there is no reason to go RAID at all. If you want speed, get one Raptor for your OS/Apps and a 7200RPM drive at like 300GB for everything else.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
How about picking one of the two options. I don't want to be a dick but really... Come on.

When you post on the board, you have to new open to different suggestions that might not be exactly what your orginial choice was. I am going to point out the option that gives you the most performance for your dollar and neither one of those options did it. RAID has no failsafe and a 3-way point of failure (either drive or the controller). So if you are not doing such operations that RAID benefits, it does not make much sense to put yourself in that situation.

As for the video card, ATI used the XT in Crossfire boards for a reason. Look at the benchmarks if you want, the XTX is pointless.

But FINE if you want me to choose.. Option 1 i guess.. but still.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Thanks, but 50 bucks is not really going to make a difference if i actually ever get this thing, ie if I manage to sell my pc. Oh and just so you know x1900xtx has a way better resale than an x1900. Just like x850xt pe is much more still than an x850. I have made my descision so other options will be pointless cause I have made up my mind i need to get things that can actually be delivered to my country and i have ruled out basically everything else.
Thanks. Sorry if i was being a bastard but I just found out that newegg does not deliver overseas so my idea has just gone down the tubes. Is there any point in getting the DFI CFX3200 if i am only getting a single card.

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
await... are you saying that both of your choices are not good anymore?

if it still is good for opinions: get the xtx and 2 raptors! go go go!... crossfire will enhance performance, but wasting 700$ to see a couple of fps increase? i dont think so...

if not: it all depends if you wanna crossfire later on, ie... 1 or 2 years after with your card that ur getting. if u never plan to do so, then theres no point. but if you don't know, its better to be prepared than anything else!

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
South Africa, where one card costs as much as two over there. And even if i mange to sell my pc i still don't know if i will be able to get my new one, I was planning to get a crossfire motherboard and then upgrade by buying a master card, but i really don't know it does cut my cost down to $1600 if i leave the crossfire and i do see that you only get a few frames extra. I just hate buying budget, if you are going to get something you might as well get the best you can. But a 7200 rpm hdd is just not good enough, and a 10000 rpm is just not fast enough so i might just leave the crossfire master card and get an 80 gig 10000 rpm, cause i have trouble filling my hard drive as it is, i just like pushing delete too much, so staying at 80 will be fine.

Oh and about the RAM , should i get Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model, is it worth getting such fast ram? And will it affect my clock speed? Sorry, still got no clue how RAM works nowadays. It was so much simpler when you bought a 486. Will be using a DFI Lanparty UT CFX3200-DR.