Ultimate Terrain Question Please

For those using Ultimate Terrain when you can find a moment or two;

I have to keep my system fairly clean and frame rate friendly for the
testing I do with add on's, but like everyone else, I do enjoy having the
sim look as real as possible without screwing things up frame rate wise.
Toward this end, I usually keep the scenery add on's to a minimum and just
accept the default scenery with the exception of something like the Reading
Airport scenery that I have as additional.
I'm looking at this Ultimate Terrain with some interest. Presently, I do
have the Genesis USA landclass installed, as it perks up the local "look" a
bit. I like this program because it's so frame rate friendly for the visual
upgrade I get.
Can someone who is using the Ultimate Terrain give me some feedback on it?
What I need to know is how much it actually gives me in return for the frame
rate hit I'll take. How much better than the default scenery is it REALLY?
Have they solved the water running uphill and the roads running across the
rivers where no bridges exist issues with this new program? Does the scenery
blur at low altitudes??????
Should I uninstall the Genesis landclass if I get the Ultimate Terrain?
I realize I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'd really like to have a
handle on what to expect before I jump into this program.
Generally, aside from these questions which are very important to me, any
feedback will be appreciated.
Much Thanks,
Dudley
12 answers Last reply
More about ultimate terrain question please

    >For those using Ultimate Terrain when you can find a moment or two;

    Sure thing ;-)

    >I have to keep my system fairly clean and frame rate friendly for the
    >testing I do with add on's, but like everyone else, I do enjoy having the
    >sim look as real as possible without screwing things up frame rate wise.
    >Toward this end, I usually keep the scenery add on's to a minimum and just
    >accept the default scenery with the exception of something like the Reading
    >Airport scenery that I have as additional.

    I have several renamed copy of the fs9.exe file: fs9_low_and_slow,
    fs9_high_and_fast, fs9_test that all create a different corresponding
    fs9.cfg file. Then I set the options differently for each and just
    click on one shortcut...

    For the scenery I use scm2004 to quickly choose a specific set (file
    is on avsim or flightsim)

    >I'm looking at this Ultimate Terrain with some interest. Presently, I do
    >have the Genesis USA landclass installed, as it perks up the local "look" a
    >bit. I like this program because it's so frame rate friendly for the visual
    >upgrade I get.
    >Can someone who is using the Ultimate Terrain give me some feedback on it?
    >What I need to know is how much it actually gives me in return for the frame
    >rate hit I'll take. How much better than the default scenery is it REALLY?
    >Have they solved the water running uphill and the roads running across the
    >rivers where no bridges exist issues with this new program? Does the scenery
    >blur at low altitudes??????

    The difference is astounding and apart from selecting either all roads
    instead of main ones or the night lightning in heavily urban areas
    there is no frame rate hit, only longer loading time in some areas. I
    know I couldn't fly without it now...

    >Should I uninstall the Genesis landclass if I get the Ultimate Terrain?

    Absolutely not, they complement each other perfectly and Justin
    "FSGenesis" has updated some files *for* Ultimate Terrain. FSGenesis
    USA landclass works fine with UT and there is even a special patch for
    it as well if you want to apply all layers for the best look possible
    (UT landclass for areas not covered by FSG under the FSG landclass and
    on top a special transparent layer of UT better urban landclass - see
    forum below for details)

    >I realize I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'd really like to have a
    >handle on what to expect before I jump into this program.
    >Generally, aside from these questions which are very important to me, any
    >feedback will be appreciated.

    Just mind that you have broadband and use the Flight1 Download
    Utility, this is one whooping big file, you will have to add both
    updates 1.1 and 1.2 afterwards. There are compatibility updates for
    some add-ons such as Misty Fjords, Alaska Cinematics and Holger's
    freeware sceneries. Also take the time to visit the forum at
    www.simforums.com

    ===
    All the best!
    Katy Pluta

    "Dudley Henriques"
    > For those using Ultimate Terrain when you can find a moment or two;

    Ok... in return for the roll lesson:

    >How much better than the default scenery is it REALLY?

    In reality, it's really not a product to improve the scenery in the
    traditional sense. It's basically just 2 major things:

    1) Roads and Railroads.
    2) Accurate coastlines.

    The minor additions are an improvement in night lighting and a small bit of
    landclass for the cities.

    Despite the fact that the roads look spray painted on top of the landclass,
    it adds to the feeling that a civilization might exist down below. You can
    see the freeways for VFR flight... and you can find your street. New roads
    appear everywhere they didn't use to be. These roads produce a fantastic
    effect for night flying. It's a good thing.

    The coastlines are a big deal too because they make lakes look far more
    realistic. Oceanic coastlines become complex and interesting. Both of
    these effect the sim in very positive ways.

    Frame rate hit... subjectively speaking, I have not noticed any. I did
    notice a substantial increase in scenery load times - 50-100% longer, but
    not a deal breaker.

    I believe the author actually encourages FSGenesis mesh to make things match
    up better. He flattens the major highways and that removes a lot of
    erroneous abnormalities from the default.

    So, it's not so much a scenery thing... I believe UTUSA in combination with
    the upcoming Birds Eye View textures will complete the total package.

    Dallas

    Many thanks. This puts things in a perspective I can understand.
    Now.....after you master those barrel rolls; we'll get you started on Sesame
    rolls......and Kaiser rolls....and my all time favoirite.......the famous
    Parker House roll!!!
    :-))
    Dudley

    > "Dudley Henriques"
    >> For those using Ultimate Terrain when you can find a moment or two;
    >
    > Ok... in return for the roll lesson:
    >
    >>How much better than the default scenery is it REALLY?
    >
    > In reality, it's really not a product to improve the scenery in the
    > traditional sense. It's basically just 2 major things:
    >
    > 1) Roads and Railroads.
    > 2) Accurate coastlines.
    >
    > The minor additions are an improvement in night lighting and a small bit
    > of
    > landclass for the cities.
    >
    > Despite the fact that the roads look spray painted on top of the
    > landclass,
    > it adds to the feeling that a civilization might exist down below. You
    > can
    > see the freeways for VFR flight... and you can find your street. New
    > roads
    > appear everywhere they didn't use to be. These roads produce a fantastic
    > effect for night flying. It's a good thing.
    >
    > The coastlines are a big deal too because they make lakes look far more
    > realistic. Oceanic coastlines become complex and interesting. Both of
    > these effect the sim in very positive ways.
    >
    > Frame rate hit... subjectively speaking, I have not noticed any. I did
    > notice a substantial increase in scenery load times - 50-100% longer, but
    > not a deal breaker.
    >
    > I believe the author actually encourages FSGenesis mesh to make things
    > match
    > up better. He flattens the major highways and that removes a lot of
    > erroneous abnormalities from the default.
    >
    > So, it's not so much a scenery thing... I believe UTUSA in combination
    > with
    > the upcoming Birds Eye View textures will complete the total package.
    >
    > Dallas

    Thanks KT. It sounds like a must have. I think I'll get it. I have access to
    a broadband connection, but might wait for the CD when it becomes available
    if it hasn't already.
    Thanks again for the information.
    Dudley

    <Katy Pluta> wrote in message
> [...]
    > it as well if you want to apply all layers for the best look possible
    > (UT landclass for areas not covered by FSG under the FSG landclass and
    > on top a special transparent layer of UT better urban landclass - see
    > forum below for details)
    >
    >>I realize I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I'd really like to have
    >>handle on what to expect before I jump into this program.
    >>Generally, aside from these questions which are very important to me, any
    >>feedback will be appreciated.
    >
    > Just mind that you have broadband and use the Flight1 Download
    > Utility, this is one whooping big file, you will have to add both
    > updates 1.1 and 1.2 afterwards. There are compatibility updates for
    > some add-ons such as Misty Fjords, Alaska Cinematics and Holger's
    > freeware sceneries. Also take the time to visit the forum at

    The new shorelines make a huge difference (though as Dallas pointed out
    in another post, the "beachness" of them sometimes suffers). Here are
    some screenshots I made several weeks ago, using UT, FS Genesis mesh
    and FS Genesis landclass. Focus is on shorelines, with some night
    lighting thrown in for good measure:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15748845@N00/sets/658083/show

    Here's the San Bernadino Mountains set I shared in another thread;
    includes a few with Lake Arrowhead and more night lighting:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15748845@N00/sets/661080/show

    "Dudley Henriques"
    > the famous Parker House roll!!!

    I heard doing that one too many times can make you fat.

    LOL

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > "Dudley Henriques"
    >> the famous Parker House roll!!!
    >
    > I heard doing that one too many times can make you fat.

    I represent that!

    Many thanks for the screens. Beautiful stuff!! Looks like a keeper. I
    understand there are two patches as well and the DL is horrific. It looks
    like for this one I might be better off waiting just a bit longer to get the
    CD which I understand is on the way.
    Thanks again. I think I'll get the program.

    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1124855238.9547@forums.simradar.com...

    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
    > Many thanks for the screens. Beautiful stuff!! Looks like a keeper. I
    > understand there are two patches as well and the DL is horrific. It looks
    > like for this one I might be better off waiting just a bit longer to get
    > the CD which I understand is on the way.
    > Thanks again. I think I'll get the program.

    I just let it download overnight; installed it and then wrote it to dvd!

    Chris

    "Dudley Henriques"
    > It looks like for this one I might be better off
    waiting just a bit longer to get the CD

    Nope. Don't worry about it... If you look on the product page you'll see
    that Flight1 wants you to use their new Flight1 Downloader Tool. The tool
    verifies the data and can resume if interrupted. I just set it up when I
    went to bed and in the morning, viola!

    Dallas

    Dallas wrote:
    > The tool verifies the data and can resume if interrupted. I just set
    > it up when I went to bed and in the morning, viola!

    Don't you mean you set it up in the morning when you went to bed??? <G>

    "CRaSH"
    > Don't you mean you set it up in the morning when you went to bed??? <G>

    Actually, I never go to bed....
    <G>

    Varmit

Microsoft Video Games