Axim X30 624 with Standard Battery (950mah) battery life?

November 13, 2004 1:06:16 PM

Has anybody tried charging the standard (950mAh) battery that comes
with Axim X30 624, and just leaving the device unused? I wonder how
long it lasts without any usage on it? I had iPod which drained the
battery (or it drained itself) without any usage, so I could have it
sitting on my desk for a few days and then when I picked it up to
listen to music found it to be too low on battery.
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 1:06:17 PM

My X30 mid has been sitting on my desk for 4-5 days with occasional use.
It's down to 66%. With no use at all I would expect it may last two weeks.
With a good backup, you could always recover. BUT, LiIon batteries don't
like being fully discharged like that. It's best to just leave it in the
cradle and charging if you are not going to be touching it for a while. If
you aren't going to be using it for a long while, make a good backup, charge
the battery, and remove it. Out of the X30 the battery will retain a charge
for a month or more.

I am surprised about your iPod experience. I would have assumed an iPod is
pretty much off when you turn it off, except for what is needed to respond
to the power button. My Samsung MP3 player sure doesn't drain a charge in a
few days of inactivity. PPCs are definitely not really off, but rather in
suspend, keeping ram alive, when you turn them off.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
> Has anybody tried charging the standard (950mAh) battery that comes
> with Axim X30 624, and just leaving the device unused? I wonder how
> long it lasts without any usage on it? I had iPod which drained the
> battery (or it drained itself) without any usage, so I could have it
> sitting on my desk for a few days and then when I picked it up to
> listen to music found it to be too low on battery.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:13:45 AM

That's not too bad, one side-effect of the higher CPU is that it eats
up battery more...
So, is there any problem with leaving the X30 in the cradle for a long
time without using it? For example, I could leave it there and not
touch it for a week, then pick it up and start using it actively for
another week. Or will that cause damage to the battery (or maybe even
the ppc itself)?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:05:22 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My X30 mid has been sitting on my desk for 4-5 days with occasional use.
>It's down to 66%. With no use at all I would expect it may last two weeks.
>With a good backup, you could always recover. BUT, LiIon batteries don't
>like being fully discharged like that. It's best to just leave it in the
>cradle and charging if you are not going to be touching it for a while. If
>you aren't going to be using it for a long while, make a good backup, charge
>the battery, and remove it. Out of the X30 the battery will retain a charge
>for a month or more.
>
>I am surprised about your iPod experience. I would have assumed an iPod is
>pretty much off when you turn it off, except for what is needed to respond
>to the power button. My Samsung MP3 player sure doesn't drain a charge in a
>few days of inactivity. PPCs are definitely not really off, but rather in
>suspend, keeping ram alive, when you turn them off.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 7:13:46 AM

No, it shouldn't be a problem. You aren't going to be using it actively for
a week without sticking it in the charger overnight though. Unless your
definition of actively is the Palm definition of actively ;)

--
news:D i1ep0900ai3pnoils6hfj9gg2666a4sam@4ax.com...
> That's not too bad, one side-effect of the higher CPU is that it eats
> up battery more...
> So, is there any problem with leaving the X30 in the cradle for a long
> time without using it? For example, I could leave it there and not
> touch it for a week, then pick it up and start using it actively for
> another week. Or will that cause damage to the battery (or maybe even
> the ppc itself)?
>

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:05:22 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >My X30 mid has been sitting on my desk for 4-5 days with occasional use.
> >It's down to 66%. With no use at all I would expect it may last two
weeks.
> >With a good backup, you could always recover. BUT, LiIon batteries don't
> >like being fully discharged like that. It's best to just leave it in the
> >cradle and charging if you are not going to be touching it for a while.
If
> >you aren't going to be using it for a long while, make a good backup,
charge
> >the battery, and remove it. Out of the X30 the battery will retain a
charge
> >for a month or more.
> >
> >I am surprised about your iPod experience. I would have assumed an iPod
is
> >pretty much off when you turn it off, except for what is needed to
respond
> >to the power button. My Samsung MP3 player sure doesn't drain a charge in
> >few days of inactivity. PPCs are definitely not really off, but rather in
> >suspend, keeping ram alive, when you turn them off.

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:40:09 AM

LOL! Not a chance.. I mean by actively I'd be lucky if it lasts me a
day. But it's alright, if I can always restore it to the cradle after
using it. After all, the cradle is on the desk anyway so what better
place for a ppc than there right?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:27:55 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
<sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No, it shouldn't be a problem. You aren't going to be using it actively for
>a week without sticking it in the charger overnight though. Unless your
>definition of actively is the Palm definition of actively ;)
>
>--
>Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
>"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
>news:D i1ep0900ai3pnoils6hfj9gg2666a4sam@4ax.com...
>> That's not too bad, one side-effect of the higher CPU is that it eats
>> up battery more...
>> So, is there any problem with leaving the X30 in the cradle for a long
>> time without using it? For example, I could leave it there and not
>> touch it for a week, then pick it up and start using it actively for
>> another week. Or will that cause damage to the battery (or maybe even
>> the ppc itself)?
>>

>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:05:22 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
>> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My X30 mid has been sitting on my desk for 4-5 days with occasional use.
>> >It's down to 66%. With no use at all I would expect it may last two
>weeks.
>> >With a good backup, you could always recover. BUT, LiIon batteries don't
>> >like being fully discharged like that. It's best to just leave it in the
>> >cradle and charging if you are not going to be touching it for a while.
>If
>> >you aren't going to be using it for a long while, make a good backup,
>charge
>> >the battery, and remove it. Out of the X30 the battery will retain a
>charge
>> >for a month or more.
>> >
>> >I am surprised about your iPod experience. I would have assumed an iPod
>is
>> >pretty much off when you turn it off, except for what is needed to
>respond
>> >to the power button. My Samsung MP3 player sure doesn't drain a charge in
>> >few days of inactivity. PPCs are definitely not really off, but rather in
>> >suspend, keeping ram alive, when you turn them off.

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 6:00:33 PM

I solved this problem the expensive way (got lucky and bought my x30 624
second-hand, supposedly used for 1 week only) I got the 1800mah battery.
Its a dream. I 624 I used it near constantly for 3-6 hours 2 times a day
for 3 days before I "HAD" to charge it (8% battery life), while driving from
Las Vegas NV to Myrtle Beach SC (I only used it while someone else was doing
the driving)

IF anyone wants one of these and does not have one got to eBay, some really
good deals. and the price drops a good $50 if you get one someone bought
and used for a little bit then sold, instead of still sealed. I got the x30
624 with all its normal parts, a gig SD, the 1800mah battery, an extra 3
dell stylus pack, the plastic screen covers, and the larger nicer magnetic
lock leather carrying case for $405 shipped priority express for $15.

Only problems are that the 1800 is so big it does not fit in the nicer case,
and it came with rom A02, which I knew nothing about until after I had
installed a butt load of stuff and other info on it. Then when I upgraded to
A05 I had to reinstall everything (back up does not work, if you use it,
then WM 10 stops working in A05). On A02 It crashed about 2 to 8 times a
day, since going A05 I have had no problems, so far. but its only been 4
days since I upgraded.

> LOL! Not a chance.. I mean by actively I'd be lucky if it lasts me a
> day. But it's alright, if I can always restore it to the cradle after
> using it. After all, the cradle is on the desk anyway so what better
> place for a ppc than there right?
>

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:27:55 -0700, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices"
> <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No, it shouldn't be a problem. You aren't going to be using it actively
>>for
>>a week without sticking it in the charger overnight though. Unless your
>>definition of actively is the Palm definition of actively ;)
>>
>>--
>>Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
>>"Vileo" <Vileo@com.com> wrote in message
>>news:D i1ep0900ai3pnoils6hfj9gg2666a4sam@4ax.com...
>>> That's not too bad, one side-effect of the higher CPU is that it eats
>>> up battery more...
>>> So, is there any problem with leaving the X30 in the cradle for a long
>>> time without using it? For example, I could leave it there and not
>>> touch it for a week, then pick it up and start using it actively for
>>> another week. Or will that cause damage to the battery (or maybe even
>>> the ppc itself)?

>>weeks.
>>If
>>charge
>>charge

>>is
>>respond

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:54:18 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:00:33 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>I solved this problem the expensive way (got lucky and bought my x30 624
>second-hand, supposedly used for 1 week only) I got the 1800mah battery.
>Its a dream. I 624 I used it near constantly for 3-6 hours 2 times a day
>for 3 days before I "HAD" to charge it (8% battery life), while driving from
>Las Vegas NV to Myrtle Beach SC (I only used it while someone else was doing
>the driving)
>
>IF anyone wants one of these and does not have one got to eBay, some really
>good deals. and the price drops a good $50 if you get one someone bought
>and used for a little bit then sold, instead of still sealed. I got the x30
>624 with all its normal parts, a gig SD, the 1800mah battery, an extra 3
>dell stylus pack, the plastic screen covers, and the larger nicer magnetic
>lock leather carrying case for $405 shipped priority express for $15.
>
>Only problems are that the 1800 is so big it does not fit in the nicer case,
>and it came with rom A02, which I knew nothing about until after I had
>installed a butt load of stuff and other info on it. Then when I upgraded to
>A05 I had to reinstall everything (back up does not work, if you use it,
>then WM 10 stops working in A05). On A02 It crashed about 2 to 8 times a
>day, since going A05 I have had no problems, so far. but its only been 4
>days since I upgraded.

Well, thats good news...I just ordered a new one with the extended
battery...and I am glad to know that the battery life is this good :)

Which brand of SD card did you get?

***
....the Phoenix shall rise...
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:54:19 AM

Sansdisk, see the "Axim X30 w/ Kingmax SD 1GB card?" posts

"Phoenix AG" <contact.me@in.the.ng> wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:00:33 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>I solved this problem the expensive way (got lucky and bought my x30 624
>>second-hand, supposedly used for 1 week only) I got the 1800mah battery.
>>Its a dream. I 624 I used it near constantly for 3-6 hours 2 times a day
>>for 3 days before I "HAD" to charge it (8% battery life), while driving
>>from
>>Las Vegas NV to Myrtle Beach SC (I only used it while someone else was
>>doing
>>the driving)
>>
>>IF anyone wants one of these and does not have one got to eBay, some
>>really
>>good deals. and the price drops a good $50 if you get one someone bought
>>and used for a little bit then sold, instead of still sealed. I got the
>>x30
>>624 with all its normal parts, a gig SD, the 1800mah battery, an extra 3
>>dell stylus pack, the plastic screen covers, and the larger nicer magnetic
>>lock leather carrying case for $405 shipped priority express for $15.
>>
>>Only problems are that the 1800 is so big it does not fit in the nicer
>>case,
>>and it came with rom A02, which I knew nothing about until after I had
>>installed a butt load of stuff and other info on it. Then when I upgraded
>>A05 I had to reinstall everything (back up does not work, if you use it,
>>then WM 10 stops working in A05). On A02 It crashed about 2 to 8 times a
>>day, since going A05 I have had no problems, so far. but its only been 4
>>days since I upgraded.
>
> Well, thats good news...I just ordered a new one with the extended
> battery...and I am glad to know that the battery life is this good :)
>
> Which brand of SD card did you get?
>

> ***
> ...the Phoenix shall rise...
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 5:06:17 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:52:44 GMT, "finndo" <finndo@sc.rr.com> wrote:

>Sansdisk, see the "Axim X30 w/ Kingmax SD 1GB card?" posts

Ah yeah, sorry...I did read about your card...
And yes, I have seen them :)
I started the thread :p

***
....the Phoenix shall rise...