Sign in with
Your question

RAID 1 Transfer to new machine.

Last response: in Storage
May 31, 2006 3:22:26 PM

IS it possible to move one drive of a RAID 1 set to a new machine and rebuild it using a new drive or moving the other drive later?

IOW want to keep both machines up and running on a failed RAID 1 set.

Edit: Does RAID one usually transfer from one board to another.

~Matt

More about : raid transfer machine

May 31, 2006 4:11:04 PM

Depending on the the actual raid card, it may be possible. However if it is a local host raid imbedded on the MOBO you may not be able to do to. You an P to V your raid system to another array with identical partition.
May 31, 2006 4:40:20 PM

Yes the RAID 1 is on the MOBO.

And "You an P to V..." What is P to V?

Thanks.

~Matt
Related resources
May 31, 2006 5:32:56 PM

Unfortunately metadata (the stuff used when accessing an array telling the OS what the disks' layouts) is not standardized and is written on the disks themselves in host-based RAIDs. That being said, it is completely possible if you stay within the same copmany and, more precisely, the same controller model, to "split the mirror" and rebuild from that.

Before doing anything, however, it is advisable to backup important data or even mirror/ghost the entire array if possible.
May 31, 2006 6:54:37 PM

True the RAID configuration data will not be compatible unless you are using an compatible controller.

However unlike RAID 0 & RAID 5, RAID 1 typically produces drives that are 100% readable by a non-RAID controller. At least when dealing with just 2 drives.

So you may be able to get away with just recreating the array on the new machine without reinitializing.

---
I think he is suggesting that you buy two more hard drives and then use a Partition to Volume Copy using some specific backup software across a network.

I am guessing Partition to Volume is the command used by that particular backup software.

---
May 31, 2006 7:39:49 PM

I've seen compatibilty go either way with RAID1, it depends on where the metadata for rebuilding is put. Many do indeep put it at the "end" of the array and don't mark it in the partition table, meaning that the disks are indeed useable to regular systems. I have also seen instances where the controller/software's done something wonky with that metadata, causing errors on boot. This is definately and area where you need to see what is on your motherboard and do some research (or back things up and throw caution to the wind).

But you are correct, Codesmith, if there are no issues reading the disk, you would not reinitialize the array via BIOS, instead you'd first enable them for RAID-ability, then use whatever tools came with the motherboard to rebuild the array or, more likely since the controller won't recognize the disk as part of an old array due to incompatible metadata, using those tools to create a new array if and only if the tools allow creation with backing up the contents of one drive to the other (as NVRAID's do)
June 3, 2006 12:18:18 PM

I am having the same trouble. However, I want to move my RAID from ICH5R to ICH7R. Is that possible
June 3, 2006 8:49:40 PM

Yes, it is possible, look here. Looks like you need to have a spare disk in order to do it if it's your boot partition.
!