how to connect my hard disk

sap

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
HI friends,

I am using dell dimension 5150, in that i have removed dell
hard disk, and i want to connect samsung hard disk.
connection in my system :

Ribbon cable(39 pins data cable) is of three pins.
One end of the ribbon goes to motherboard,and other end goes to CD-ROM,and other connection is left free.
Now how should i connect my samsung hard disk...

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Does your motherboard only have the 1 ide cable? What is wrong with just pluggging in the Samsung HDD into the same connection that the Dell HDD was plugged into?

sap

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
hi

Its not possible to connect samsung hard disk in the place of dell hard disk
since the connection of dell hard disk is different.
For samsung hard disk it should be connected through data cables only.

hi

Huh?! What kind of connection is the dell hard drive then?

You're samsumg hard drive and the dell hard drive should be using the same connection standard of a 40 pin 80 conductor ribbon cable. If the dell hard drive is not using a standard ribbon cable, then don't know what to tell you...truth is, any dell that I've cracked open uses a standard 40pin 80 conductor ribbon cable...

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
hi

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

ikaz

Distinguished
I'm thinking the new HD he bought was sata and not Pata that why there a different connection. If that so then it best you return the new HD and buy a Pata (E/IDE) HD.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I'm thinking the new HD he bought was sata and not Pata that why there a different connection. If that so then it best you return the new HD and buy a Pata (E/IDE) HD.

If that's the case then he can do what you suggested or if he can't return the drive he can get one of these. I am using one in my system right now and they work very well.

sap

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Samsung hard disk is of P-ATA and where as dell Hard disk is of S-ATA.
Is it possible for me to connect Samsung Hard disk.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If you are connecting the P-ata drive through your primary ide cable then just attach it, nothing too hard. If you have a secondary ide slot then you can use that instead of the one that goes to your optical drive. The ide cable that connects your optical drive is the same as the one that you use for p-ata hard drives so just attach it.............

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If your new disk is PATA and the original is SATA then why not just use one of the PATA IDE channels on your motherboard?

You must have at least one IDE channel for the optical drive. I don't think there are many boards with just one.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Are you sure you haven't reversed that? If you're certain, you can get one of these.

He is certain. I was trying to help him in the software section and he posted the model number. I looked it up and it is PATA. I'm to lazy to link the thread. Kind of hard to follow