Master-Shake

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I am building a cheaper build this summer and am going to upgrade to Conroe or AM2 next summer after all the bugs are worked out and there is a wide selection of Motherboards. So what I am looking for is buing a CPU, Ram, MoBo that arent that expensive so I wont lose that much cash. When I upgrade next summer I will prolly just sell these. So This is what I choose.

DFI Lanparty UT-$123.99
Athlon 3000- $106.00
G.SKILL Extream Ram(2GB)-$179.00

I am planning to OC since I will only have these for a year and I want to get as much out of them as I can. I was wondering if this looks good and will be a good OC setup. I know about the opteron 144 but I wont be doing extream OC'ing so I dont thing the 70 bucks is worth it. Is this MoBo good? Is PC4000 Ram worth it?

The DFI Lanparty UT is a good mobo, and DFI is known for making good mobos for OC'ing.

The G.SKILL Extream PC 4000 RAM is good if you plan on anything more than 10% overclock and only costs $20 - $30 more than PC 3200 RAM, many of which probably max out with a 10% overclock.

All in all, it seems good to me.

clarkbark

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
For a small upgrade and some OC'ing your build is good. I like to get cheap parts and when it comes to memory I get it cheap. For lots of OC'ing I would get that type of memory but for a 10% OC I would think some dual Channel Value select memory with some added heatsinks on them would do fine. Again, I look for the cheap of the cheap and I don't seem much advantage to expensive memory vs. cheap memory.

Other than that good build

bruja

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I would recommend to buy 1GB of ram and save money. We have 8-9 months for vindows vista and I think until vistas debut, 2GB of ram wont make a important performance difference over 1GB of ram.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
2GB ram is good for some games with big scenes..
but anyway i know that the MOBO is very good for OC.. but is it really worth using that much money on it compared to the rest of the equipment? remember that you are only going to have it for one year..
but maby the resale is better.. i dunno

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I would recommend to buy 1GB of ram and save money. We have 8-9 months for vindows vista and I think until vistas debut, 2GB of ram wont make a important performance difference over 1GB of ram.

lol.. try playing BF 1942 with 1GB vs 2GB of RAM. It is a night and day difference. 2GB will make your system run faster. Simple as that.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
i thought that only aplied to BF2..
anyway, i am going for 2X1GB kingston PC5400, i dont know if they are good for overclocking, and i have heard that DDR2 ram is not of much use unless you got a strong processor..