Home made Water Cooling

G

I was wodering if anyone had an idea how to make a radiator.
I made the cpu block out of aluminum, will post pics soon, but im getting worried about making a radiator.
I gona test the cpu block today by plugging it on the city water supply.
Also what throughoutput do usualy water pumps have?

Test results...
Watercooling my celeron shaved off 11C in idle/load at stock 2.7GHz
40-50 vs 29-39
and 19-25 when clocked at 3.2GHz[/img]
50-66 vs 31-41
Watercooling is the way to go!

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Here's an idea,,, make an external waterblock, rectangular in shape & sandwich it between 2 tec/peltiers & then pass the water through that.
Its a lot more efficient cooling water that way than any radiator. Your only worry would be the PSU to power them but you could always use a cheap pc psu to do so.
It works just like a real drinking water cooler,,, kinda.

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Im wondering if you can get away with just a large reservior that is put into a fridge.

As in you just dont ue a radiator at all kinda like the "Zalman RESERATOR 1 Plus". I think it would be easier to make one of these instead of trying to fashion a proper car like radiator.

The pump is a bit of a worry I have heard of pplz using pumps from fish tanks to get their water movin. hehehehe

Hrmz immagine totally home built water cooling all the parts from a hardware store!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
The best cooling is a cold storage for the computer, climate controlled home made box, this is the way massive computer systems are cooled the pic of your system is not going to do the job right. you wil get to much moisture with the psu so close to the cpu. Second make sure you have dielectric grease on the cpu pins this will protect your socket from corrision. If you really want to cool down the computer you do need air flow of a good source I have lots of pic of mine and it works. Second is space things are to tight in there you will have problems with a squeezed case. Making a Rad is point less go to the junk yard and pull out a heater core but that too needs room I will post a pic one more time
im0009753ba.jpg

HINT notic no psu this saves 100 percent heated water problems.
sider0013ty.jpg

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
yeah i agree with gomer,

forget trying to make a rad, and just pull a heater core out of an old car. its pretty easy, should be free, and will give you way better cooling than a lil rad with a 12cm fan.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Water temps cold like 10c and under can cause huge side effects, I've experience -2 temps running through my in lines and 6 on the return line this can cause bad effects, if the computer is not prepared for sub zero temp that person better be prepaired to buy a new computer, the best known way to cool down a computer is climate controlled box

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Mine at idle only reach 20 degC when i'm at 2.6 ghz with my clawhammer.
I guess you could reach - if you have big enough peltiers but at that low temps there will be a lot of condensation issues at least once you start going below 20 deg c, as a matter of fact condensation starts becoming a problem for me from about 25 deg c but its managable there.

G

Its in my plans to get a bigger case than thisone, and add some extra airflow. Im thinking that that would help with the condensation issue, anyway i dont tink that there should be any condensation at watertemps of 10-15 deg. I like the car rad idea, especially because i want to make the cheapest possible cooling system. for now i made the block and got the hose and the expenses are about 3 $. So it would be pretty wild if i can make this happen in under 15$!

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Its in my plans to get a bigger case than thisone, and add some extra airflow. Im thinking that that would help with the condensation issue, anyway i dont tink that there should be any condensation at watertemps of 10-15 deg. I like the car rad idea, especially because i want to make the cheapest possible cooling system. for now i made the block and got the hose and the expenses are about 3 $. So it would be pretty wild if i can make this happen in under 15$!

Pour a glass of water at 10 deg C and stand it in your room. Watch the condensation appear!

Very commendable efforts to do DIY cooling on a budget though - good luck!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Yes at that their will be, insulated tubing, socket and all, I found the biggest problem was under the socket when I had my chiller hook up I had a table spoon or so in the socket, water that is. I cant believe my computer still work after that. I did use lots of dielectric paste and because of that I saved my system.

I haven't gone back to the chiller and the downfall is I cannot even come close to the clock speed now ,the compair I summited in a post today will show that I'm still oc quit a bit with the current cooling.