hawaii34

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Hello everyone,
I got the following: Asus A7N8X-VM/400(socket A), 1gig Hyper X DDR 400 memory, AMD XP 2800(barton), Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 160gig drive, Nvidia 6200 128mb card.

Anyway, my cpu is normally running around 55-58 degrees. I really want to get this temp. a lot lower. The cpu fan is stock AMD and the power supply is stock and so is everything else in my cheap case. I need some suggestions on what fans I could use to replace my stock ones?? Plus, everything is really noisy and I'm desperate to get it much quieter. No, I'm not willing to do any
watercooling. Also, I'm not planning to get do any overclocking either.

I mainly want to lower the temps and make a bit quieter too. Any help soon would be really great. Thanks! :lol:

Craig

Try the ZALMAN CNPS7000B for $43 shipped. The power supply may get in the way so you may need to bend the fins. i had to do that with my current setup.

It's a good product that is quieter than the stock fan. comes with a Fan Mate 2 so that you can maually control the speed of the fan to reduce noise. It's also compatible with S939 Athlon 64, but they will be ending production this year.

Also, don't forget Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. That will also help lower the CPU temp.

Steps:

1. Use a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol to clean off the heatsink compound on the CPU.

2. Use about a rice size amount on the Zalman or any other heat sink fan, and spread evenly with a credit card.

3. Install the Zalman (read the included instructions.

It takes about 200 hours (IIRC) for the Artic Silver to fully cure, but you should see and immediate drop in temps.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Look at replacing any 80mm fans with 120mm fans, they will move the same amount of air at lower rpms and therefore lower noise. Definitely get an after market cpu hsf if you want lower temps (quieter too).

sailer

Splendid
On the question of fans, don't forget to have both an intake fan and an exhaust fan. Cool air in, hot air out. If your computer case allows it, have the intake going over the hard drive and blowing toward the graphics card. More fans are better. I have five fans; one coming over the hard drive, one blowing on the graphics card from the side, one blowing out the top of the case, and two out the rear. With lots of fans, I can keep the individual fan speeds down so its fairly quite, yet still move lots of air. My CPU and graphics cards rarely get over 45c, and I live in the Nevada desert.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Definitely you need an aftermarket HSF. Also use better thermal paste like Artic Silver 5. On top of that, make sure you have good air ciculation and ventilation inside the case as well. With a good cooling that AMD XP 2800 cpu should be running at 40-45 idle at normal room temperature.

The Zalman is a great HSF that jaguar recommended.

Also check out this coolers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106061

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106035

And for the thermal paste:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100007

Here's a link to some 120mm fans.

The most quiet is the Nexus (either color, doesn't matter), but they are a little expensive.

Yate Loons are also very good as well. Nexus are cherry picked Yate Loons. They are also cheaper than Nexus too.

GlobalWin is also known for quiet fans.

Scythe fans are good as well.

Here's a list of 80mm fans.

Panaflo is what I would recommend.

---------

Also, get a Fan Mate 2 for each fan so that you can control the speed and noise.

hawaii34

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks man and the rest of you guys. I'll let you know in about 2 weeks how it goes. Actually, I will probably be back to get some more advice or whatevers. I really do appreciate it!

Craig

linux_0

Splendid
Yea get the zalaman unless you want the monstrosity I have. The thermaltake CL-P0024 Copper Cooling Heatsink
enlaregedView.jpg
:lol:

Daaaang

How much does that thing weigh?

That's huge!

TRENDING THREADS