X1800XT 512Mb vs. X1900GT

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
ok , even if i have like a 19 inch wide LCD screen? the extra 512 wont boost preformance? i kno more vRAM boosts preformance in high resolutions

sailer

Splendid
ok, also is it worth the extra 50 bucks for the 512MB version of the XT?

That's a question only you can answer. Linux might not care about the few extra frames. Neither might I, but if you do care, then its worth the extra $50. The extra 256 mg might also prove more useful in the future, if more games are written that use it. At the same time, the basic architecture of the 1900 is better then the 1800, so that may more than balance for the smaller number of mb. Keep in mind that opinions are just that, opinions, adn what you like and want may be different than what someone else likes and wants.

As for myself, I'm saving for a 512mg 1900XTX, though if a better card comes along before I get the necessary money together, I'll get that.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
see thats the thing im not very big on eye candy but the X1900GT sounds like a good way for me to go.

i can grab a CF edition it the GT now. and later on i can pick up a normal X1900XT for a cheaper price and it'll give it a hefty boost or i can get the XT512MB and later add an X1800GTO which would be the cheapter sollution.

i dunno im on a budget and i dont upgrade every year so i may get the X1800XT since ill get the preformance i need now. and maybe the X1800XT or XTX Cf editions will be cheaper.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
i can grab a CF edition it the GT now. and later on i can pick up a normal X1900XT for a cheaper price and it'll give it a hefty boost or i can get the XT512MB
That would be a total waste; your X1900XT would have to disable everything it has that the GT doesn't.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
i can grab a CF edition it the GT now. and later on i can pick up a normal X1900XT for a cheaper price and it'll give it a hefty boost or i can get the XT512MB
That would be a total waste; your X1900XT would have to disable everything it has that the GT doesn't.
Yea, that would be a major waste.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yea, that would be a major waste.

ok, X1800XT it is then. too bad i cant find an XT CF edition only GTO's

ok, anyways eye candy. why?
im not big on it cuz i play games for its level of fun, i mean if it looks pretty its an added bonus, i still play an 8 year old game, Starsiege Tribes. (aka Tribes 1) so eye candy and gfx not a big deal to me but i wanna be able to run the games at 20+ frames.

so if u guys reommend the X1800XT the 1800 it will be.

Also if in the future i decide to CF them the extra 256 MB would be a waste since the GTo would have the extra RAM and since crossfire is made so one renders 1 frame and the other renders another it would be pointless to have the extra ram since the GTO wouldnt have it.
m
Ok, saves a ton of time, thanks,.

now only is HIS tech sold the X1800XT with its IceQ 3 cooler, why do they stick the good coolers on all the crappy cards?, the X1300, X800, X1600 have IceQ or IceTurbo coolers, X1800 does not the X1900 does.

dan, guess ill get a zalman.

this brings me to yet another point.

i got a zalman VF-900 sittin 3 feet from me, but im not sure how to remove the stock cooler on the X1900XT, do i just unscrew it while its still hot/warm and pull..or is there some kind of mechanism.....i dont wanna Fruck it up since it cost me 450 bucks..more than my CPU..soo yah...thanks

sailer

Splendid
i got a zalman VF-900 sittin 3 feet from me, but im not sure how to remove the stock cooler on the X1900XT, do i just unscrew it while its still hot/warm and pull..or is there some kind of mechanism.....i dont wanna Fruck it up since it cost me 450 bucks..more than my CPU..soo yah...thanks[/quote]

Well pengwin, what I would do is when its nice and hot/warm, is to twist it about 90 degrees and then pull gently. If you just pull, you can start a suction that wants to pull things apart with it, but by twisting first, a lot of the glue stuff looses its strength, so it comes apart easier.