How to schedule a printer switch on ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 13, 2005 2:22:07 AM

I was told that I should switch on the printer regularly to prevent
clogging of the print head.

So I wonder if it is possible to schedule a switch on. My printer will
switch off automatically after 10mins.

How best to do it ? I thought send a 0K file to LPT1. It does not
work for me.

Have somebody tried this ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:07:39 AM

Canon. The sale person.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:11:01 AM

<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was told that I should switch on the printer regularly to prevent
> clogging of the print head.
>
> So I wonder if it is possible to schedule a switch on. My printer will
> switch off automatically after 10mins.
>
> How best to do it ? I thought send a 0K file to LPT1. It does not
> work for me.
>
> Have somebody tried this ?

I would like to ask , what brand printer? and who told you this was
necessary?
March 13, 2005 6:16:36 PM

On 13-Mar-2005, "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote:

> > So I wonder if it is possible to schedule a switch on. My printer will
> > switch off automatically after 10mins.

If by switch on you mean power on, use a timer with a
manual over ride button, so you can also switch it on
by pressing the button. You may find you get through a lot
of ink that way.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:21:48 PM

The solution is simple. Turn the printer switch on and leave it on.
Connect the line cord to a timer. Set the timer to go on and off as
needed. When you print, manually turn on the switch at the timer.

PC Medic wrote:

><dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>I was told that I should switch on the printer regularly to prevent
>>clogging of the print head.
>>
>>So I wonder if it is possible to schedule a switch on. My printer will
>>switch off automatically after 10mins.
>>
>>How best to do it ? I thought send a 0K file to LPT1. It does not
>>work for me.
>>
>>Have somebody tried this ?
>>

>I would like to ask , what brand printer? and who told you this was
>necessary?

March 13, 2005 9:21:49 PM

measekite wrote:

>The solution is simple. Turn the printer switch on and leave it on.
>Connect the line cord to a timer. Set the timer to go on and off as
>needed. When you print, manually turn on the switch at the timer.

Most printers have "soft" power buttons, which means turning the main
power on/off does NOT cause the printer to turn on. A timer will not
work.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:31:24 AM

> Canon. The sale person.

If this was a 'store' sales person providing such ridiculous information,
the store should consider retraining him or keeping him away from products
he knows little about.

If this was an actual 'Canon' in-store product representative, next time you
see him suggest another line of work.
This of course after you talk his supervisors name out of him so you can let
them know what an idiotic piece of advice he/she gave you.

Canon (and most other manufactures) printers will park and cap the printhead
shortly after the completion of a print job. In the case of Canon printers
made in the past 4-5 years this takes place approximately 45 seconds after
the last print command is received. If you reach up and turn the printer off
using the switch on the printer or via auto power off in the software
driver, this will also cause the printhead to park and cap at the home
position.

So, providing you do cut the power to the printer in an unusual manner (such
as turning ff a power strip it is plugged to), before it gets to complete
its normal capping procedure, then the head is capped to reduce the chance
of clogging.
It would generally take many weeks of no use before a clog 'may' occur, and
even then a simple head cleaning cycle or two should clear it. IF for some
reason you are experiencing more frequent clogs (say after a day or two of
no use), then service of the printhead or printer may be indicated. To turn
the printer on and off needlessly would be a waste of ink and un-necessary.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:35:50 AM

<dingdongdingding@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I was told that I should switch on the printer regularly to prevent
> clogging of the print head.
>
> So I wonder if it is possible to schedule a switch on. My printer will
> switch off automatically after 10mins.
>
> How best to do it ? I thought send a 0K file to LPT1. It does not
> work for me.

Try looking in print preferences or settings for an auto-off setting. You
might benefit more from printing something every day / other day / whenever.
This could easily be scheduled using a computer scheduler.

Also, salespeople aren't the best people for information.
!