I DONT KNOW WHERE to put this, ut my PC freezes...

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi,

my computer just freezes randomly for no apparet reason, somtimes when PC starts, in muiddle of games, and there seems to be no trigger to it.

is there a way i can find out why the PC freezes, its a homemade AMD PC. Everything works perfectly, but the entire pc just freezes somtimes and it causes me 2 restart.

can anyone help

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
it actully just reoccured, i mean it acts like this, a few weeks it will be fine then it will start playin up for a bit in short space of time,

also this time i got a error report and sent it to windows, this is what i got back:

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? : No (see Next steps)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from
which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

This web page tells you how to diagnose it. If you aren't computer savvy or don't have access to the platform SDK you'll probably have to try and diagnose by trial and error.

It definitely looks like a buggy and/or corrupt device driver. Have you installed any new hardware recently? If so, see if there are newer drivers for it out on the manufacturers web site. If you haven't installed any new devices, you may want to just try uninstalling and reinstalling some device drivers or look for newer drivers.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
We can't help you unless you give us a detailed description of your hardware, the driver versions for your core components (motherboard, video and sound cards), your OS version, service packs and hotfixes, also, most important, the hexadecimal code that the OS gives you (that 0x0000001E KMODE appears to be a placeholder).

Just about anything can be causing those random crashes, help us help you out...

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Just a couple of obvious things to check first.

1.) Is the CPU heatsink hot to the touch when this happens? CPU could be running hot. You can also go into BIOS and under PC HEALTH or something similar you should be able to record the temps of your CPU and M/B chipset. Let us know these values.

2.) Do you have more than one stick of RAM installed? If so, try the RAM one stick at a time and see if you can pin it on one of the sticks when this happens.

3.) Go into BIOS and make sure all memory settings are default values (Set by SPD).

4.) If all else fails, please post back with your system specs. This will give us a bit more to work with (be sure to list any add in cards which may be plugged into your mainboard)

edit: looks like TC beat me to the memory check

Qris

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
My friend has the same problem. His problem is the CPU - I've checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS - it's approx. 89 degrees Celsius. I've tried reinstalling the fan - no effects.

The CPU (Athlon XP 2000+) has never been overclocked, the Mobo is ECS L7vta. Voltages are stable. Any ideas?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
My friend has the same problem. His problem is the CPU - I've checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS - it's approx. 89 degrees Celsius. I've tried reinstalling the fan - no effects.

The CPU (Athlon XP 2000+) has never been overclocked, the Mobo is ECS L7vta. Voltages are stable. Any ideas?

Remove the heatsink, and carefully clean the old thermal compound from it and the CPU (you may want to remove the CPU as well). Replace this with a quality brand, getting the thickness of application as directed (more is definitely not more in this case).

It sounds like you have a very poor connection to your heatsink at present.

Qris

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
I thought just so. Already suggested my friend doing so, I don't really know if he installs the fan correctly (I have always had Pentiums).
Thanks anyway, we'll see what happens.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
If its not a heat issue, make sure that your MB is not grounding to your case, as that could cause many of those problems. (I should know, since the instruction manual for my MB on my first PC failed to mention those brass standoffs, leaving me with a computer that constantly froze for a year! without me knowing why...)

Qris

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
After removing old and applying new thermal compuond, the temperature in BIOS reached 126 C (how?). As I thought, it was just the radiator faultly installed - when my friend turned it and installed correctly, the temperature was 44 C (that is 82 C less :wink: )

Thanks for your advice.