Sign in with
Your question

$600 Gaming Rig(Opteron165)

Last response: in Systems
June 1, 2006 1:50:44 AM

I am planning on building a gaming rig in a week or two. I would like to try out the operteron 165 because of its dual core setup and overclocking ability.
I already have a 1800XT and a case. I could probably use some old hardrives and cd/dvd drives, if they won't fit in my budget. What I am mostly concerned about is the ram, motherboard and cooling unit. I know many people have built a computer around the 165 and I would like to use their experience to help make a good computer.

I could move to a different proceesor if my budget won't work but I would love to try the 165 out. Whatever the processor, I definitly want dual core.

Thanks for any help and thanks to toms hardware for such excellent forums!
June 1, 2006 2:11:31 AM

what about epox, i heard they had good quality-better than DFI

so far ive got:

Opteron 165 OEM(because I'd get a new cooler anyway)-293
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail-123.99
June 1, 2006 3:11:50 AM

G.SKILL has some PC4000 Ram that is 179.00 bucks and that is for two gigs and that will help a bunch in OC'ing.
Related resources
June 1, 2006 3:24:54 AM

Quote:
G.SKILL has some PC4000 Ram that is 179.00 bucks and that is for two gigs and that will help a bunch in OC'ing.

Yep, pair that with a DFI board (Which really like the Gskill RAM) and either a Zalman CNPS9500 or an XP-120. Go to DFI-Street.com for more info on DFI boards.

I suggest getting the Ultra-D, it has 2 PCI-E slots, but not an SLI chipset (But that can be fixed with a pencil, read DFI-street to see what I'm talking about). The rig I'm going to purchase this weekend has all those components, except Im getting an opty 146 because of my budget.
June 1, 2006 3:42:00 AM

Just curious on on you getting a new cooler.. The stock Opteron CPU cooler works really well and runs pretty quiet. By buying OEM you also cut your CPU warranty from 3 years to as little as 30 days.

Just food for thought.
June 1, 2006 11:44:02 AM

Quote:
what about epox, i heard they had good quality-better than DFI

Epox 9NPA+ Ultra is the Epox you can also go for. It overclocks just as good as DFI, and can cost you little less.

I agree DFI or Epox is your best bet for OC'ing the 165.

Make sure you get good RAM!!!
June 1, 2006 5:42:58 PM

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail-94
AMD Opteron 165 1000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail-325
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail 159

how are we looking now, i saw some bad reviews on the epox but i suppose there would be bad reviews on any item. From what I've read in the rest of the site Epox is pretty reliable.
June 1, 2006 5:58:06 PM

Quote:
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail-94
AMD Opteron 165 1000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail-325
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail 159

how are we looking now, i saw some bad reviews on the epox but i suppose there would be bad reviews on any item. From what I've read in the rest of the site Epox is pretty reliable.

Looks great!!! Except maybe for the RAM.

Corsair XMS, OCZ or Crucial should be better :-D
June 2, 2006 2:04:48 PM

well now im having second thoughts after seeing all the conroe data, do you think if i can keep the money from burning a hole in my pocket long enough, i should just wait for conroe? I have seen some stats on it and its pretty impressive, i really want to be able to play crysis when it comes out and F.E.A.R/Far Cry right now
June 2, 2006 3:10:18 PM

Quote:
well now im having second thoughts after seeing all the conroe data, do you think if i can keep the money from burning a hole in my pocket long enough, i should just wait for conroe? I have seen some stats on it and its pretty impressive, i really want to be able to play crysis when it comes out and F.E.A.R/Far Cry right now

If you want to wait until the end of July/early August sure, but remember:

All the benchmarks you are seeing are from samples NOT a shipping product.
Rev A products, have problems, while Opteron is a shipping product that has been tested and put through it paces (S939 in general has been)
Can you work wait 2 months?
June 2, 2006 5:11:18 PM

Quote:

As shadowduck said you will have to wait at least 2 months for con-roe[TM] and maybe another 2-6 months for them to fix all the bugs.

S939 works very well and is available right now.

Another option is to get a low end AM2 and upgrade it later when prices drop and the 65nm CPUs are released.
!