Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Jetliner Quilling.. (more Calif screen caps)

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 24, 2005 1:36:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

For the past few days.. have been Quilling around Ventura County
area.. checking out `Graphics' settings, tracking down stutters,
tweaking Cm's (pitch moments) vs MN and q (dyn press), replacing
exterior lights, viewing new liveries, and generally just working the
throttles.

Here's another early AM view passing Oxnard.. looking east:

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Point_Mugu.jpg (257k)


It's a fun Paint Shop Pro exercise.. adding map labels to screens.
Can `buffer mesh' help out here?


For some reason.. have been obsessed with the Ojai Valley region..
and getting a handle on those `wings-a-fyr' exterior lights.. no more
wing lamps the size of stoves. :) 

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Ojai_FL250_lI.jpg (406k)


Putting a label on the Lake (left) obscures the simple, default shore
lines.. need SHORES for the west coast now.


-Gregory

More about : jetliner quilling calif screen caps

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:36:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Cool screencaps, Gregory. It's funny, I grew up in the Valley but I
didn't understand its geography until I moved away and started simming
there. Fiction does that too!

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:37:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory,
Thank you for the screenshots. My home airport is KVNY. My favorite
short hop is from Van Nuys to Quail Lake. From there, time permitting,
I fly to Santa Paula and maybe Santa Barbara. What is your scenery
set-up? I have the 38 meter freeware but my scenery does not look as
detailed as yours.
Thanks,
-Greg
August 24, 2005 9:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On 24 Aug 2005 11:37:51 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory,
>Thank you for the screenshots. My home airport is KVNY. My favorite
>short hop is from Van Nuys to Quail Lake. From there, time permitting,
>I fly to Santa Paula and maybe Santa Barbara.
>
>What is your scenery set-up?

The scenery is FSGenesis 38m USA mesh from avsim.com

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTe...

with FSG beta Land Class from FSG website. Having purchased both
FS8 and FS9.. many terrain textures are FS9 copied over to FS8 plus
other freeware textures.. including some edited/reduced in filesize.

Then on top is Matt Fox California v2 update landclass:
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2002scen&D...

>I have the 38 meter freeware but my scenery does not look as detailed
>as yours. Thanks,
>-Greg

It's nothing special.. low-end-Joe platform running FS8. Best thing
is.. if you have a stable and quality box.. spend time tweaking and
optimizing. This path I'd suggest rather than throwing payware and the
`latest-greatest' components at it. A user can buy payware and not
long after that.. start yawning. Therefore one must be involved in
some from of development for excitement.

Also.. thanks for the compliment. Am quite the image enhancement
wiz when it comes to screen caps and digital photos. That makes a
difference.. post-processing tricks. :) 


-Gregory
August 24, 2005 9:54:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:12:06 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Cool screencaps, Gregory. It's funny, I grew up in the Valley but I
>didn't understand its geography until I moved away and started simming
>there. Fiction does that too!
>

when one says `the Valley'.. which specific area does it refer to?

-G
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:56:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

when one says `the Valley'.. which specific area does it refer to?

_____________________________________________________________________
Around L.A., "the Valley" is always "the San Fernando Valley." As in,
like, valley girls...

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory,

I already have the FSGenesis 38m USA based on your previous
recommendation and it was a major improvement. I just downloaded the
Matt Fox landclass update. I did a "beta landclass" search of the
Avsim downloads library and came up with 6 hits, 4 Colorado and 2 South
America, but no California. Did I miss anything? I have a basic Dell
set-up 3.2G processor, 1GB Ram, 128MB video card. I think the video
card is my most limiting factor, but I can't complain. I'm pretty
satisfied with what I have and I'm a freeware kind of guy. I have most
settings at 3/4 to full and I'm getting 35 FPS. except when in 3D
clouds when it sometimes drops to 7-8 FPS. I'm with you about keeping
it basic. I read many posts from people who keep fiddling with various
payware and are dissatisfied with the results.

-Greg
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 11:16:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Gregory,

Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternat...

And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_ligh...

They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.

I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and
thought that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are
using....??

The Cirrus looks brilliant!

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm

Regards,
John Ward


"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:sisog1ll1un4gpmgr9lreuro7kits2nc4q@4ax.com...
>
> For the past few days.. have been Quilling around Ventura County
> area.. checking out `Graphics' settings, tracking down stutters,
> tweaking Cm's (pitch moments) vs MN and q (dyn press), replacing
> exterior lights, viewing new liveries, and generally just working the
> throttles.
>
> Here's another early AM view passing Oxnard.. looking east:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Point_Mugu.jpg (257k)
>
>
> It's a fun Paint Shop Pro exercise.. adding map labels to screens.
> Can `buffer mesh' help out here?
>
>
> For some reason.. have been obsessed with the Ojai Valley region..
> and getting a handle on those `wings-a-fyr' exterior lights.. no more
> wing lamps the size of stoves. :) 
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Ojai_FL250_lI.jpg (406k)
>
>
> Putting a label on the Lake (left) obscures the simple, default shore
> lines.. need SHORES for the west coast now.
>
>
> -Gregory
>
>
August 25, 2005 11:17:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:16:59 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

>Hi Gregory,
>
> Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:
>
>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternat...
>
> And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:
>
>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_ligh...
>
> They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.
>
thanks John.. ants pants is good thing? or not so good? :=}
will be adding them tonight.

> I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and thought
>that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are using....??
>
> The Cirrus looks brilliant!
>
>http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm
>

It looks wonderful....
but not the kind of big honkin' jet that does if for me.


-G
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:38:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Gregory,

Here's an example, from the Mustang I fly (loosely speaking, of course!
:-)) ):

[LIGHTS]
//#1=beacon #2=strobe #3=nav
//#4=cockpit #5=landing #6=taxi
//#7=recog #8=wing #9=logo
//index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
//---------------originals----------------------------------
light.0=3, 0.80, -18.65, -0.70, fx_navred
light.1=3, 0.80, 18.65, -0.70, fx_navgre
light.2=1, -1.66, 0.00, -3.20, fx_beacon
light.3=5, 2.10, -5.70, -1.80, fx_landing
light.4=5, 2.10, 5.70, -1.80, fx_landing
light.5=2, -19.00, 0.00, -1.00, NAV_white
light.6=2, -2.80, 18.05, -0.70, fx_strobe
light.7=2, -2.80, -18.05, -0.70, fx_strobe

//------------ Exhaust Flames -------------------------uses wing/taxi/logo
light.8=8, 4.85, -1.80, 0.20, fx_RENO_IDLE_port
light.9=8, 4.85, 1.80, 0.20, fx_RENO_IDLE_starb
light.10=6, 4.75, -1.86, 0.18, fx_RENO_CRUISE_port
light.11=6, 4.75, 1.86, 0.18, fx_RENO_CRUISE_starb
light.12=9, 4.65, -1.92, 0.16, fx_RENO_MAX_port
light.13=9, 4.65, 1.92, 0.16, fx_RENO_MAX_starb

Just drop the NAV_White.bmp, and the fx_2.bmp, into your
FS9\Effects\texture folder, and you'll find they're absolute corkers, mate.

You might also want to try the asynchronous Strobe lights:

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=asynchro...

Regards,
John Ward
"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:83rpg199cohqggssugen5a67u2paokn1ji@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:16:59 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Hi Gregory,
>>
>> Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:
>>
>>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternat...
>>
>> And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:
>>
>>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_ligh...
>>
>> They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.
>>
> thanks John.. ants pants is good thing? or not so good? :=}
> will be adding them tonight.
>
>> I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and
>> thought
>>that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are
>>using....??
>>
>> The Cirrus looks brilliant!
>>
>>http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm
>>
>
> It looks wonderful....
> but not the kind of big honkin' jet that does if for me.
>
>
> -G
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 4:47:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Got it. Thanks. It definitely helped. Now if I can just figure out
how to configure the panels I have downloaded and can't seem to apply
to the corresponding cockpit. Oh well, that's for another thread.
August 25, 2005 5:25:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:56:03 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Around L.A., "the Valley" is always "the San Fernando Valley."
>As in, like, valley girls...


Excellent!! > http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Excellent.wav
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:57:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Party on, dude. San Dimas football rules!

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
August 26, 2005 2:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On 25 Aug 2005 12:47:51 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
brought the following to our attention:

>Got it. Thanks. It definitely helped. Now if I can just figure out how
>to configure the panels I have downloaded and can't seem to apply
>to the corresponding cockpit. Oh well, that's for another thread.

go ahead and post your panel configuration task.. an `alias' can be
used in the panel.cfg file


typical content of: Panel.cfg

[fltsim]
//alias=FSFSConv\panel.Jet.Heavy
alias=common panels\757-200
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:50:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Gregory,
Thanks for the tip. I'm knee-deep in other projects now, so I will
save your message and give it a try when I'm less busy. Time
permitting, for diversion, I'm "Quilling" around Southern California in
my Piper Tri Pacer Amphibian.
Greg
!