Jetliner Quilling.. (more Calif screen caps)

For the past few days.. have been Quilling around Ventura County
area.. checking out `Graphics' settings, tracking down stutters,
tweaking Cm's (pitch moments) vs MN and q (dyn press), replacing
exterior lights, viewing new liveries, and generally just working the
throttles.

Here's another early AM view passing Oxnard.. looking east:

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Point_Mugu.jpg (257k)

It's a fun Paint Shop Pro exercise.. adding map labels to screens.
Can `buffer mesh' help out here?

For some reason.. have been obsessed with the Ojai Valley region..
and getting a handle on those `wings-a-fyr' exterior lights.. no more
wing lamps the size of stoves. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Ojai_FL250_lI.jpg (406k)

Putting a label on the Lake (left) obscures the simple, default shore
lines.. need SHORES for the west coast now.

-Gregory
15 answers Last reply
More about jetliner quilling more calif screen caps

    Cool screencaps, Gregory. It's funny, I grew up in the Valley but I
    didn't understand its geography until I moved away and started simming
    there. Fiction does that too!

    Gregory,
    Thank you for the screenshots. My home airport is KVNY. My favorite
    short hop is from Van Nuys to Quail Lake. From there, time permitting,
    I fly to Santa Paula and maybe Santa Barbara. What is your scenery
    set-up? I have the 38 meter freeware but my scenery does not look as
    detailed as yours.
    Thanks,
    -Greg

    On 24 Aug 2005 11:37:51 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Gregory,
    >Thank you for the screenshots. My home airport is KVNY. My favorite
    >short hop is from Van Nuys to Quail Lake. From there, time permitting,
    >I fly to Santa Paula and maybe Santa Barbara.
    >
    >What is your scenery set-up?

    The scenery is FSGenesis 38m USA mesh from avsim.com

    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=justin+tyme&Sort=Added&ScanMode=1

    with FSG beta Land Class from FSG website. Having purchased both
    FS8 and FS9.. many terrain textures are FS9 copied over to FS8 plus
    other freeware textures.. including some edited/reduced in filesize.

    Then on top is Matt Fox California v2 update landclass:
    http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2002scen&DLID=13891

    >I have the 38 meter freeware but my scenery does not look as detailed
    >as yours. Thanks,
    >-Greg

    It's nothing special.. low-end-Joe platform running FS8. Best thing
    is.. if you have a stable and quality box.. spend time tweaking and
    optimizing. This path I'd suggest rather than throwing payware and the
    `latest-greatest' components at it. A user can buy payware and not
    long after that.. start yawning. Therefore one must be involved in
    some from of development for excitement.

    Also.. thanks for the compliment. Am quite the image enhancement
    wiz when it comes to screen caps and digital photos. That makes a
    difference.. post-processing tricks. :)

    -Gregory

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:12:06 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Cool screencaps, Gregory. It's funny, I grew up in the Valley but I
    >didn't understand its geography until I moved away and started simming
    >there. Fiction does that too!

    when one says `the Valley'.. which specific area does it refer to?

    -G

    ___| reply |__________________________________________________________

    when one says `the Valley'.. which specific area does it refer to?

    Gregory,

    I already have the FSGenesis 38m USA based on your previous
    recommendation and it was a major improvement. I just downloaded the
    Matt Fox landclass update. I did a "beta landclass" search of the
    Avsim downloads library and came up with 6 hits, 4 Colorado and 2 South
    America, but no California. Did I miss anything? I have a basic Dell
    set-up 3.2G processor, 1GB Ram, 128MB video card. I think the video
    card is my most limiting factor, but I can't complain. I'm pretty
    satisfied with what I have and I'm a freeware kind of guy. I have most
    settings at 3/4 to full and I'm getting 35 FPS. except when in 3D
    clouds when it sometimes drops to 7-8 FPS. I'm with you about keeping
    it basic. I read many posts from people who keep fiddling with various
    payware and are dissatisfied with the results.

    -Greg

    Hi Gregory,

    Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:

    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternative_nav_lights.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

    And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:

    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_light_package.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

    They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.

    I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and
    thought that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are
    using....??

    The Cirrus looks brilliant!

    http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm

    Regards,
    John Ward

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message

    > For the past few days.. have been Quilling around Ventura County
    > area.. checking out `Graphics' settings, tracking down stutters,
    > tweaking Cm's (pitch moments) vs MN and q (dyn press), replacing
    > exterior lights, viewing new liveries, and generally just working the
    > throttles.
    >
    > Here's another early AM view passing Oxnard.. looking east:
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Point_Mugu.jpg (257k)
    >

    > It's a fun Paint Shop Pro exercise.. adding map labels to screens.
    > Can `buffer mesh' help out here?
    >

    > For some reason.. have been obsessed with the Ojai Valley region..
    > and getting a handle on those `wings-a-fyr' exterior lights.. no more
    > wing lamps the size of stoves. :)
    >
    > http://home.comcast.net/~g-abbey/Ojai_FL250_lI.jpg (406k)
    >

    > Putting a label on the Lake (left) obscures the simple, default shore
    > lines.. need SHORES for the west coast now.
    >

    > -Gregory

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:16:59 +1000, "John Ward"
    <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    > Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:
    >
    >http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternative_nav_lights.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search
    >
    > And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:
    >
    >http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_light_package.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search
    >
    > They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.

    thanks John.. ants pants is good thing? or not so good? :=}
    will be adding them tonight.

    > I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and thought
    >that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are using....??
    >
    > The Cirrus looks brilliant!
    >
    >http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm

    It looks wonderful....
    but not the kind of big honkin' jet that does if for me.

    -G

    Get your beta landclass for the whole U.S. here:
    http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=
    index&req=viewsdownload&sid=11

    Hi Gregory,

    Here's an example, from the Mustang I fly (loosely speaking, of course!
    :-)) ):

    [LIGHTS]
    //#1=beacon #2=strobe #3=nav
    //#4=cockpit #5=landing #6=taxi
    //#7=recog #8=wing #9=logo
    //index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
    //---------------originals----------------------------------
    light.0=3, 0.80, -18.65, -0.70, fx_navred
    light.1=3, 0.80, 18.65, -0.70, fx_navgre
    light.2=1, -1.66, 0.00, -3.20, fx_beacon
    light.3=5, 2.10, -5.70, -1.80, fx_landing
    light.4=5, 2.10, 5.70, -1.80, fx_landing
    light.5=2, -19.00, 0.00, -1.00, NAV_white
    light.6=2, -2.80, 18.05, -0.70, fx_strobe
    light.7=2, -2.80, -18.05, -0.70, fx_strobe

    //------------ Exhaust Flames -------------------------uses wing/taxi/logo
    light.8=8, 4.85, -1.80, 0.20, fx_RENO_IDLE_port
    light.9=8, 4.85, 1.80, 0.20, fx_RENO_IDLE_starb
    light.10=6, 4.75, -1.86, 0.18, fx_RENO_CRUISE_port
    light.11=6, 4.75, 1.86, 0.18, fx_RENO_CRUISE_starb
    light.12=9, 4.65, -1.92, 0.16, fx_RENO_MAX_port
    light.13=9, 4.65, 1.92, 0.16, fx_RENO_MAX_starb

    Just drop the NAV_White.bmp, and the fx_2.bmp, into your
    FS9\Effects\texture folder, and you'll find they're absolute corkers, mate.

    You might also want to try the asynchronous Strobe lights:

    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=asynchronous&CatID=root&Go=Search

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:16:59 +1000, "John Ward"
    > <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Hi Gregory,
    >>
    >> Go here for a vastly improved white nav' light:
    >>
    >>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternative_nav_lights.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search
    >>
    >> And go here for vastly improved red and green nav' lights:
    >>
    >>http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=nav_light_package.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search
    >>
    >> They would be the ants pants for what you're referring to.
    >>
    > thanks John.. ants pants is good thing? or not so good? :=}
    > will be adding them tonight.
    >
    >> I just looked at the promotional video of the Eaglesoft Cirrus, and
    >> thought
    >>that these lights would be an improvement on the lights they are
    >>using....??
    >>
    >> The Cirrus looks brilliant!
    >>
    >>http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/notams05/eagl0822.htm
    >>

    > It looks wonderful....
    > but not the kind of big honkin' jet that does if for me.
    >

    > -G

    Got it. Thanks. It definitely helped. Now if I can just figure out
    how to configure the panels I have downloaded and can't seem to apply
    to the corresponding cockpit. Oh well, that's for another thread.

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:56:03 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
    Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Around L.A., "the Valley" is always "the San Fernando Valley."
    >As in, like, valley girls...

    Excellent!! > http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Excellent.wav

    Party on, dude. San Dimas football rules!

    On 25 Aug 2005 12:47:51 -0700, "aakermit" <aakermit@earthlink.net>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Got it. Thanks. It definitely helped. Now if I can just figure out how
    >to configure the panels I have downloaded and can't seem to apply
    >to the corresponding cockpit. Oh well, that's for another thread.

    go ahead and post your panel configuration task.. an `alias' can be
    used in the panel.cfg file

    typical content of: Panel.cfg

    [fltsim]
    //alias=FSFSConv\panel.Jet.Heavy
    alias=common panels\757-200

    Gregory,
    Thanks for the tip. I'm knee-deep in other projects now, so I will
    save your message and give it a try when I'm less busy. Time
    permitting, for diversion, I'm "Quilling" around Southern California in
    my Piper Tri Pacer Amphibian.
    Greg

Video Games