HP error message : "incorrect black printer cartridge"

I have had an HP1210v PSC for about 2 years now. I recently got
some flashing lights for the check print cartridge error light.

The diagnostics in the HP director states that "the black
printer cartridge is the wrong kind". I have had the same
cartridge in there since installation, and I don't think
this is an "out of ink" problem.

I emailed HP, and they had several suggestions (none of which
worked, duh, like cleaning the contacts and resetting the printer
and whatnot). They have a patch which is supposed to fix this,
but when executed it gives the error message "did not find
an eleigible printer to update".

Hp states this patch always works, which, obviously, it doesn't.

They now say it must be a hardware problem, but if a patch exists,
I'm guessing it must be a software prob of some sort. I haven't
tried replacing the cartridge (20$), because I'm still guessing
its a software problem.

Any ideas???
7 answers Last reply
More about error message incorrect black printer cartridge

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:24:35 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers kwijybo
    <ertweuyrto@urtypoertpeorwut.com> wrote:

    >Any ideas???

    IIRC, HP carts have an expiration date. Is your cart beyond this date?
    ----------
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote:

    >>Any ideas???
    >
    >IIRC, HP carts have an expiration date. Is your cart beyond this date?

    Didn't see the original message, but would add that certain HP printers use 45
    black carts, and others use 15 black carts. There is no physical difference
    between the two, other than the fact that 15s have 1/2 the ink. A printer set to
    use the 15 will not print with a 45.

    Flip open the top of the ink cartridge holder of both the black and
    color and look at the underside of the lids. There is a black spring
    loaded plastic part that push the cartridge against the contacts.
    There is a little part at the front that is easily broken. Compare
    with the one on the color one to see if that's the case. If it is you
    can put a small piece of plactic (in my case the clip on a Sharpie
    marker) or fold a very small piece of paper and put on top of the ink
    cartridge against the small plastic at the front of the cartridge so
    that when you close the lid to the holder it will force the cartidge
    tightly against the contacts.

    <VH> wrote in message news:7f5b319ubnidh5cdnamfheehnskmc77tis@4ax.com...
    > Flip open the top of the ink cartridge holder of both the black and
    > color and look at the underside of the lids. There is a black spring
    > loaded plastic part that push the cartridge against the contacts.
    > There is a little part at the front that is easily broken. Compare
    > with the one on the color one to see if that's the case.

    This model has a different carriage design and the above does not apply.

    I would expect that a cartridge that has been in the printer for two years may
    have an electrical issue; the cartridges are typically rated for six months
    in-printer life. A new cartridge would probably solve the original posters
    issue.

    Regards,
  5. regarding the dissention of opinions above,
    I just bought a new $35 HP15 black cartridge, completely clean.
    I still get said error message. I'm guessing something is wrong with
    the mechanical contacts as one of the posters suggested.
  6. hey, quick update, when I installed the cartridge i made sure to firmly push it against the contacts before shutting the lever. That worked! So, maybe try this before bringing to computer repair shop. :)

    Jerry - using Ubuntu, not Windows or MAC OS

Printers Hewlett Packard Error Message Peripherals