Does thermal paste lose its efficiency over time?

Does thermal paste lose its efficiency over time?

• Yes, all thermal paste degrades over time, including top products like Artic Silver

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Yes, but only the cheap stuff.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Yes, but not by much, so only overclockers need worry.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No, its its done right you never have to do it again.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I think so, the generic grease that comes with the HSF or CPU I would say would only last and I mean be fully effective maybe in just a year, considering you use the pc on a somewhat daily basis. A good thermal paste like Artic Silver 5 I think would last a year or two.

Also since there's heat involve, the warmer or hotter the cpu the shorter the lifespan of the thermalpaste.

So there are many factors like the quality, heat, exposure and etc.

But for me I think it should be replaced on a yearly basis, but then again the pc would be outdated and needs upgrading. :wink:

koolaidkitten

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
yeah I think Arctic Silver is pretty good up to about 2 years. after that it starts getting a wee bit solid/crumbly and should be re-applied.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
awesome question I have no clue as I just slap the stuff on and usualy dont worry about it... (I upgrade so often I doubt the stuff ever gets old lol) I should probably redo the TIM on my OCed Northwood as its just the stock thermal pad not even AS but the temps seem fine so I never bother :)

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
I hear AS5 gets better with age. it settles and forms a more uniform thinner layer over time.

I think it would be nice to record the temps you get when you first apply AS5 and then re recored the temps a month later.

The thermal paste on those intel stock coolers is another story, over time that grey waxy stuff turns into a hard, dry kina grit.

good question btw

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
From Arctic Silver's website:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity.
Arctic Silver is a grease and does not have any adhesive qualities. It will never dry or set and cannot be used to glue a heatsink to a chip.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I think it would be nice to record the temps you get when you first apply AS5 and then re recored the temps a month later.
that's a good point. Also make sure to clean up all the dust from your heatsink/fan and your case fans to make sure they are in the same condition when you first applied the paste.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I say no. It's purpose it to fill in the microscopic gaps in the HS and cpu, and once it's there and has set up, leave it alone.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Ive had my computer for 6 years and it runs 24/7 Never replaced the thermal paste. And the cpu usually averages 65% during normal use and i play games with it that max it out (older games) and it has never overheated. It only has one fan that is the on the Power supply. I dont think it degrades. Room temp is usually around 75 F

tomaytohead

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
In my experience, yes thermal paste can deteriorate over time. I lost a processor because of it not too long ago..

It was a self built 900mhz amd athlon t-bird (awesomely fast computer when it was 1st built) and probably after being through 4yrs of college, with no a/c in 90 degree weather, it was time.
After the processor died, i pulled it out and all that was left of the grease was a little residue on the sides of core. I think the how much heat thing has a lot to do with it too, though. The thing ran HOT (130F+ at idle, not much more at load though)
I don't know about cheaper / more expensive stuff though...

I would say re-apply every 2 or 3 years.

Theremal paste contains liquid, as with any liquid it will evaporate over time. Evaporation causes the paste to eventually shrink and crack, thus less paste will be contacting the heatshink and the CPU.

Worse, as paste drys out it also cracks and that can result in tiny little air pockets in what is left of the paste. Last I heard, air is really not a good conductor of heat.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
On a similar yet totally unrelated note, I read something several years ago (sorry, no sources) that did tests on heat conductions with a single paste, and then after applying one paste, then removing it and applying a different paste.

The bottom line was that you never will get all the old paste off, so pick the one you want from the beginning and stick with it.

Now, back to the topic. I personally think this is sort of like that hype surrounding the power drawn by computers and the opinions on what size of power supply one should have, but that's just my opinion. :p

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The problem is that it would be difficult to determine whether any benifit was due to aging paste or suboptimal initial application, unless you did some very carefull benchmarking when you first applied the paste.

Not just the temps, but the fan RPM's, room temp ...

It would take a lot of careful setup and patience to fully test this.

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I would say re-apply every 2 or 3 years.

Theremal paste contains liquid, as with any liquid it will evaporate over time. Evaporation causes the paste to eventually shrink and crack, thus less paste will be contacting the heatshink and the CPU.

Worse, as paste drys out it also cracks and that can result in tiny little air pockets in what is left of the paste. Last I heard, air is really not a good conductor of heat.

Well AS5 has 99,9% pure silver in it, so it is obviously the silver that does the heat transfer and I don’t think that it would even matter that the 0.1% of liquid dried out if it even would. All that 0.1% of liquid is used for is so the consumer can have the silver dust stick to the cpu until they slap on the hsf and so it wont blow away before the hsf is on.

on another note a about cooling paste, I have seen a liquid metal such as mercury used as a conductor between a cpu and a hsf. The stuff I saw wasn’t mercury because that sh!t is poison but it was a liquid metal non the less and I thought that would work rather well

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i usually reaplly my thermal paste every time i do a deep clean of my computer, every 6 months or so...bucause i remove the HSF and then i have to clean and reaply the thermal paste.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
From my personal experience, thermal paste of good quality should be good enough to maintain their efficiency over time. Well, from my personnal experience at least.

My first P4 (a 1.8 Northwood) had a slight increase of average temperature over the 18 months or so I used it. I realized that it only had it thermal pad when I upgraded it to a P4 3.0-800fsb Northwood in january 2004 if I remember right. For my new computer I used Artic Silver paste. It was, and still is at 38-40C (can't tell in F) at idle and reach max 50C during heavy gaming (Half-Life2 :Episode1 right now, AWESOME game by the way!!!) or video encoding that I do a lot. I especially do a lot of transcoding from different video format with application that use multithreading, which make the cpu heat even more.

So, these number are for sure entirely accurate because I'm fairly scared of cpu overheating and first thing I do when I quit a game (after say 2 hours of continuous gaming) or heavy video encoding is to check the cpu temperature. I also remember freaking out when I saw my new cpu loaded temperature going from 47-48 to 50 compare to my old Northwood 1.8 overclock to 2.4-533, which is nothing I now realize.

My 2 cents. :D

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
the 99.9% silver is the purity of the silver, not the silver content of the paste. This is a common misconception. If it were 99.9% silver content it would look like silver and not be a grayish paste.
I figure the paste will last until the computer reaches obselescence, after that point it probably doesn't matter if the paste is working to full capacity anyway.

-mcg

the 99.9% silver is the purity of the silver, not the silver content of the paste. This is a common misconception. If it were 99.9% silver content it would look like silver and not be a grayish paste.
I figure the paste will last until the computer reaches obselescence, after that point it probably doesn't matter if the paste is working to full capacity anyway.

-mcg

Yep, if AS 5 was actually 99.9% silver it would be solid silver, not a paste.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
No, the paste is to fill the microscopic gaps in the HS, mainly. Most of it gets pushed out when you clamp the HS down and what remains is only in the tiny grooves in the HS and the processor. It has nothing to do with glueing anything down, or preventing anything from being melted or whatever. It's purpose is to fill voids and increase thermal conduction.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The thermal paste conducts the heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

If the CPU and the heatsink both had 100% flat 100% smooth surfaces which made perfect contact it probably wouldn't help.

But on a microsopic level the surfaces are far from flat and the trapped air makes an excellent insullator.

No paste and your CPU will burn up, but there won't be any melting.

Aluminum doesn't melt until 660C, Copper is good to 1084C and Silicon to 1414C.

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I suspect there is no single answer that works in every case.

A computer that has not been moved much may need reapplication less often than a computer case that is used at LAN parties, for example. Bumping the case or shaking it during transit could easily effect the cpu-heatsink interface.

Additionally, a computer with better cooling and airflow will have a temperature range that is smaller than a computer that has poor airflow and frequently transitions from very cool (when off) to very hot (when on and under load). The difference in magnitudes between the cycles of heating/expanding and cooling/contracting between two computers with different designs could be very large. These cycles, and especially their intensity, could conceivably play a role in the process by which the cpu-heatsink interface goes from air-free to cracked and dry.