Aspect Ratio and SP2

September 22, 2004 4:20:27 AM

My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13 in. x 8.25
in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is useful for
apps like spreadsheets.

Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual ratio of
1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen, leaving blank
space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my browser, is
stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and pictures
"fatter" than they're supposed to be.

How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their original slim
figures?

Casey

More about : aspect ratio sp2

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 4:20:28 AM

Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
settings?

"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message

| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
in. x 8.25
| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
useful for
| apps like spreadsheets.
|
| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
ratio of
| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
leaving blank
| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
browser, is
| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
pictures
| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
|
| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
original slim
| figures?
|
| Casey

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 4:48:52 AM

Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need another clue.
Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control Panel has a
section labelled Display, but the only relevant information I find
there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.

I'd sure appreciate further guidance.

Casey

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
>settings?
>

>"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
>|

>| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
>in. x 8.25
>| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
>useful for
>| apps like spreadsheets.
>|
>| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
>ratio of
>| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
>leaving blank
>| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
>browser, is
>| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
>pictures
>| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
>|
>| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
>original slim
>| figures?
>|
>| Casey

September 22, 2004 4:48:53 AM

Your getting close, there should be an advanced or settings
button or tab in the Display properties. You can also find
this by right clicking on the desktop and selecting
properties/settings.
Also you can look in the device manager.

| Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need
another clue.
| Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control
Panel has a
| section labelled Display, but the only relevant
information I find
| there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.
|
| I'd sure appreciate further guidance.
|
| Casey
|

| On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
|
| >Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
| >settings?
| >

| >"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
| >|
| >|
| >| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen --
13
| >in. x 8.25
| >| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
| >useful for
| >| apps like spreadsheets.
| >|
| >| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the
usual
| >ratio of
| >| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the
screen,
| >leaving blank
| >| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including
my
| >browser, is
| >| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text
and
| >pictures
| >| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
| >|
| >| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
| >original slim
| >| figures?
| >|
| >| Casey
| >|

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:10:55 PM

It sounds like you need to install the display drivers for that laptop.The
resolution is an unstandard one used on widescreen laptops, (like 1440*900
or 1200*800) but you didn't supply HP/Compaq model, so we can't provide a
link or what resolution you should set it to...

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need another clue.
> Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control Panel has a
> section labelled Display, but the only relevant information I find
> there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.
>
> I'd sure appreciate further guidance.
>
> Casey
>

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
> <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
>
> >Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
> >settings?
> >

> >"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
> >|

> >| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
> >in. x 8.25
> >| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
> >useful for
> >| apps like spreadsheets.
> >|
> >| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
> >ratio of
> >| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
> >leaving blank
> >| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
> >browser, is
> >| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
> >pictures
> >| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
> >|
> >| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
> >original slim
> >| figures?
> >|
> >| Casey

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:13:36 AM

I think you may have led me to the solution. With another check on
Display Properties / Settings I found an available screen resolution
of 1280 x 800. This gives it the behavior I'm accustomed to -- apps
like Word or Excel span the screen but with correct aspect ratio, and
jpegs or mpegs in full screen mode leave dark space on the sides. And
the ladies aren't fat now!

If there is a better display driver than what's installed, I'd like to
know about it. The laptop is a Presario X1000, specifically an
X1030US. The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. Chip is a
1.4 gHz Pentium M / Centrino.

Thanks for your guidance.

Casey

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:10:55 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
<tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It sounds like you need to install the display drivers for that laptop.The
>resolution is an unstandard one used on widescreen laptops, (like 1440*900
>or 1200*800) but you didn't supply HP/Compaq model, so we can't provide a
>link or what resolution you should set it to...
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:13:37 AM

You can look for updated drivers on www.HP.com or
www.ati.com