Aspect Ratio and SP2

My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13 in. x 8.25
in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is useful for
apps like spreadsheets.

Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual ratio of
1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen, leaving blank
space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my browser, is
stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and pictures
"fatter" than they're supposed to be.

How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their original slim
figures?

Casey
6 answers Last reply
More about aspect ratio

    Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
    settings?

    "Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message

    | My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
    in. x 8.25
    | in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
    useful for
    | apps like spreadsheets.
    |
    | Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
    ratio of
    | 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
    leaving blank
    | space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
    browser, is
    | stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
    pictures
    | "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
    |
    | How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
    original slim
    | figures?
    |
    | Casey

    Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need another clue.
    Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control Panel has a
    section labelled Display, but the only relevant information I find
    there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.

    I'd sure appreciate further guidance.

    Casey

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
    >settings?
    >

    >"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
    >|

    >| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
    >in. x 8.25
    >| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
    >useful for
    >| apps like spreadsheets.
    >|
    >| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
    >ratio of
    >| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
    >leaving blank
    >| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
    >browser, is
    >| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
    >pictures
    >| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
    >|
    >| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
    >original slim
    >| figures?
    >|
    >| Casey

    Your getting close, there should be an advanced or settings
    button or tab in the Display properties. You can also find
    this by right clicking on the desktop and selecting
    properties/settings.
    Also you can look in the device manager.

    | Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need
    another clue.
    | Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control
    Panel has a
    | section labelled Display, but the only relevant
    information I find
    | there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.
    |
    | I'd sure appreciate further guidance.
    |
    | Casey
    |

    | On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    | <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    |
    | >Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
    | >settings?
    | >

    | >"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen --
    13
    | >in. x 8.25
    | >| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
    | >useful for
    | >| apps like spreadsheets.
    | >|
    | >| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the
    usual
    | >ratio of
    | >| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the
    screen,
    | >leaving blank
    | >| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including
    my
    | >browser, is
    | >| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text
    and
    | >pictures
    | >| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
    | >|
    | >| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
    | >original slim
    | >| figures?
    | >|
    | >| Casey
    | >|

    It sounds like you need to install the display drivers for that laptop.The
    resolution is an unstandard one used on widescreen laptops, (like 1440*900
    or 1200*800) but you didn't supply HP/Compaq model, so we can't provide a
    link or what resolution you should set it to...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hmmm... Sounds like a good idea, but I guess I need another clue.
    > Where do I find the graphics properties listed? Control Panel has a
    > section labelled Display, but the only relevant information I find
    > there is screen resolution, which is set at 1024 x 768.
    >
    > I'd sure appreciate further guidance.
    >
    > Casey
    >

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:28 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
    > <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:
    >
    > >Have you opened the graphics properties and looked for
    > >settings?
    > >

    > >"Casey Donovan" <kcd@mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message
    > >|

    > >| My Compaq / HP laptop has an unusually wide screen -- 13
    > >in. x 8.25
    > >| in. height, for an aspect ratio of about 1.57. This is
    > >useful for
    > >| apps like spreadsheets.
    > >|
    > >| Before I let MS install SP2, ordinary apps with the usual
    > >ratio of
    > >| 1.33 or so would simply sit in the center of the screen,
    > >leaving blank
    > >| space on either side. After SP2, everything, including my
    > >browser, is
    > >| stretched out to fill the entire screen, making text and
    > >pictures
    > >| "fatter" than they're supposed to be.
    > >|
    > >| How can I get the ladies in the pictures back to their
    > >original slim
    > >| figures?
    > >|
    > >| Casey

    I think you may have led me to the solution. With another check on
    Display Properties / Settings I found an available screen resolution
    of 1280 x 800. This gives it the behavior I'm accustomed to -- apps
    like Word or Excel span the screen but with correct aspect ratio, and
    jpegs or mpegs in full screen mode leave dark space on the sides. And
    the ladies aren't fat now!

    If there is a better display driver than what's installed, I'd like to
    know about it. The laptop is a Presario X1000, specifically an
    X1030US. The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. Chip is a
    1.4 gHz Pentium M / Centrino.

    Thanks for your guidance.

    Casey

    You can look for updated drivers on www.HP.com or
    www.ati.com

    |I think you may have led me to the solution. With another
    check on
    | Display Properties / Settings I found an available screen
    resolution
    | of 1280 x 800. This gives it the behavior I'm accustomed
    to -- apps
    | like Word or Excel span the screen but with correct aspect
    ratio, and
    | jpegs or mpegs in full screen mode leave dark space on the
    sides. And
    | the ladies aren't fat now!
    |
    | If there is a better display driver than what's installed,
    I'd like to
    | know about it. The laptop is a Presario X1000,
    specifically an
    | X1030US. The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon
    9200. Chip is a
    | 1.4 gHz Pentium M / Centrino.
    |
    | Thanks for your guidance.
    |
    | Casey
    |

    | On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:10:55 +0300, "Thomas Wendell"
    | <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    |
    | >It sounds like you need to install the display drivers
    for that laptop.The
    | >resolution is an unstandard one used on widescreen
    laptops, (like 1440*900
    | >or 1200*800) but you didn't supply HP/Compaq model, so we
    can't provide a
    | >link or what resolution you should set it to...

Windows XP